Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Act consent lacking- effect on tenants

Hi

Last year I purchased a 4 room flat to let to students, the property was a repo' from the bank.

A couple of weeks ago I had a letter from the Council informing me that when the house was converted into two flats in 2002 the Building Regulations were not signed off! So loads of work needs doing to the property, fire escape, smoke alarms etc'.

It turns out my solicitor didn't check this out, but that is another story!

My problem is that the Council want the room in the loft putting back to a loft, which means I will lose a bedroom and will have 4 tenants but only 3 rooms.

I am really unsure how I stand with the tenants (who have a contract until December). It seems unreasonable to expect 2 of them to share (even if I offer a discount).

Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to handle this?

Thanks.

Originally posted by simonc View Post
    Hi

Last year I purchased a 4 room flat to let to students, the property was a repo' from the bank.

A couple of weeks ago I had a letter from the Council informing me that when the house was converted into two flats in 2002 the Building Regulations were not signed off! So loads of work needs doing to the property, fire escape, smoke alarms etc'.

It turns out my solicitor didn't check this out, but that is another story!

My problem is that the Council want the room in the loft putting back to a loft, which means I will lose a bedroom and will have 4 tenants but only 3 rooms.

I am really unsure how I stand with the tenants (who have a contract until December). It seems unreasonable to expect 2 of them to share (even if I offer a discount).

Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to handle this?

Thanks.
    i personally think your solicitor should deal with this and all the associated costs as a gesture of good will as if you need to serve notice there will be costs involved etc and why should you have to suffer (& your tenants of course) for your solicitors apparent incompetance. Maybe your solicitors could offer financial help towards re-locating one of your tenants??

Comment

Thanks for the reply, they are meeting the costs, but I still have to deal with the tenants....

I just don't know where I stand legally, as I will have to tell these 4 tenants there are now only 3 rooms and suggest that either 2 of them share or one of them leaves.

Also, there is going to be a lot if grief for 6 weeks while the work is being done, it would be better if they all moved on.

Is there any rule that tenants can be told to go if essential works are required to the property?

Comment

Originally posted by simonc View Post
        Thanks for the reply, they are meeting the costs, but I still have to deal with the tenants....

I just don't know where I stand legally, as I will have to tell these 4 tenants there are now only 3 rooms and suggest that either 2 of them share or one of them leaves.

Also, there is going to be a lot if grief for 6 weeks while the work is being done, it would be better if they all moved on.

Is there any rule that tenants can be told to go if essential works are required to the property?
        On final point: yes. See mandatory ground 6 in Schedule 2 to Housing Act 1988.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks Jeffrey, having a bit of trouble finding the section you are making reference to ,any chance of a link to it?

Much appreciated!

Comment

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content...&filesize=4438

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
              Jenny7
              Hi, hope you can offer some insight, we are looking to move rental property due to new job starting in September in a new location.
              So thankfully we've a window to shop around to find a new place.
              We've found one suitable spot but we're still looking around, the new place has asked for credit...
              17-07-2017, 12:10 PM
            • Reply to Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
              MrShed
              Not meaning to bang the same drum over and over - but I repeat that you dont have to submit your current landlord as a reference, you have another reference.

This isnt the rental system - no one is ever obligated to give anyone a reference, regardless of the source or cause.

20-07-2017, 12:34 PM
              JK0
              I suspect it's just the agent who does not want to lose client or commission by there being even one day void. Personally, I am always flexible about tenant moving dates.

It will be rather ironic if you can't move on notice day, and they then have to explain to new tenant that he can't...
              20-07-2017, 12:33 PM
            • Advice please - tenant potentially challenging Section 21
              newlandlord17
              I was an unexpected landlord when I inherited a property recently. Originally I thought I wanted to carry on but then the tenant was nagging about small repairs and when my contractor went in he said the house was very messy, there was a smell of cat urine and a lampshade and door had been damaged....
              20-07-2017, 10:21 AM
            • Reply to Advice please - tenant potentially challenging Section 21
              islandgirl
              A tenant once reported me to the council because the property runs on LPG and LPG is more expensive than normal gas.- obviously the property was already on LPG when she moved in and there is no gas in this rural area! The council came out and inspected and were very nice to everyone but as you can imagine...
              20-07-2017, 12:33 PM
            • What next? Bailiffs?
              MrEllington
              We rented our property last year, and had a tenant that didn't pay rent for the last 6 months of his tenancy.
              He cited health issues, but was clearly seen with a new car, and waltzing around dumping furniture that he didn't need

We had to use a Section 21 eviction notice to get him...
              19-07-2017, 14:12 PM
            • Reply to What next? Bailiffs?
              islandgirl
              Ha ha I do! However to be honest I love the thought that he has to struggle to pay the £100 a month or so every month - I am sure he thinks of me fondly as he sends off the payment! He has paid off about half of it now though - I waited 2 years and got nothing so sent it to the High Court for £60.There...
              20-07-2017, 12:30 PM
            • Reply to Advice please - tenant potentially challenging Section 21
              theartfullodger
              Would need to expire after end fixed term.

Have S3 & s48 notices been served prior to s21?

Are you confident s21 was valid? Told by solicitor Tuesday that 70% of landlords s21s are invalid....
              20-07-2017, 12:22 PM
              Jenny7
              thanks, but it's exactly this sort of thing we wish to avoid, bad faith and stress :-(
              is the rental system really set up like this? to prevent tenants from looking and shopping and moving with ease?
              I guess we've rented the same spot so long we figured we could move when chose not be subject...
              20-07-2017, 12:22 PM
              JK0
              I wouldn't sweat it. Worse comes to worse, you can stay on at the end of your notice. Landlord would still have to go to court to get rid of you.
              20-07-2017, 12:17 PM
            Working...
            X