Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deposit office fee

Hello everyone

Have you ever heard about "Deposit office fee"?
    Is it normal and acceptable for an agency to charge this? Am I required to pay this if it's not included in my AST?

Many thanks

The AST has no relevance, that is a contract between you & the landlord, nothing to do with the agreement between you and the agent - that's a different agreement.

Never heard of such a fee, I would ask them where this "deposit office" is that the fee will be paid to!

In reality, it is just another admin fee, this time for handling your deposit for the landlord. Add all the fees up, if the end figure is worth paying to get the propery you want, fine. If not, walk away.

Comment

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. The term of the tenancy is six month and the agency wants me to pay this fee every six months, even if the AST is not renewed but became a periodic tenancy. They claimed that from time to time they need to report (I don't know to whom) that I am accommodating the property and they are allowed to keep my deposit.They did not inform me about it when I moved in but now they came up sith this. What if I don't pay it?

Comment

It is cobblers. They have no need to do any deposit paperwork whatsoever if you remain on a periodic tenancy. They can not enforce a fee that you have not agreed to, so in the first instance I'd ask them to show you where you agreed to this fee.

Comment

Thank you very much. Much appreciated.

Comment

You said "they are allowed to keep my deposit"

No they are not. It belongs to you, and did you get info pack stating
            where your deposit is deposited, complete with a DPS reference number.

Deposit is normaly kept to deduct any damages out of at the end
            of the tenancy, and not for agent to "keep"

R.a.M.

Comment

You reply to them in writing, stating what was said in this thread. And you include an invoice because you're charging them £30 as your standard "Reply to inept agent's claims admin fee".

Comment

Worrying what some agents will come up with as another revenue raising exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
                  You said "they are allowed to keep my deposit"

No they are not. It belongs to you,
                  R.a.M.
                  By 'keep' I suspect the agent means 'have guardianship of' rather than 'appropriate'.

If the agents use a non-custodial scheme I suppose they could be said to be 'keeping' it for the tenant/LL until the end of the tenancy.

The fee however is ridiculous and should not be paid.
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I agree with these comments re: another income source. The industry really needs to become more regulated and fees be capped. It is completely inequitable for a tenant to be paying additional fees simply because its a trend, the agent is employed by the landlord, in my view that should be the end of it. Agents should have limited charges ie for referencing and capped at a nominal figure.
                    [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Unfortunately a higher than normal number of letting agents are scum. Even I, a lawyer, think they're that as an indication of how bad it is.
                      Disclaimer:

The above represents my own opinion, derived from personal knowledge and should not be relied upon as definitive or accurate advice. It is offered free of charge and may contain errors or omissions or be an inaccurate opinion of the law. I accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of relying on the above.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
                        You reply to them in writing, stating what was said in this thread. And you include an invoice because you're charging them £30 as your standard "Reply to inept agent's claims admin fee".
                        I like it !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                          I like it !!!!
                          Moi aussi!

(No, ram, I'm not an Australian).
                          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                            Moi aussi! ( me too )
                            (No, ram, I'm not an Australian).
                            Who ! What ! Hello........... I was having my afternoon nap early
                            today, when you rudely woke me.

Correct, you are not Australian, you are French.

( I always came first in class in french at school )

R.a.M. ( Refugee Australian Migrant -- [ from France ] )

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
                              Who ! What ! Hello........... I was having my afternoon nap early
                              today, when you rudely woke me.

Correct, you are not Australian, you are French.

( I always came first in class in french at school )

R.a.M. ( Refugee Australian Migrant -- [ from France ] )
                              That's OK then.

Entente cordiale!

(The orange squash is in the tent).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• if we haven't signed the renewal are we still liable?
                                Lexy333
                                Our 6 month short term assured tenancy agreement ended on the 2nd August. We are with a reputable agency. We were invited to renew for a further 6 months back in July and were asked to email our confirmation that we wish to renew in writing. This I did. We were sent the renewal tenancy to sign. We have...
                                22-08-2017, 14:00 PM
                              • Reply to if we haven't signed the renewal are we still liable?
                                mariner
                                I would say your original AST continues as SPT.
                                If now a new verbal AST, you may have a new fixed term and you cannot serve NTQ during fixed term (6 months?).
                                Talk to LL directly, rather than LA.
                                Why did you agree to a new AST, rather than request rolling over to SPT....
                                23-08-2017, 00:30 AM
                              • 6 year deposit claim
                                MaliaZ
                                Hi guys, I know that a tenant can claim a penalty on an unprotected deposit but I just wondered when the 6 year clock starts ticking.
                                22-08-2017, 16:43 PM
                              • Reply to 6 year deposit claim
                                mariner
                                As memory fades over time, can someone provide a 'sticky' for dates when key elements of LL&T Legislation changed? I believe Apr 2012 predates later deposit timescales.
                                23-08-2017, 00:08 AM
                              • NTQ during fixed term?
                                vpltd
                                Hi,
                                Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
                                (A residential let in England.)
                                VPL.
                                11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
                              • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
                                Wright76
                                It's worth noting that guidance is under part 4 where tenant obviously is given notice to end of a period and therefore apportionment would not be applicable.

The reference to the notice to quit ending the tenancy on the notice date does not change the fact that it obviously does however,...
                                22-08-2017, 23:24 PM
                                Wright76
                                I think thats exactly what the section I have just quoted confirms.

And thereafter, if you choose not to accept they are leaving as a result of the section 21 you must insist on a notice to quit or await a court ordering possession (where you will be ordered to apportion anyway)
                                22-08-2017, 23:13 PM
                                mariner
                                A lot of energy has been expended in this debate. It has been suggested a LL has no need to take Court action if T apparently vacates after receiving a s21 but with no Notice. LL cannot safely assume has vacated without Court confirmation, to avoid a T allegation of 'illegal eviction'. Equally I would...
                                22-08-2017, 23:00 PM
                                Wright76
                                If someone could copy and paste section 21 (4) a and b (I'm really not technical!), the law seems to recognise that a tenancy CAN end as a result of a section 21 and before a possession hearing.

21(4)b........the tenancy could be brought to an end by notice to quit given by the landlord...
                                22-08-2017, 22:38 PM
                              • Reply to 6 year deposit claim
                                KTC
                                Assuming that the money originally paid had been used as a deposit for the single tenant tenancy, then 6 years and 30 days from when the 2012 tenancy started. And... if that was a fixed term tenancy, then 6 years and 30 days for any subseqent renwal and likewise from when it went periodic.
                                22-08-2017, 22:22 PM
                              Working...
                              X