Tenant has paid rent even though she is supposed to leave this week. What do I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"It is hereby agreed that any time after the 28th Day of December 2012 the Landlord may terminate this agreement by giving two calendar months notice in writing which must be sent by first class recorded delivery or hand delivered to the tenant from the landlord".

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
    The usual interpretation issue: Does the date refer to termination or service of notice?
    To me it seems clear that the LL cannot give the notice till after 28th Dec, but in fact, on a third reading, it seems to be saying that the agreement terminates by the giving of the notice, as opposed to specifying that it terminates at the end of the two months.

I think the contra proferentem rule would mean it would be interpreted in the T's favour - a court would either say that the break clause is unenforceable, or that the earliest date that the LL could end the fixed term would be two months (exactly, no more and no less) as of 29th December 2012.

Comment

Ok, so it seems that I dated the S21 wrongly ie a day early. Although I did deliver it to her on the 28th Dec. My fault!

So,if I agree to her request that she stays on for another month, what do I need to do about the contract? I need to take her ex partner off anyway as he has moved out, wants nothing to do with her and is not paying towards the rent.

Comment

Do not do anything with the tenancy, do not say that you will "take the partner off" it. You cannot do so.
        Has he given notice to end the tenancy?
        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Juliecabs View Post
          Ok, so it seems that I dated the S21 wrongly ie a day early. Although I did deliver it to her on the 28th Dec. My fault!
          You don't need to put a date of issue on a s.21 notice. All that matters is the date of service and obtaining evidence of the date of service.

So,if I agree to her request that she stays on for another month, what do I need to do about the contract?
          Precisely nothing.

And you cannot refuse to let her stay on another month. The only way that you can unilaterally end the tenancy and evict her is by obtaining a court order for possession. Even if the break clause is enforceable, you're looking at around four months as from the date of serving a [new, valid] s.21 notice.

I need to take her ex partner off anyway as he has moved out, wants nothing to do with her and is not paying towards the rent.
          No, you do not 'need' to remove a joint tenant from a tenancy contract. Regardless of having moved out, if he is a joint tenant then he remains jointly and individually liable for the rent for the duration of the tenancy.

Comment

N.B. if there are two joint tenants, then any notice must be jointly addressed to both of them (on a single notice). If your notice only mentioned the female JT's name, then it was invalid on a third count.

Comment

May I suggest that you contact this company and get them to serve the s.21 notice on your behalf. It's run by an experienced member of the forum.

http://www.tenancyservices.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                Do not do anything with the tenancy, do not say that you will "take the partner off" it. You cannot do so.
                He only phoned me and told me to take him off. I informed him that I couldn't do this as it was a joint tenancy and his name is on the contract. But he is refusing to have any more to do with it. She is paying the rent with a lot of help from the council!

Quote: N.B. if there are two joint tenants, then any notice must be jointly addressed to both of them (on a single notice). If your notice only mentioned the female JT's name, then it was invalid on a third count.

The notice was served and addressed to both of them.

Quote: May I suggest that you contact this company and get them to serve the s.21 notice on your behalf. It's run by an experienced member of the forum.

Thank you for this link. I will certainly look into it

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                  In order to exercise the break clause (if there is a clause allowing the T to break) both joint tenants would have to jointly serve notice.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
                    In order to exercise the break clause (if there is a clause allowing the T to break) both joint tenants would have to jointly serve notice.
                    I thought that was the case and told him so. Shame she doesn't want to go too

thank you.

Comment

I understand. I was trying to ascertain what the partner had done in regards to the tenancy, and what the OP had said in response.
                      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

I need to take her ex partner off anyway as he has moved out, wants nothing to do with her and is not paying towards the rent.
                        He only phoned me and told me to take him off. I informed him that I couldn't do this as it was a joint tenancy and his name is on the contract. But he is refusing to have any more to do with it. She is paying the rent with a lot of help from the council!
                        So, you already seem to know that you don't need to remove the male joint tenant - so, why are you suggesting that you 'need to take her ex partner off anyway'??

He may be refusing to have anything more to do with it, but the fact is he remains jointly and individually liable for all of the rent whilst the tenancy remains in place.

Comment

An update to this tenancy problem.............

I have the forms in place to take to court tomorrow to start my claim for possession of my house.
                          Then today I received a text from my tenant to say that she cannot afford to pay me any more rent as she is trying to save up for somewhere else to live. She has told me to take the next 6 weeks rent out of the deposit!!! Whether that means she will move out in 6 weeks remains to be seen but I'm almost certain that it won't happen as she has fed me so many lies already!
                          (She is on housing benefit but refuses to move into council housing. But she says that she is having trouble finding anywhere that takes on someone on benefits).
                          Her ex-partner who is also on the agreement who moved out a month after they moved in won't have anything to do with this.
                          So can anyone tell me where I go from here please?

Comment

An update to this tenancy problem.............

I have the forms in place to take to court tomorrow to start my claim for possession of my house.
                            On the basis of your invalid notice? (did I miss something?)

You want to evict the T, so concentrate on that, and following correct procedure. The ditherings of the T and what she has has or hasn't said is utterly irrelevant.

As I said before

May I suggest that you contact this company and get them to serve the s.21 notice on your behalf. It's run by an experienced member of the forum.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to MCOL & PCOL
                              by OS7
                              Just to close of this thread : telephone hearing took place and after a lengthy hearing - the defendants application to set aside CCJ was dismissed and a CCJ with an instalment order was ordered by the Judge. He said he saw no real prospect of the defendant defending the claim, however to resolve he...
                              30-11-2021, 05:44 AM
                            • MCOL & PCOL
                              by OS7
                              Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
                              04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
                            • Reply to Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                              by meyou5ick
                              I actually signed the terms in the beginning of the contract, and I have not witnessed this before but these guys had another page where they mentioned this. Now my issue is that given how abysmal their service was and me paying from my own pocket, I should have disbanded the contract then. The issue...
                              30-11-2021, 04:32 AM
                            • Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                              by meyou5ick
                              Dear all,

I was letting my place to tenants that were sourced by this estate agent. The estate agent however misrepresented myself and misled the tenants about what's included in the monthly rental cost. The tenant had complained to the agent however, I had to pay for 6 months of services...
                              29-11-2021, 16:04 PM
                            • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                              by AndrewDod
                              Even if you are an AST "tenant", you are tenant of Sarah, not a tenant of Sarah's landlord. If Sarah ceases to be a tenant that does not make you a tenant of Sarah's landlord (nor does any deposit you paid to Sarah have anything to do with Sarah's landlord).

Sarah's right of...
                              29-11-2021, 23:05 PM
                            • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                              by Bert1e
                              Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
                              28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
                            • Reply to Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                              by Hudson01
                              Did you use them on a tenant find service only ? If so then read the contract you signed and see what it says about what you are about to do, i use the tenant find service but then let the leases go into periodic, i pay the agent nothing and never have done, maybe if i signed another 12 AST a fee may...
                              29-11-2021, 19:44 PM
                            • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                              by jpkeates
                              There's not normally an issue with the gas certificate timing other than the very first one.
                              That said email is not how you give people documents like that, unless the tenant has agreed to be served them by email.
                              29-11-2021, 18:16 PM
                            • Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                              by Mr. Sparkle
                              About 3 weeks ago I had a gas certificate issued.

I forgot to email the tenant a copy of the document.

I plan to evict the tenant with either a Section 8 or 21 and want to know whether there is any issue regarding the delay to give the tenant the gas cert?

There...
                              29-11-2021, 14:15 PM
                            • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                              by theartfullodger
                              No idea if the GSC you have is OK or not (1st place, you don;t say) or what the timing is for when it should be served. So difficult to answer.

But...

s8 not an issue

s21 see
                              https://nearlylegal.co.uk/section-21-flowchart/

- there's...
                              29-11-2021, 17:50 PM
                            Working...
                            X