Landlord holding back deposit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord holding back deposit

We moved out of a flat 16th December and had a professional clean done. We attended the check out by the agents and a thorough list was checked.
    Since then the landlord has tried to get us to pay for items which were on broken on the original inventory, but as we pointed out, they were broken when we moved in. Now the landlord is claiming that there are some scuff marks on the walls to the communal areas, caused by us! We have pictures and also note that the communal area was not on the inventory. We also have an e-mail from the landlord saying that stairwell 'seemed ok to me'. Basically her neighbour complained about the marks and now she wants us to pay for them to be re-painted! Oh, and it's the neighbour who is painting the stairwell! What do we do!!!

I suggest a visit to a solicitor who will write a letter to the landlord and should get things moving. It will cost a little though. You could try citizens advice as well

LayStar

Comment

No need for solicitors! Write to the LL and state that if the deposit monies are not paid in 14 Days you will sue her through the courts. If no money si forthcoming go to moneyclaimonline and fill all the details out and sue her!
      GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Communal areas = Landlord can't prove the marks were done by you.
        Anyway, scuff marks sound like fair wear & tear to me. Also communal area not on the inventory - you'd have every chance of winning this one in a small claims court. Stand your ground, if your landlord won't refund your deposit you can be confident of getting the money and your costs back.

Comment

Thanks for that guys, will get the letter in the post by 11 tomorrow!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X