Landlord holding back deposit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord holding back deposit

We moved out of a flat 16th December and had a professional clean done. We attended the check out by the agents and a thorough list was checked.
    Since then the landlord has tried to get us to pay for items which were on broken on the original inventory, but as we pointed out, they were broken when we moved in. Now the landlord is claiming that there are some scuff marks on the walls to the communal areas, caused by us! We have pictures and also note that the communal area was not on the inventory. We also have an e-mail from the landlord saying that stairwell 'seemed ok to me'. Basically her neighbour complained about the marks and now she wants us to pay for them to be re-painted! Oh, and it's the neighbour who is painting the stairwell! What do we do!!!

I suggest a visit to a solicitor who will write a letter to the landlord and should get things moving. It will cost a little though. You could try citizens advice as well

LayStar

Comment

No need for solicitors! Write to the LL and state that if the deposit monies are not paid in 14 Days you will sue her through the courts. If no money si forthcoming go to moneyclaimonline and fill all the details out and sue her!
      GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Communal areas = Landlord can't prove the marks were done by you.
        Anyway, scuff marks sound like fair wear & tear to me. Also communal area not on the inventory - you'd have every chance of winning this one in a small claims court. Stand your ground, if your landlord won't refund your deposit you can be confident of getting the money and your costs back.

Comment

Thanks for that guys, will get the letter in the post by 11 tomorrow!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is time more important than money?
            by jpucng62
            The property was inspected - although Covid has it effect - but the tenant is entitled to live as they wish during the tenancy. It only became a problem when they failed to bring the property back to the condition they took it in when they left.

I was just amazed that they could so easily...
            27-01-2022, 19:45 PM
          • Is time more important than money?
            by jpucng62
            Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
            Garden was left in a mess...
            27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
          • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
            by Hooper
            To be honest I picked that rule up on this forum - I've heard it over and over. I'm probably guilty of having repeated it myself! If an error gets repeated enough in a small community it becomes fact!...
            27-01-2022, 19:36 PM
          • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
            by Piffy
            I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
            27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
            by royw
            Haha, I might just try that one 😁. I hate housework....
            27-01-2022, 18:43 PM
            by JK0
            I thought it would be our fault in some way....
            27-01-2022, 18:30 PM
            by Lawcruncher
            There are those who follow Quintin Crisp: “There is no need to do any housework at all. After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse.” Equally, there are those who are obsessive about cleaning. In the middle somewhere is a group who do not feel inclined to take great care of a rented...
            27-01-2022, 18:24 PM
          • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
            by Lawcruncher
            There is a lot of misinformation on the internet and in some cases a significant number of people come to believe it. The bank.charges affair was a classic case. Another was the belief that landlord's were obliged to mitigate their loss when a tenant abandons property and owes rent....
            27-01-2022, 18:06 PM
          • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
            by ash72
            Most likely, also depending on the age and sex of the children, they will need separate rooms eventually, so wont be a long term T. Get ready to serve notice. I would also check your insurance policy, as I renewed one of my policies recently, and I was just checking if they would still cover me if I...
            27-01-2022, 18:02 PM
          • Tenant has moved partner in.
            by Alison Laws
            My tenant who is 4 months into her tenancy agreement has moved her partner in without permission and Im wondering can use this to issue a new tenancy agreement with his name on it. She isn't the easiest tenant and I would also like to add an agreement break to the new tenancy because of the difficulty...
            27-01-2022, 15:30 PM
          Working...
          X