Final inspection and moving out meeting - might seem to be a daft question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final inspection and moving out meeting - might seem to be a daft question

We are due to meet for the final inspection, moving out meeting this weekend, we have agreed the date and time.
    When the tenants moved in they were late, annoying but not too bad as we were waiting inside the house for them.(He walked in 20 mins late, he went to the shops for a hot bacon butty and a can of coke)
    They have already moved some things out, if they are late for the moving out meeting, can we let ourselves in, say 30 mins after the agreed time and start the inspection? I don't want to be hanging around but don't want to make any mistakes.
    Many thanks in advance

Originally posted by kangoo1 View Post
    can we let ourselves in, say 30 mins after the agreed time and start the inspection? I don't want to be hanging around but don't want to make any mistakes.
    If I understand you correctly then the tenants haven't returned their key and aren't doing so, ending the tenancy, until after the inspection, right?

In which case you shouldn't enter the property now, any more than at any other time during the tenancy. But if they're definitely moving out, then there's probably not a lot of bad that can come of it if you do enter.

Personally I wouldn't do the checkout until after they'd given you the key back; then you can organise the time for doing it convenient to you, and then if they are late or don't come (and they don't need to be there), then that's up to them.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, last time I did the inspection with the tenant and thought that this was best practise. What is your view?

Comment

Originally posted by kangoo1 View Post
        Thanks for your reply, last time I did the inspection with the tenant and thought that this was best practise. What is your view?
        Have a look at this thread from last week!

Comment

Interesting reading, many thanks for your assistance.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Loft conversion building regs
            by Handy21
            Hi guys this might have already been covered before but I’m currently purchasing a 3 bed house and near completion our solicitor has managed to find out they don’t have building regs for the 3rd bedroom (loft conversion). My question is can I let this as a 3 bedroom or is it legally only a 2 bedroom,...
            27-10-2021, 07:16 AM
          • Reply to Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
            by DoricPixie
            In the opening post you said there was 6 month fixed term AST with both your niece and her now-ex-partner named as joint tenants. Now you are saying there was never a tenancy agreement drawn up.

With the benefit of hindsight it would have been better if you'd had your niece pay money into...
            27-10-2021, 06:33 AM
          • Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
            by Yorkie2020
            Good evening all,

I wonder if I could get some advice on ending an AST tenancy in England.

Originally a 6 month AST last Sept between my niece and her partner, I foolishly listed both on the AST as joint tenants and didn't list him as a permitted, there was no deposit paid....
            20-10-2021, 19:44 PM
          • Reply to Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
            by Yorkie2020
            Guess I've been very lucky this time. My niece has informed her partner that she is ending the tenancy and signing up for a new one in her name only and he is ok with it. She did point out that he will no longer be responsible for any more rent or bills when it's totally in her name.
            JPkeats,...
            27-10-2021, 02:02 AM
          • Reply to Increasing rent
            by jpkeates
            There may be something on the NRLA website, but I don't know of a standard template.

To be honest that clause doesn't seem to help you a lot, it stops you using a s13 notice (I'd wrongly assumed that because it said "may" you'd be able to) but doesn't actually help you with an...
            26-10-2021, 17:37 PM
          • Increasing rent
            by Berlingogirl
            Tenancy start date May 2020 in England. 6 month initial AST.
            My tenancy agreement says
            “The landlord may increase the rent after the first 52 weeks of the tenancy…..”
            Is there a specific form I should use?...
            26-10-2021, 13:33 PM
            by Berlingogirl
            Thanks jpkeates, I looked at the form 13 but that’s for if you don’t have anything in your tenancy agreement with regard to a rent increase. Is there a pro forma for a rent increase if there is a condition in your TA?
            26-10-2021, 17:05 PM
            by jpkeates
            If the tenancy is now an SPT, and you want to be ever so formal (and impose the increase without any agreement), search for form 13 (which is called something else on the government's tenancy forms page).

Otherwise, you just need to get the tenant to agree and start paying the new rent...
            26-10-2021, 13:58 PM
          • Reply to Advanced rent and S21 Notices
            by jpkeates
            It is quite likely that the 2 additional months might be seen as a deposit, unless the tenancy agreement is very specific about the initial payment being for months 1, 5 and 6.

If it is a deposit, you won't be able to use a s21 notice without returning it and the deposit will be unlawful...
            26-10-2021, 08:35 AM
          • Advanced rent and S21 Notices
            by Shorif908
            Hi All,

I have recently had new tenants move in.
            the estate agent did the whole thing and put them in.

The arrangement with rent payments was this. 6 months AST Tennants pay last 3 months rent in advance and then make 3 monthly payments in advance. Ie start of the month....
            26-10-2021, 08:06 AM
          Working...
          X