Electrical Safety Certificate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Safety Certificate

Is a Electrical Safety Certificate now compulsory for all landlords?

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    It might be for work at their properties but not necessarily for the individual's body.
    Except Gary Numan- his friend's electric.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Not to my knowledge

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/electrical_safety.htm

Comment

Jeffrey; sheer class.
        All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

I just had a periodic test on a one bed flat (the one recommended every 5 years) It came back as 'unsatisfactory' . I take it that anything picked up with a level 1 catagory must be attended to, or it would make the LL negligent ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bel View Post
            I just had a periodic test on a one bed flat (the one recommended every 5 years) It came back as 'unsatisfactory' . I take it that anything picked up with a level 1 catagory must be attended to, or it would make the LL negligent ?
            What was considered unsatisfactory?
            ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

Originally posted by Paragon View Post
              What was considered unsatisfactory?
              Its the overall rating for the whole of the inspection, the only other rating possible is 'satisfactory'

Catagory 1 (ie "requires urgent attention") observations on this report include
              No gas or water main bonding
              meter tails & main earth wire inadequate size
              No supplementary RCD protection for socket outlets
              Distribution board insufficient circuit way/obsolete type
              Supplementary bonding in Bathroom required
              Marking, labelling and identfication of installation unsatisfactory

There are some catagory 2's also ( " requires improvement")

Comment

Its the overall rating for the whole of the inspection, the only other rating possible is 'satisfactory'

Catagory 1 (ie "requires urgent attention") observations on this report include
                No gas or water main bonding
                meter tails & main earth wire inadequate size
                No supplementary RCD protection for socket outlets
                Distribution board insufficient circuit way/obsolete type
                Supplementary bonding in Bathroom required
                Marking, labelling and identfication of installation unsatisfactory
                Many of these items are things which would have been deemed perfectly OK until very recently, this is just up-to-the-minute interpretation of the regs. I would say the more significant items were the lack of gas/water bonding, and supplementary bonding in the bathroom... and I'd be interested to know why they weren't raised as issues 5 years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                  Many of these items are things which would have been deemed perfectly OK until very recently, this is just up-to-the-minute interpretation of the regs. I would say the more significant items were the lack of gas/water bonding, and supplementary bonding in the bathroom... and I'd be interested to know why they weren't raised as issues 5 years ago?
                  Because this is the first periodic check since it was installed +30 years ago !!!

I just need opinions of what is safe and responsible for a LL; rather than up to regs.

So the issues you have raised about bonding are your opinion of what you deem as acceptable for the LL to have to fix, Eric?

Comment

Because this is the first periodic check since it was installed +30 years ago !!!
                    Ah, fair enough - I misunderstood and thought it had last been done 5 years ago.

So the issues you have raised about bonding are your opinion of what you deem as acceptable for the LL to have to fix, Eric?
                    I reckoned they were the most important, but I wouldn't like to go so far as to say that it would be acceptable just to fix those because (a) I'm not a qualified electrician and (b) I haven't seen the property or the electrical kit concerned; it makes vague words like "inadequate" and "insufficient" hard to quantify.

Comment

Its funny how much is made of getting a periodic inspection done, but there is not much info regarding how LL's should act on them.

I think I will call Trading Standards tomorrow.

Comment

I thought getting a certificate was now Law (Since 10/06) for landlords, like the Corgi Gas one is

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
                          Its only compulsory for the person managing (landlords) of a HMO, other than HMO's that consist entirely of self contained flats. I should add that its a requirement to have the fixed electrical installation inspected and tested at intervals of not greater than 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by red40 View Post
                            Its only compulsory for the person managing (landlords) of a HMO, other than HMO's that consist entirely of self contained flats. I should add that its a requirement to have the fixed electrical installation inspected and tested at intervals of not greater than 5 years.
                            But is this law? as I checked with my insurance Co. and they have No idea!!!???

Comment

Its a statutory requirement, so yes it is.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X