Help? Tenants asking to change to Permitted Occupiers to help with housing benefit???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the sons become permitted occupiers, they are the mother's lodgers, so you would evict the mother, ie end her tenancy, and they would have no rights to stay. You may have the hire baillifs to enforce the eviction, but they would evict everyone at the same time.

Why are you still considering this when others have told you of the pitfalls?

For maximum security, you need all 3 of them on the tenancy to give them all liability for all of the rent. If mum only is named, and her payments dry up, benefit stops for any reason etc, you cannot claim against the sons for anything as they would have no agreement with you!

Similarly, any other damage or loss can only be claimed against your tenant - Mum - so this also reduces your control over the property and chances of redress if anything goes wrong.

What benefit do you hope to gain for yourself from doing this? Please don't let tenants dictate how you manage your property!

Comment

Thanks LesleyAnne, I guess I'm considering it because I want to keep them happy and do what I can to help them. However at the same time do not want to risk my own position so will have to stand firm.

Comment

You say you're a novice, so please take advice from more experienced LLs on this forum and refuse the T's request. You do not have to 'keep them happy' at the cost of putting yourself in a less advantageous position. All you have to do is say that you have considered their request and you're sorry but the answer is no. And that's the end of it; no 'standing firm' necessary.

Comment

As above, you do not have to keep the tenants happy. They applied to rent your property on the terms you offered it, and now trying to manipulate a loophole (and you) into changing those terms. If they were happy to take it as it was, then you do not have to change anything to make them happier!

Also, remember that lodgers can leave with very short notice (none in fact if mum was happy for them to go). So, a few months time, son No 1 finds a partner and moves in with them, then a few weeks later son No 2 finds a job in another part of the country and moves away. You are left with 1 tenant who may not be able to afford the rent! If you have them all named on the same joint tenancy, and one wants to leave, they have to give you formal notice, and that ends the tenancy for all of them. It is of course, then up to you whether you want to provide a new tenancy to the mum and/or remaining son, or find new tenants.

The only ones gaining from this are the tenants - don't do it!

Comment

I agree with Paul f. the more over 18s you've got, the more people you've got to chase for arrears etc. Voice of experience speaking here!

Comment

Originally posted by LesleyAnne View Post
              If you have them all named on the same joint tenancy, and one wants to leave, they have to give you formal notice, and that ends the tenancy for all of them.
              To clarify for OP, this only applies during a periodic tenancy. During the fixed term, the tenant(s) cannot give notice to end the tenancy (not unless there is a break clause, in which case all the joint tenants would have to jointly serve notice under the break clause).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Lying tenant
                mazco
                We had a tenant in our property. Initial agreement was for 6 months from April 2016 but then went on to SPT.
                In June he didn't pay his rent due on 15th of the month. Chased him and got excuses. On 10th July got a text from him saying he had moved out and left a key under the mat for us. He reckoned...
                18-08-2017, 12:03 PM
              • Reply to Lying tenant
                JK0
                Hmm. If tenant was stupid enough to leave valuable furniture behind, it's JK0's money in my book.

(Not that that ever happened. All I get left is broken Ikea tat.)
                18-08-2017, 12:30 PM
              • Reply to Lying tenant
                jpkeates
                The deposit doesn't limit what you can try and recover from the tenant.
                It's simply a convention designed to make a simple claim easier.

You can't sell the tenant's goods and use the proceeds to settle their debt without their consent.
                That's the tenant's money.
                18-08-2017, 12:27 PM
              • Reply to Lying tenant
                mazco
                Unfortunately the deposit doesn't come close to what he already owes. Deposit of just over £1100 to cover two months rent at £900 per month, replacement carpet £200, bath replacement needed, disposal of rubbish, clearing of garden. He 'kindly' left us some furniture which I managed to sell for around...
                18-08-2017, 12:24 PM
              • Reply to Lying tenant
                jpkeates
                And, of course, this....
                18-08-2017, 12:22 PM
              • Reply to Lying tenant
                jpkeates
                There are rules about who is responsible for the council tax. And they relate to residence, not the tenancy.
                If the tenant is in the fixed term of a tenancy agreement, that means they're liable.
                If they are in a rolling agreement and move out, you are liable.

If the tenancy...
                18-08-2017, 12:21 PM
              • Reply to Lying tenant
                JK0
                I'd forget about getting utilites to believe you. Just work out a reasonable extra amount to add to deposit request.
                18-08-2017, 12:18 PM
              • Complicated tenant issue
                yostumpy
                Hi all, our tenant is 5 months into a 12 month AST, rent has been here and there, She has missed the last month, but unfortunately seems to have been the victim of an assault, of a serious domestic nature, and is now in the care of a refuge. She has stated verbally via the social worker that she no...
                18-08-2017, 10:44 AM
              • Reply to Complicated tenant issue
                jpkeates
                I suspect what you actually want is a deed of surrender (try this one - https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...-of-surrender=)

That ends the tenant's liability for rent etc and returns possession of the property to you....
                18-08-2017, 11:28 AM
              • Reply to Complicated tenant issue
                KTC
                Legally, doesn't work that way. False statement to induce the granting of a tenancy while providing a ground to apply for possession, you would still need to apply to a court to end the tenancy. And oh, that ground is only discretionary. Any potential fraud by misrepresentation (possibly a stretch,...
                18-08-2017, 11:28 AM
              Working...
              X