landlords safety and boiler fluf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

landlords safety and boiler fluf

Hi, just wondered if anyone can give me advice my landlord hasnt done a gas safety for 2 years now and I have a sticker on my boiler that says its unsafe as the flu is to close to the kitchen window allowing gas back into the property. I have rang hin loads but nothing.

Loads of advice here http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/faqtenant.htm

Comment

Originally posted by sullivan665 View Post
      Hi, just wondered if anyone can give me advice my landlord hasnt done a gas safety for 2 years now and I have a sticker on my boiler that says its unsafe as the flu is to close to the kitchen window allowing gas back into the property. I have rang hin loads but nothing.
      Who put the sticker on?
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

I had a smelk of gas in the house so phoned the gas board and rhey came out and switched the gas off and this was a year and a half ago

Comment

Has the boiler been used since the sticker? In addition to the above link, speak to the Environmental Health Officer at the local council as the landlord has an obligation to maintain heating/hot water equipment - section 11, 1985 Landlord & Tenant Act.

Comment

I had a smelk of gas in the house so phoned the gas board and rhey came out and switched the gas off and this was a year and a half ago
            What does the boiler do? Provide heating, heating and hot water?
            Have you got copies of the letters that you have sent to the landlord?
            Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Hi yes got copies of all correspondence with the landlord. The boiler does hot water and heating. I have a 2 year old daughter and dont want to be homeless if the landlord decides to give us a month notice and we cant find somewhere else

Comment

So who switched the gas back on again?

Comment

Landlord can't give you a months notice. You can not be forced to leave the property unless the landlord has a court order. Before he can even apply to the court he either needs to give you at least 2 months notice or you need to be at least 2 months behind on your rent. The court process could easily add 2 months onto that.

Of course, if you paid a deposit and the landlord hasn't protected it in a scheme, he can't even give you the 2 months notice.

Comment

The landlord switched it back on. Im just sick of asking him to fix it. People have said stop paying the rent but I dont want to do that.

Comment

^^^^Blimey^^^^
                      I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Also ive now got debt collectors knocking on my door for the landlord

Comment

Sorting out the flue should be a simple task. For now, make sure the window that it is too close to is never opened when the boiler is firing.

What I would do is call a 2/3 Gas engineers, and find out the price to remedy the flue and get a gas certificate.

I would then write to the landlord telling him what it would cost to sort out the problem and get a current gas certificate. Tell him that it isn't urgent, but you will let him get it done before the next rent is due.
                          I would tell him that if he can't get it done before then, you will get it done, and then deduct the cost from the rent.

This isn't the official way, but one that I would think would be less likely to lead to eviction.

In regards to the debt collectors. Give them the landlords address.

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                            This isn't the official way, but one that I would think would be less likely to lead to eviction.
                            Shelter suggest something similar but their timescales are based on actual case law (iirc Lee Parker v Izzet?) http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...oing_repairs#3

Comment

Just get a Registered GasSafe engineer to do a GSC at own expense (~£50) as evidence boiler flue is not compliant. It is not unheard of for BGas fitters to condemn gas installations in the hope of getting the contract for replacement or remedial work.
                              Deduct cost of GSC from next rent and send LL his copy of pass/fail Cert. or absorb cost yourself for peace of mind. Slightly irregular.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X