Deposit Protection Scheme

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Deposit Protection Scheme

    Could anyone tell me how long the DPS take to release money to the landlord after the tenant has left without leaving a forwarding address? We do not think our tenant will dispute the figures as she did not pay the last month's rent in full and there are some repair/damage issues which we do not consider to be reasonable wear and tear. The damages and outstanding rent amount to more than the deposit so even if the adjudicator did "knock us down" a bit, we still do not think there would be any refund due to the tenant.

    Thank you

    #2
    Originally posted by Ceejay5 View Post
    Could anyone tell me how long the DPS take to release money to the landlord after the tenant has left without leaving a forwarding address?
    Do you mean there's just no postal address, or do you (and the DPS) have no way of contacting her? Big difference... When you register the deposit with them, you're asked to provide the tenant's e-mail address, and that's what the DPS use by default for contacting them so a lack of postal address is irrelevant. On the other hand if the DPS have no way of contacting the tenant then you're into the 'single claim' process, which is rather more tedious.[/QUOTE]

    Comment


      #3
      Why is the single claim tedious?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
        Do you mean there's just no postal address, or do you (and the DPS) have no way of contacting her? Big difference... When you register the deposit with them, you're asked to provide the tenant's e-mail address, and that's what the DPS use by default for contacting them so a lack of postal address is irrelevant. On the other hand if the DPS have no way of contacting the tenant then you're into the 'single claim' process, which is rather more tedious.
        [/QUOTE]

        I did supply an email address at the time of lodging the deposit which I hope my tenant is still using. I have tried to contact her by email but have had no response. I am not familiar with the single claim process but if it comes to this then so be it. Your response implies that it will take some time.

        Comment


          #5
          If the DPS can contact the tenant and the tenant co-operates - about 2 weeks.
          If the DPS can contact the tenant and tenant refuses release - 6 weeks if tenant accepts arbitration or 3-4 months if you need to use the courts
          If the DPS can not contact the tenant - about 2 months through the single claim process

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Ceejay5 View Post
            Could anyone tell me how long the DPS take to release money to the landlord after the tenant has left without leaving a forwarding address? We do not think our tenant will dispute the figures as she did not pay the last month's rent in full and there are some repair/damage issues which we do not consider to be reasonable wear and tear. The damages and outstanding rent amount to more than the deposit so even if the adjudicator did "knock us down" a bit, we still do not think there would be any refund due to the tenant.

            Thank you
            As long as you're not trying any of the usual landlord wheezes (my perennial favourites are 'one tiny section of the floor is scratched, therefore the whole floor needs to be replaced' or 'this five year old sofa is slightly damaged, now we can make you pay for a completely new one') you will be compensated eventually. The deposit is the tenant's money until you prove otherwise though, so the process can (and should) take time.
            Disclaimer:

            The above represents my own opinion, derived from personal knowledge and should not be relied upon as definitive or accurate advice. It is offered free of charge and may contain errors or omissions or be an inaccurate opinion of the law. I accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of relying on the above.

            Comment


              #7
              I've had to 'single claim' my last two tenants deposits, I usually wait at least two months before even considering it just in case they contact me. Both claims were (more or less) straightforward.
              I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

              Comment


                #8
                Question; if you win such a claim in court and are due all or part of deposit to cover these costs, I was of the view that LL must get the court to actually state somewhere (in the award notice or separately) that the DPS are able to pay LL the amount. Otherwise may the DPS simpy delay any payout to anyone? Thanks. chas.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Quite correct Charles 19 and that is where I am at present.

                  I started my claim last July. Just waiting for MCOL to re-word the judgement for me.

                  The DPS have been very communicative especially the 'spec ops' team - I wish MCOL were the same.



                  Freedom at the point of zero............

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by bhaal View Post
                    As long as you're not trying any of the usual landlord wheezes (my perennial favourites are 'one tiny section of the floor is scratched, therefore the whole floor needs to be replaced' or 'this five year old sofa is slightly damaged, now we can make you pay for a completely new one') you will be compensated eventually. The deposit is the tenant's money until you prove otherwise though, so the process can (and should) take time.
                    Thank you all for your comments and no, we are not trying it on with "the usual landlord wheezes." We are not charging for redecoration throughout, new cooker or replacing the kitchen floor. Our tenant has, however, walked away with curtains, lightbulbs and blinds (which are on the inventory), has dumped rubbish in front of the house which is too much for the bin men to remove and, most annoyingly of all, has had pre-paid gas and electricity meters installed without our knowledge or permission, which will cost us £120 to put back as they were. I should also add that she owes us £450 in rent, over which there can be no dispute.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Ceejay5 - make sure you take photos of the changes and damage to compare wthe the inventory.

                      If the DPS do not cough up or you want to claim more than the deposit then try a 'moneyclaim online' case - costs £60 and if you know the whereabouts of this tenant and they are working then this could be the way to go.



                      Freedom at the point of zero............

                      Comment

                      Latest Activity

                      Collapse

                      Working...
                      X