Why is my property not letting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with all the comments but in my experience the deciding factor is PRICE. I have had a flat 'stick' for a few months so I bit the bullet and made it the cheapest flat on the block, it was gone within a couple of days. One months void is a lot more than accepting a lower rent and getting it let for 12 months. I even had someone take that flat that lived in an identical one in the next block that was charging £50pm more than I asked. He's still there last I checked.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Further thoughts, and sorry to bang on but I'm just trying to help

You have a rental flat that is part of a development. The problem with developments is that there may be several others in the same development for rent, and if so you're also competing against your neighbour LLs with a probably very similar property. This pushes down rents. All the more reason to make yours special compared to the others.

(It is too late now, but if you ever do a refurb I would make the kitchen units smaller and just along the length of the far wall, not in an L-shape, which takes up more of the more-important living area. You could easily squeeze a useable kitchen along the far wall if it had wall units instead of a giant extractor hood).

Comment

Chaps,

Thanks again for your comments. Responses seem to be price-related and quality-related.

Price-wise, it's slightly lower than the others in the block. Is there such a thing as being too cheap? As in, if I was to reduce it further would it looks suspiciously cheap?

Westminster said "Further thoughts, and sorry to bang on but I'm just trying to help". Trust me - there is no need to apologise; I came on here for constructive criticism and you have given it, in spades. Thank you.

Better photos will be forthcoming. I like your point about things being either bare or aspirational, and (as you said) the presence of the sofas means it's got to be aspirational. My plan is to take some nicer bits over there (good-quality tablecloth, duvet and pillows with good bedlinen, some nice books and magazines and so on) and get some better photos. I want to do this on a bright, sunny day and this is being typed as I look out of the window at a clearing sky, so it may happen this afternoon ...

Thanks for the tip about the description being jumbled. You are right, and I didn't see that. I'll re-do it.

Your point about furniture is well-made. However I'd suggest that it has let twice before for reasonable sums and the furniture isn't low-quality. It's not the finest, but it's far from being the worst. However I came on here for advice and please don't read this as me turning my nose up at the advice given!

Your point about the other adverts being little better is an interesting one, and may run to the root of my question; if my advert is no better and no worse than the others, and the price is slightly lower, why have I had no inquiries? Is that just down to the fact that it is a quiet time of year and there are a lot of other flats out there, or am I kidding myself by saying this?

Very good point about commoditisation of flats all of the same type in a development. The flip side of this is that you can compare like-with-like very easily.

Oli.

P.S. Kitchen design - that very large wall cupboard is actually just that - a wall cupboard, which opens - a design the like of which I have never seen before! 'Twas built when the flat was built, but I'll bear your comments in mind as and when it's removed. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by zcacogp View Post
          My plan is to take some nicer bits over there (good-quality tablecloth, duvet and pillows with good bedlinen, some nice books and magazines and so on) and get some better photos. I want to do this on a bright, sunny day and this is being typed as I look out of the window at a clearing sky, so it may happen this afternoon ...
          A bright sunny day and blue skies would definitely help. I'm not sure about fully dressing the beds, tablecloth, etc. I think I might do the opposite, and make it look barer. Also consider shifting the dining suite nearer the wall on the left (the kitchen bin side), closer to the window, as it currently appears to dominate the room.

Your point about the other adverts being little better is an interesting one, and may run to the root of my question; if my advert is no better and no worse than the others, and the price is slightly lower, why have I had no inquiries?
          Maybe it's the 'part-furnished' thing? and/or the jumbled up information.

P.S. Kitchen design - that very large wall cupboard is actually just that - a wall cupboard, which opens - a design the like of which I have never seen before!
          Ah, so it's not a giant extractor hood! Then I'd mention wall cupboards in the kitchen description. Others may make the same assumption as I did from the photos.

Comment

Price-wise, it's slightly lower than the others in the block.
            Are any of them currently available? If so, can you give a link?

Comment

Zcacogp
              Another thing you could try (and this does seem specific to London) is putting in your ad 'offers around ££££'.
              When there is a lot of competition as previously suggested sometimes an good offer from the right tenant is the best way forward. I can see lack of private outside space could be an issue too.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

If you have more than one property then it might be worth investing in a wide angle lens camera.

[EDIT: and as r0b suggested, a floor plan - always helps and you rarely get them with rental property]

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
                  I agree with all the comments but in my experience the deciding factor is PRICE. I have had a flat 'stick' for a few months so I bit the bullet and made it the cheapest flat on the block, it was gone within a couple of days. One months void is a lot more than accepting a lower rent and getting it let for 12 months. I even had someone take that flat that lived in an identical one in the next block that was charging £50pm more than I asked. He's still there last I checked.
                  Hi, For me it came down to price. Rental property on the market at £425 for 36 days. Cut this down to £380 and it rented straight away.

I used the prime lens, took care over my pictures, increased exposure and took all sorts of which i thought were decent photographs but in the end it was down to price.

I undercut all the houses for rent that were listed in the same area.

Comment

I can't see it mentioned that it's listed on Rightmove, when looking myself I've always looked there first.

Comment

I'm giving you both barrels in a random order too, but it is to help.

Your photos are very poor. Basically the colour balance is inconsistent, and you need a wider angle lens (enlarges rooms). Pay a pro £150 or a good-photo friend £75 to do a decent set *after* you have done any decor and decent furniture changes. Make sure you get the full size TIFF/RAW files.

Ad doesn't feel tight and you are missing a lot of the soft stuff, so it feels cold and summarised.

Room dimensions need to be in.

Consider a little Ikea-art.

Rent: Try dropping just below a threshold not just above? £1295 or £1250 pcm? For a one year rental even £1195 now will net you as much as £1318 in a month. Personally I'd go £1195 index linked each year in Sept (ie you get a rent rise after a 6 month fixed period) and try to select for a long term tenant.

Your response technicalities should not be the first para. Make it the last. Call to action should be after the sell.

I don't see storage mentioned especially.

I'd expand and revise your top bullet points a little - do "washing machine", "dishwasher", "white goods" and "double glazing" really constitute 2/3 of the key features that will sell it to a tenant in 7 seconds!

Try selling the USPs that set you apart for particular tenants you have in mind: "Broadband/ADSL - 100 Mb/s" "Separate utility room containing ..."

I'd also say something about type of tenants - eg will you take 2 professional sharers? Mention in an inclusive way.
                      Are you pet-friendly? If so, say so and the terms. Then bullet point it.

Are there lots of identical flats - they are your competition, and you need to distinguish yourself. Check their ads and think how to be different (eg pulley in utility room?)

Go and view the other identical flats in the block.

Make your text scannable - bullet point each para with a heading, so that a scan of the headings is the elevator pitch. Then either order those in descending order for your target, or as a logical narrative.

What will it be like to live there?

How good is your sunlight? If so, say where and when (eg kitchen gets full sun in the morning/evening, lounge in the afternoon).
                      What about mail - how does that work?
                      Which tube stations (name lines and minutes to big destinations for Google)?
                      *What* are the local shops?

What are the rental arrangements?

Management, reporting of problems, are you offering a longer tenancy, do you let it roll over into a periodic?
                      What are the fees the T will be charged to move in? (becoming important)

What about getting a throwaway mobile phone and putting in "phone the LL direct with any queries"? People like it. May work or you may get cold-called.

ML
                      Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
                        Are any of them currently available? If so, can you give a link?
                        http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...hannel=renting

The OP's is the cheapest 2 bed

Comment

The OP should seriously compare the furniture, property description and photos of the other flats listed to see where he is going wrong.

Comment

9 times out of 10 it will price related, therefore you have 2 options:-

1) Reduce the price

or

2) Carry out some works to the property to ensure that you are offering that little bit more.

Comment

I note that two of the other 2-beds have two bathrooms, and balconies (not the same two).

There seems to be off street parking, and if OP's flat has this benefit then he should highlight this.

Comment

Guys,

Lots more great answers. Thanks to everyone who has provided such useful feedback.

I have tried to take into account the feedback I have had here. There is now a floorplan and each room has dimensions listed as well as area. I have started again from scratch with the wording of the advert, with each room listed separately (I followed your excellent post Westminster - thanks again; it's amazing how much more you can find to say when you think about each room in turn!) There is now a lot more detail, as well as minor things like post and caretaker and I've tried to bring the 'secure' aspect out a little more as well. Many thanks to everyone who suggested I should emphasise the storage aspect - I have done so, with a photo of the cupboard in question.

I've updated the advert with some new photos, taken with a wider angle lens and with a different colour tone to them. You can follow the link in the first post, but I suspect it will take 12-24 hours before the changes are updated on the portals. I've also dropped the price a little more - now at £310 a week. I also updated the "Semi-furnished" tag to "Negotiable".

The flat doesn't have a parking space. It is the cheapest two-bedroom flat in the development, although it doesn't have a balcony. (The one that is listed with two bathrooms is incorrectly listed - there are no two-bedroom flats in the block.)

The furniture hasn't been changed, and I hear all the comments about it. However I stick by the notion that it's pretty much as you would expect for a flat of this type; it's not a luxury flat, and has let twice before without a problem with the same furniture in it. (Please don't read this as being dismissive of the advice given - it was all appreciated).

I'd suggest that it now has one of the best adverts for a two-bedroom flat in that development AND is the cheapest. I'll keep this thread updated with progress - and please do feel free to offer feedback on the updated advert as well (I'll be genuinely interested to see what you make of the revisions).

Thanks again.

Oli.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X