Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 mts AST - LL orally agreed to terminate

Hi All,

I have a tenancy agreement for 6 months with 2 mts notice period not to be given during first 4 months of term. Tenancy started on 10th Nov.

I agreed with the LL on the telephone on the 17th Feb that we will terminate the tenancy on 17th March. She did not have any problem with it. She said to me "That's absolutely fine, just put it in writing" which I did. She did not acknowledge receipt of the letter.

Now, 2 weeks before we are supposed to move out, she is saying that she has spoken to the Agents and I should have given 2 months notice.

I don't know much about tenancy law but I just find it grossly unfair that someone accepts to terminate a tenancy (although orally) and then go back on their word.

I relied on what she said and put down a deposit and paid advance rent for another property.

Yours views will be most appreciated as I am extremely confused and distressed with the whole situation.

Many Thanks,

PS: LL is also now avoiding my calls.
    Last edited by Priya; 05-03-2007, 19:28 PM. Reason: Missing Info

Your fixed term ends on 9th May. Neither the landlord nor the tenant can end the tenancy before the end of the fixed term unless by mutual agreement.

Unless you can prove that you had the agreement of the landlord (ie something in writing) then you will be liable to pay the rent up until the end of the fixed term or until a new tenant is found, whichever comes sooner.

You are learning the hard way that unless it is in writing and you can stand in front of a judge and say "exhibit A M'lud" then it ain't happened.

BTW a tenant does not have to give notice to leave at the end of the fixed term. He or she can simply vacate on the last day.

Comment

Thank you so much for your quick reply. At least I now know where I stand.

Just one more question. If I get something in writing from the Landlord confirming she agrees for us to leave, for example on 10th April, will this be enough to terminate the contract early?

Very strangely, there is a clause in the contract that says if I don't want to renew the agreement, I need to give 2 months notice to the Agents!!

Comment

The last day of your rental period will be the 9th of any given month. If you can get written agreement from the landlady releasing you from the contract early WITHOUT PENALTY then that will stand up in court. The landlady could release you and still hold you to the contractual amount, so be specific about that.

Agency is talking rubbish. The tenant has the right to leave on the last day of the fixed period (in your case 6 months) without any notice and thereafter only has to give one month's notice to end the contract. If they insist ask them to point out the statute law that allows them to insist on this. Then watch them do their goldfish impression!

Comment

Regarding agency requiring notice to end the tenancy at the end of the fixed period; the following thread was recently posted.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ead.php?t=5287
          All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Mice in the flat - what to do?
            JP23
            We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
            26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
          • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
            Jcg76
            I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
            Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
            24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
          • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
            Jcg76
            Are you effectively saying it is standard for a freeholder to have access to build?
            I have looked at the lease, can anyone advise on someone that make the lease clear to me?...
            26-07-2017, 06:01 AM
          • Tenant application form
            Elum
            Hi all!

So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

Thanks in advance,

Liam.
            25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
          • Reply to Tenant application form
            AndrewDod
            You really need two forms.
            a) A simple one for first-pass selection containing your basic questions. The point of this one is to help you decide if you are going to waste any time at all (and the tenant's time), even on a viewing.
            b) A much more complicated one (have you ever failed to leave...
            25-07-2017, 23:54 PM
          • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
            leaseholder64
            I would expect any competent solicitor to have drafted the lease to give as many rights of access for building and repair as the freeholder was likely to want. You'd need to look at the lease to know.
            25-07-2017, 22:57 PM
          • Non- protected deposit, and disputes
            Stybdmy
            Q1 – Where is the rented property located? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this? Multiple tenants (a couple) - one tenancy agreement

Q3 – What date did current TA start 01/11/2016

Q4 – How long was initial fixed term 6 months
            24-07-2017, 12:25 PM
          • Reply to Non- protected deposit, and disputes
            KTC
            If by that you meant that an application have been made for voluntary striking off the company from the register, then you need to contact Companies House to object to it on the grounds that 1) it has traded or otherwise carried on business within the last 3 months 2) that you are a creditor and that...
            25-07-2017, 22:55 PM
          • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
            Pb21
            Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
            25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
          • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
            bergerac
            Would the same ring true if a tree had crushed the roof? Or some non-act of God event? Surely there is a limit to where the tenants responsibility ends and the landlord's begins?...
            25-07-2017, 22:07 PM
          Working...
          X