Tenant has paid rent even though she is supposed to leave this week. What do I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received the deposit the day they moved in (28th Aug 2012) and registered it the following day with the TDS. I printed off a copy of the certificate but I didn't give her a copy.

So now I'm presuming that the S21 isn't valid as she didn't get a copy and I will now have to wait until Aug this year (at the end of the fixed term)before I can get her to leave.

Sorry for all the questions. I was taken ill suddenly last year and instead of risking losing my house because I couldn't afford the mortgage I decided to rent it out. I wish I had taken up my sons offer to pay my mortgage for me but hindsight's a wonderful thing............

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I really do appreciate it
    Maybe my elderly parents will put up with me instead!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Juliecabs View Post

So now I'm presuming that the S21 isn't valid as she didn't get a copy and I will now have to wait until Aug this year (at the end of the fixed term)before I can get her to leave.

The Sec 21 isn't valid, but it's not because you haven't provided the prescribed information. It is because the Sec 21 cannot end within the fixed term.

You need to issue the prescribed information and T's & C's for the deposit scheme that you used. Post it from a Post Office, and get a free certificate of posting.

Then issue a Sec 21 as below:

http://www.letlink.co.uk/GeneralInfo...on/S21_1_B.pdf

The date for expiry on the above form needs to be 27th August 2013. Post it using the same method you used for the other information anytime before the 25th June 2013(but a day or two after the prescribed information and T's and C's).

If possible have 3 copies, and send two on different days. Make sure you keep a copy of the Sec 21, and the certificate, as you will need it later.

If the tenant doesn't play ball, then you will not get your property back until October/November 2013.

Can you give a link to the deposit scheme that you used?
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Does sound like you may have missed the boat to give notice inline with the break clause, but others here far more experienced with break clause matters than me may be able to confirm this. However, at the moment, your notice is definately invalid if you have not issued the PI. Once you have done so, you can issue an S21 at any time during the fixed term, but cannot take it to the next stage, ie court application, until fixed term ends.

If you were forced to rent your property out quickly, have you complied with the minefield of other requirements and legal regs surrounding letting?

Did your mortgage give you consent to let?

Have you changed your insurance to a suitable landlord policy?

Are you declaring the rental income for tax?

Is there gas supply in the property - have you got a Gas Safety Certificate?

There is a good thread here for new/inexperienced landlords which covers all the things you need to comply with, so may be worth checking you are up to date with everything:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...2&postcount=12

If your tenant is likely to be difficult, you must ensure you are "squeaky clean" on all your landlord obligations, as if there is a chance the tenant wants to play dirty, they may drop you in it over something you have forgotten (PI is a prime example) or are blissfully unaware of ... Get up to speed now!

Comment

Originally posted by LesleyAnne View Post
          Does sound like you may have missed the boat to give notice inline with the break clause, but others here far more experienced with break clause matters than me may be able to confirm this.
          What break clause?
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
            What break clause?

Read Post 12!

Having read the wording again, it does look as if the break clause is the "any time after" variety, rather than an "at 6 months" clause, so OP could still use it to end the tenancy early, once the PI ommission has been sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by LesleyAnne View Post
              Read Post 12!
              I would have read it without your usage of an exclamation mark, thanks.

Having read it, I think it is poorly worded, and unfair.
              If the OP wants to gamble(£175.00), then it would be worth sorting out the prescribed information, and T's and C's, and serving a Sec 21(linked above) with an expiry date of 27th April 2013.

The deposit protection info would need to be served by hand(preferably with a witness)today, and the Sec 21 served by hand (preferably with a witness)tomorrow.

Comment

You can start legal proceedings when notice expires. Are you confident you validly served a correct notice??
                I served a Section 21 AST Notice requiring Possession
                When did the fixed term end (date please)
                The original term was for a year starting 28 Aug 12 ending 27th Aug 13, but after 6 months I served the Section 21 ie that was dated 27th Dec 12 to leave 28th Feb 13.
                What was the EXACT wording of the expiry of the notice (eg "on 01/02/13" or "after 01/02/13")The exact wording is that I gave notice on 27th Dec 12 to require possession on 28th Feb 13.

There is a break clause. The wording reads as follows "It is hereby agreed that any time after the 28th Day of December 2012 the Landlord may terminate this agreement by giving two calendar months notice in writing which must be sent by first class recorded delivery or hand delivered to the tenant from the landlord".

I hand delivered the letter to her.

Under the terms of the break clause, you cannot give notice until after 28th December 2012, i.e. from 29th December 2012 onwards. It sounds like you served the notice too early.

If so, the notice was defective in terms of exercising the break clause (in which case fixed term expiry remains as 27th August 2013).

It is also defective as a s.21 notice, because you had not given the prescribed information to the T at the time of service.

Comment

Having read it, I think it is poorly worded, and unfair.
                  Seems pretty straightforward to me. Which part of it do you think is ambiguous?

It is only unfair if there is no equivalent right for the T to break in a separate clause.

Comment

If you were forced to rent your property out quickly, have you complied with the minefield of other requirements and legal regs surrounding letting?

Did your mortgage give you consent to let?
                    Yes, I have a buy to let mortgage.

Have you changed your insurance to a suitable landlord policy?
                    Yes

Are you declaring the rental income for tax?
                    Yes

Is there gas supply in the property - have you got a Gas Safety Certificate?
                    Yes and all electrical appliances were PAT tested and stickered to prove it.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
                      Seems pretty straightforward to me. Which part of it do you think is ambiguous?

It is only unfair if there is no equivalent right for the T to break in a separate clause.
                      The usage of the worded "terminated" is one that I would not use in a break clause personally. The landlord can not "terminate" an AST in this way.

I believe it is unfair for the exact reason you stated, unless the landlord has separated how the landlord invokes the break clause from the tenants, but has only quoted the part for the landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
                        Under the terms of the break clause, you cannot give notice until after 28th December 2012, i.e. from 29th December 2012 onwards. It sounds like you served the notice too early.
                        The usual interpretation issue: Does the date refer to termination or service of notice?

The usage of the worded "terminated" is one that I would not use in a break clause personally. The landlord can not "terminate" an AST in this way
                        Yes he can. That's the purpose of a break clause: to end the tenancy.
                        But of course as soon as the fixed term tenancy ends it is replaced by a SPT should the tenant still be there.

Comment

I would have read it without your usage of an exclamation mark, thanks.
                          Love to dish out the terse comments yourself, but obviously have a problem taking them

Comment

Originally posted by Juliecabs View Post

Yes, I have a buy to let mortgage.

Yes

Yes

Yes and all electrical appliances were PAT tested and stickered to prove it.

Thank you.
                            Good to know you are up to speed with everything. So common to find landlords who either don't know or don't bother. Well done for getting it right from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
                              Yes he can. That's the purpose of a break clause: to end the tenancy.
                              Sorry, I wasn't aware that invoking a break clause ended a tenancy.

Comment

The usage of the worded "terminated" is one that I would not use in a break clause personally. The landlord can not "terminate" an AST in this way.
                                A break clause has the effect of ending/terminating the fixed term tenancy. If the T fails to vacate, then a SPT arises, replacing the fixed term tenancy.

I believe it is unfair for the exact reason you stated, unless the landlord has separated how the landlord invokes the break clause from the tenants, but has only quoted the part for the landlord.
                                It is not uncommon for a break clause to be in two parts. It may be, for example, that the T may give one month's notice instead of the LL's two months; in which case, it's clearer if it's drafted in two parts.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
                                  by minorbark
                                  Personally, If I'd left home (rented or otherwise) without notifying anyone and came back to find someone honestly thought I was suicidal to the point they had asked the police to force entry, which I can't imagine is the sort of thing they do lightly, I'd feel thoroughly embarrassed and, assuming the...
                                  19-01-2022, 13:59 PM
                                • Property damaged. Advice please
                                  by minorbark
                                  Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
                                  18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
                                  by jpkeates
                                  It's a loss to the landlord arising while the tenant was responsible for the property.
                                  It's not necessary for them to have caused the damage themselves or been negligent in any way.

The tenant should try and recover the cost from the police (although they might as well not bother...
                                  19-01-2022, 13:42 PM
                                  by mokka
                                  I agree fully....
                                  19-01-2022, 13:36 PM
                                • Reply to Deposit transfer
                                  by jpucng62
                                  I don't think this is possible and I don't think I would want a tenant who is so short of cash they can't stump up the deposit.

The lifetime deposit has got to include some sort of insurance to cover the short fall & the details have not been worked out yet. Bottom line is - its going...
                                  19-01-2022, 13:34 PM
                                • Deposit transfer
                                  by Flynn
                                  I’m currently looking for a new tenant (not using an agent). Something a prospective tenant has mentioned is the deposit being transferred from their current tenancy to their new one via the DPS.

Has anyone had experience of this working in practice, I’ve read online about the concept...
                                  19-01-2022, 12:28 PM
                                  by Hudson01
                                  As has been said by others, he does not need to open the door and it appears his mental health is impacting his behaviour to such an extent that it will keep costing you money......... knowing this, he would have to go.The best place for those suffering severe mental health propblems is not the PRS,...
                                  19-01-2022, 13:30 PM
                                  by mokka
                                  Tenant not responsible if police damage the door in my opinion. The tenant didn’t do it why should he pay?

If I left to go on a random holiday and told no one and the police were called thinking I was suicidal within the house and they kicked the door down and the landlord tried it on...
                                  19-01-2022, 13:25 PM
                                  by jpkeates
                                  If the tenancy ended tomorrow, the damage would be claimed from the tenant.

They're responsible for what happens in the property while they're living there - just as an owner would be responsible, if the same thing happened to them....
                                  19-01-2022, 13:13 PM
                                • Reply to Ending of a tenancy
                                  by leasee123
                                  OK.

But where do I stand legally?

If tenants agree to leave as per email, but they don't actually leave, meanwhile new tenant is due to move in. Can I claim all costs, including new tenants claims from me, from existing tenants?
                                  19-01-2022, 13:12 PM
                                Working...
                                X