Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laying Laminate on Carpet Temporarily

An interesting one.

I have a T in a recently refurbished property who has requested to put laminate flooring in his daughter's room at his cost. T has suggested taking up carpet and putting back down at end of tenancy, or leaving the laminate floor behind.

Now, I could just say "rented as seen: no", or even "do that and the Tenancy will end at the earliest opportunity".

My approach is usually to work with Tenants who want to amend properties, provided that there is no detriment and it can be restored to the previous state practically at T cost, on the basis that happy Ts stay longer as they feel more at home, and therefore help me avoid admin and void costs.

In this case I'm pleased that T has decided to talk to me, as this gives me an opportunity to find a way that gives them what they want while being helpful for both, and I have detailed control over what happens.

One question for the forum is whether anyone has done this, and how is the (nearly new cappucino colour) carpet kept in pristine condition underneath if possible.

As far as I can see, I could either:

1 - Allow carpet to be raised professionally, and insist T puts it back professionally at the end of the Tenancy (which will be fairly cost effective), or insist that laminate stay and stash the carpet for a slightly smaller room elsewhere.

2 - Insist on floating 'click-fit' laminate - ie not nailed down - over the top and protect the carpet underneath eg from spilt coffee (what with? is there a mould risk?). At the end leave the laminate down, or lift and audit carpet condition as if it had never been there.

3 - Offer T options 1 and 2.

4 - Just say no, and carefully explain why.

Thoughts?

WWLZD?

ML
    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

The only good options really are 1. and 4.

I would probably go with 1. to be honest. Taking up the carpet, and the underlay, and grippy wood things (I don't know the proper term) isn't a massive task, and neither is having it laid again. I guess it just depends where the carpet would be stored in the meantime. You would probably want to have some control over that to make sure it's in the right environment so it doesn't get damaged.

Comment

I would also agree wit 1 & 4, although only consider 4 if I wanted to change the tenant!
      I also work with my tenants, customers in my mind, to ensure they're happy, but within the rules of agreement.

I had my first two tenants in and out fairly quickly, they didn't take too much care, although the only real problem was lack of cleaning. My current tenant, before moving in, requested that he could change the carpets throughout. The old one's had been down around 14 years and were fine but rather squashed! Fine with me, we agreed on the style and colour he was proposing and that they would need to be left down upon his vacancy. He also was an ex-carpet fitter, and indeed when I went round a few months later for a cup of tea and a chat to see how he was getting on, they were well fitted and much better than what I had before.
      Moral of the story? He's still there now, over 6 years later, and since rental rates haven't moved, I've kept the rate the same too. He looks after the place very well, pays on the dot.

2 & 3 I think will only encourage possible degrading of the carpet, maybe mould, considering how consistently cold and wet the UK is throughout the year.

Is your carpet really worth much? The tenants daughter maybe has some bug allergy, so I think its fair to agree on this one and that the laminate stays upon their vacancy, then you decide whether you want to keep it or not. As for the carpet, keep that yourself somewhere fairly dry if you really want to.

Hopefully you'll see your tenant happily there for many months/years to come.

regards, MP

Comment

I would agree to it on basis the f
        Laminate stays at end of tenancy and use carpet on another project.

This is based on assumption tenant is on long term tenancy not short 6 month one.

Comment

Originally posted by monsterp View Post
          I would also agree wit 1 & 4, although only consider 4 if I wanted to change the tenant!
          I also work with my tenants, customers in my mind, to ensure they're happy, but within the rules of agreement.

Is your carpet really worth much?

Hopefully you'll see your tenant happily there for many months/years to come.

regards, MP
          Thanks.

The carpet is literally one month old, and replacement would probably cost something around £150, which roughly relates to the money I've spent on doodahs and diddles for the particular T at the start.

Thanks for the comments. I'll go with yes but specify floating type flooring.

I have that installed elsewhere in the property and already had to raise part of it once when there was a bit of underfloor work needed to replace an earth tie on the gas pipe.

ML

Comment

Originally posted by Alexlandlord View Post
            I would agree to it on basis the f
            Laminate stays at end of tenancy and use carpet on another project.

This is based on assumption tenant is on long term tenancy not short 6 month one.
            It's a 6 month agreement, but likely to be a longer term tenancy.

My downside would be limited by a laminate bedroom not substantially reducing marketability.

ML

Comment

Originally posted by midlandslandlord View Post
              [...] but likely to be a longer term tenancy.
              Out of curiosity, what makes you say that? I found it difficult to explain to my LL that I do intend to stay for long, even though I dont want to sign new ASTs every 6 months as the LA wanted. I guess I family is more likely to stay, compared to a couple. On the other hand we probably cause less wear and tear, being only 2 people in a 4bed house, who also work full time
              All views posted reflect my personal opinion only and do not constitute professional advice which I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to provide.

Comment

Keep it simple. Either say "yes" without imposing conditions or "no".

Comment

Will the doors still fit ?

I rented a house with laminate upstairs. Could hear every step the baby elephant made *rollseyes* drove me potty!
                  I'm a good tenant with great landlords
                  I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Is this a leasehold flat? In which case you might not be able to have wood floor.

Toddlers + wood floor = major neighbour trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brb View Post
                      Will the doors still fit ?
                      Yes, what I was going to say. Almost certainly if you agree to laying laminate over the carpet, what you'll end up with at the end of the tenancy is a door with a whopping gap underneath, and an argument about whether it needs replacing - hassle you don't need. I don't know how deep laminate is versus carpet, but I suspect you may end up with similar even if they were just to swap it.

Comment

When it comes to DIY and the like I know little. I cannot help feeling though that laying laminate over carpet cannot be a Good Thing.

Comment

Say yes and sell the old carpet on ebay or gumtree. For a £150 carpet it's really not worth trying to store it.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
                            Say yes and sell the old carpet on ebay or gumtree. For a £150 carpet it's really not worth trying to store it.
                            That depends on storage options available. I'd agree on the premise that its done professionally and remains after they leave then if you can store the carpet easily great, if not store it until you can find another home for it.

Comment

What an excellent set of responses :-) !

Brief replies.

Will the doors still fit?
                              That's a point I hadn't considered in the context of laminate over carpet - and would be a deal breaker.

The carpet has thick underlay, so I should be alright doorwise if replacing with laminate. That's easy to test.

Is this a leasehold flat?
                              Freehold house.

Sell the old carpet on ebay or gumtree.
                              I've come round to that idea. It is a 4x4m exactly square room, complete with underlay, so it will work OK.

Out of curiosity, what makes you say that?
                              I'll give a more general reply, and is based on L not making their life intolerable and external factors staying away (eg job being chopped) but indicators looking at attractiveness/convenience of staying or difficulty of leaving include:

1 - Willingness of T to invest financially or emotionally (example would be going halves on something they request or redecorating a property themselves that needed it anyway, saving me the trouble and making audits etc simpler, replacing bushes in garden etc).
                              2 - Stages of education of children - a kid starting GCSEs implies at least 2 years.
                              3 - Job factors. Mobile profession may imply short tenancy. Bits of kit that are awkward to keep elsewhere may imply longer term - harder to move.
                              4 - Family close by - needing support, eg parents moving to be near daughter with toddler. Tenancy will be determined by family needs.
                              5 - If someone has rented it as an invalid. My favourite quote on this was Lord Morris of Castle Morris who reported in the Church Times Diary in about 1990 that he had:

"bought a small manor house in Derbyshire to decline and die in"
                              6 - Just started or just finished a relationship implies a couple of years finding feet.
                              7 - Property with large garden found by tenant who likes gardening.
                              8 - Pets.
                              9 - If it's just a nice property in a nice area - past tenancy lengths may indicate.

This is part of my target niche.

Thanks all.

ML

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                                by Hudson01
                                As said above, unless being a landlord has been a childhood dream (weird if it were), i vote to sell and move on. A lot of experienced LL's are selling up anyway due to a multitude of rubbish from the govt, in your position, simply reap the reward of your late fathers good financial decisions and enjoy...
                                25-01-2022, 16:44 PM
                              • Inherited a few rentals
                                by Landlord7289
                                Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
                                25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
                              • Reply to What to do at the end of an AST period?
                                by jtufty
                                I hear you loud and clear! Periodic it is then! Cheers...
                                25-01-2022, 16:39 PM
                              • What to do at the end of an AST period?
                                by jtufty
                                Hi,

I rent a property. The initial 6 months of the AST ends in Jan 2022. The tenant is very nice and she asked yesterday if she can stay on for another 6 months.

Is it a simple case of just giving her another AST contract to sign? Im sure it is, but wondered if theres anything...
                                28-12-2021, 08:35 AM
                              • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                                by DoricPixie
                                Why "in light of the minimal tenancy paperwork" do you think you will have a difficult time retrieving the money owed from the tenant?

As above, check the Section 21 is valid, see link to flow chart below. If the Section 21 is valid and the tenant is still in the property then...
                                25-01-2022, 16:26 PM
                              • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                                by Beeble
                                We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
                                25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
                              • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                                by jpucng62
                                My property portfolio has always been managed by agents, originally through necessity (I was a long way away), latterly through choice (I don't want to be available 24/7). I use small independent agencies and I keep them on a tight rein - but it works for me! I like to have that distance between me...
                                25-01-2022, 16:25 PM
                              • Greetings, I Come in Peace
                                by AVJ113
                                Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
                                20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
                              • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                                by DoricPixie
                                Another vote for sell unless being a landlord is something you are particularly interested in doing. Yes, you can use a letting agency to manage the lets but ultimately the buck stops with you and in my experience a lot of letting agencies out there are pretty crap. Plus as a higher rate tax payer...
                                25-01-2022, 16:19 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                                by Hudson01
                                Ok before you even consider what the agent did or did not do you need to get a handle on exactly what the tenancy says, if the s21 was valid and what the intentions of YOUR tenant are, you need them out asap, a lot of agents are utterly useless, are you located far away from the property and is that...
                                25-01-2022, 15:58 PM
                              Working...
                              X