Landlord increasing rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord increasing rent

Hi me and my partner are renting a 1 bed on a Fixed term assured tenancy until April 22nd the landlord wants to increase the rent and we would prefer not stay there any longer (Slow to carry out repairs quick to take our money)However on the letter informing us of the rent increase it said this:

"Please contact us urgently to let us know if you are happy to renew the contract or whether you would like a 2 monthly notice period from the start of the new term?" I'm not sure if they are asking us to stay until June 22nd and carry on paying rent or can we give the 2 monthly notice now? I was under the impression we can leave on 22nd April I do not want to stay until June because I'm pregnant and my baby is due on the 27th June! Could anyone help?

I presume proposed rent increase will come into effect if/when you sign new AST. Double check last day of fixed term IS 22 April ie T commenced 23 Nov 12 or date for end of fixed term is specified in AST. You can leave on last day of fixed term without Notice, but advisable to give LL some notice of your firm intent to vacate on that date, if you expect a LL ref. If you stay 1 min after end of fixed term, a SPT will be automatically created, you will be reqd to give min 1 month Notice and may be liable for rent & property until 22 June.

Comment

Originally posted by KARYU View Post

"Please contact us urgently to let us know if you are happy to renew the contract or whether you would like a 2 monthly notice period from the start of the new term?" I'm not sure if they are asking us to stay until June 22nd and carry on paying rent or can we give the 2 monthly notice now? I was under the impression we can leave on 22nd April
      No idea what the second part of the sentence means, but as mariner says, yes, you can leave at fixed term expiry without having to give notice but it would be considerate to let the LL know your intentions.

Comment

Agree with mariner/Westminster but would add that you can stay in the property beyond that date if you want to without signing a new tenancy agreement.

If you do stay though, you must give a minimum of 1 months notice and that notice must expire on the last day of tenancy period (22nd of any month in your case).

Landlord can give you 2 months notice at any time BUT you don't have to leave at the expiry of that notice, that is simply the earliest date that he can apply to the court for possession.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X