Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managing Agent Name on AST

Hi all,

If I am managing a property on behalf of the landlord, how should I document the details on the AST so that if a court case ensued the Landlord would not have to attend court?

I see 3 options available:

1/ Landlord Name C/o myself
    2/ Myself noted as Landlord
    3/ Myself noted as Landlord Agent

Any advice appreciated...

You could be named as the landlord, or named as joint landlords.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Number 2 is a very bad idea. If you are named as landlord (whether alone or with the actual landlord) you will be liable to the same extent as the actual landlord.

What it seems you are trying to achieve here is engineering a situation where you appear in court instead of the landlord. I do not think you can do that.

On the whole best to leave your name out of the agreement. Putting it in can cause problems.

Comment

LC, could the court see this as a sham arrangement to avoid the Legal Services Act (ie allow a non qualified person to represent the landlord)? In which case - would that automatically result in any action being thrown out?

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
          LC, could the court see this as a sham arrangement to avoid the Legal Services Act (ie allow a non qualified person to represent the landlord)? In which case - would that automatically result in any action being thrown out?
          Rephrase your questions as statements adding in "drive a horse and coaches through" and you have hit the nail on the head.

Comment

Thank you for all your replies - interesting views.

Am I correct in saying that if I am noted on the AST as C/o myself, I would still have no right to represent in court? If noted as Joint landlord is it ok for only one party to attend in court?

In which case I should note as Landlord because I doubt anyone would ever do a title search and bring to court.

Reason for all this is that the LL resides abroad and recently had to fly here twice simply to attend court.

Comment

There is no proper definition of what a landlord is in England & Wales.

Hence, it is fine naming yourself as landlord for the purpose you speak of. The problem is that naming yourself as landlord may open up yourself to lots of other problems that you didn't envisage.

The landlord could get a solicitor to attend court with you instead of flying over
              Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Thanks.

Interesting!!

Comment

Just to emphasise the point, an agent representing him/herself as a landlord will be treated by the law as if s/he were the landlord even if s/he obtains no benefit other than commission. The agent will be fully liable for all breaches of obligation. It is madness for an agent to prepare a tenancy agreement with him/herself named as landlord.

The right to appear as a litigant in person is a personal right which cannot be delegated, even by power of attorney. To allow otherwise would undermine the protection afforded by the Legal Services Act 2007. The court may exercise its discretion and allow an unauthorised person to address it on behalf of another, but no one should expect to be able to do it regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post

The landlord could get a solicitor to attend court with you instead of flying over
                    The landlord could get a solicitor to attend full stop. No need for the agent to attend unless s/he's needed as a witness.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
                      The landlord could get a solicitor to attend full stop. No need for the agent to attend unless s/he's needed as a witness.

I understand that.
                      The agent will have a much thorough understanding of the situation than either the solicitor or the landlord.

Comment

I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was just pointing it out for OP's benefit.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Section 21 superseded new Section 21 - Landlord Vs Tenant 1 Vs Tenant 2
                          by propster717
                          Hi all,

I would be grateful for any advice:

I'm a landlord as follows:

AST - commenced 12/04/2021
                          6 month fixed term, now contractual periodic (has not been renewed).
                          Tenant 1
                          Tenant 2
                          (No children)
                          Guarantor (relation of Tenant 1)...
                          20-01-2022, 15:12 PM
                        • Reply to Ending of a tenancy
                          by Jon66
                          I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but I do not wait for tenants to move out before marketing the property, and I sign the new tenancy agreement providing the current tenant has not attempted to rescind the notice/everything seems to point to them leaving, when they said they would. A 6 week...
                          20-01-2022, 15:07 PM
                        • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                          by jpucng62
                          The last 20 years may have been the 'golden years' for BTL. There is more regulation & higher taxation on BTLs; mortgage costs are going up; tenants are getting more rights & EPC C is coming.

The stock market is the place to go instead - £20k per year in an ISA means all tax is...
                          20-01-2022, 15:07 PM
                        • Reply to N244 Application Notice Q10 Evidence
                          by rapid111111
                          Thanks for the reply. This is a different case.
                          The defendants are asking to set aside. Any paperwork sent to me has come from the courts only and not them.

I've provided the defendants and the court with paperwork in preparation for the hearing to set aside....
                          20-01-2022, 15:03 PM
                          by davetg
                          I still can't think of a better thing to invest in even given all the new regulations. The lessons i have learnt are:-
                          1) Never let to people on benefits.
                          2) Don't over leverage your borrowing.
                          3) Have access to spare funds for unexpected things like a new boiler being required or...
                          20-01-2022, 15:00 PM
                        • Reply to Possession hearing
                          by davetg
                          The two I have done were quite informal - the tenants didn't show up so I had to wait quite a while as they give every opportunity for them to arrive late.

I was shown into a room with the judge sitting at a big table and offered a seat on the other side of the table. The judge looked at...
                          20-01-2022, 14:49 PM
                        • Possession hearing
                          by Gizmo1959
                          I am a LL and am due to attend a Possession Hearing on one of my properties in March
                          Would appreciate any information on what I need to take with me and what to expect when I get there
                          Thanks
                          20-01-2022, 14:22 PM
                          by doobrey
                          +1 on the above (post #17).

To item 1, I would add: 'Risk'.
                          20-01-2022, 14:43 PM
                        • Greetings, I Come in Peace
                          by AVJ113
                          Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
                          20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
                        • Reply to Possession hearing
                          by Gizmo1959
                          Served a Section 8 due to rent arrears.
                          Bit of an unusual situation (I think) Tenant was moved by Social Services due to domestic violence. Rent was being paid by Universal Credit for a while then ended. Managed to track tenant down and provided letters for her to sign to end the tenancy which...
                          20-01-2022, 14:32 PM
                        Working...
                        X