Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenancy ended by agreement but L won't release deposit

Hi
    I'm in the middle of a long saga with my landlord and agent.
    We've had a leak issue for 2 years which resulted in the kitchen ceiling needing to be torn down and replaced, the bathroom ripped out and potentially floor boards replaced.
    At this point we said that we really had had enough and would like to be let out of our lease early (to enable the work to be done without added disruption to us).
    The landlady reluctantly agreed to let us out two months later.

Because of our concerns on how she may react we ensured that when we moved out we thoroughly cleaned the house (5 of us working for 7 hours), this included steaming the carpets, dry cleaning curtains, ensuring the garden was in order etc.

We attended the house check with the agents and no problems were highlighted (i have their report and can't see anything in it that would be cause for concern).
    We then waited the alloted 10 working days that the agents had advised it would take to get the deposit and nothing turned up. The agents then contacted the landlady who out of the blue has now said that she has had to pay £335 to get the house professionally cleaned (which she felt it was necessary to do before all the building work) and also wants us to pay money to get the letterbox fixed (yet she seemed perfectly happy to do that herself before we said we wanted to move out).

The agents have tried to get back in touch again with her but as yet have had no response.

I assume now that i need to write a letter to her explaining my concerns about the deposit and requesting a response or we take her to court.

Unfortanetly photo-wise we only have photo's of the awful state of the kitchen (no ceiling, bare wires etc) but i assume they can only help should it be taken to court (we are considering now claiming compensation for breach of quiet enjoyment of the property aswell).

My questions really are
    does anyone have examples of letters
    what other info should i try to gather
    can we get additional compensation
    should she have contacted us first with her concerns so that we could have come to an agreement before going ahead with the work

Thanks

deposit prob

she is having a laugh. take her to court.
    tell her that in writing first, unless she repays within 14 days of your letter. tell her the grounds for that (your argument). it won't stand up in court.

any more info, as me.

i've taken two former L.L to court for this reason and won.

Laura

Comment

Agreed, the time for pussyfooting is over. Take them to court.

Comment

If the check out Condition report was agreed, then the LL has no chance.
        ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts.
          Have just found out that on the invoice for the cleaning are various comments about the fact that they had to do extra work to make the property ready for painting. We are at least 2nd tenants in and have been there ourselves for nearly 4 years. Is this not wear and tear? Should we really have had to make the property sufficiently clean for painting?

Comment

No - it is wear and tear - take them to court as advised!

P.P.
            Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
              Berlingogirl
              This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
              27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
            • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
              MrShed

I'm assuming you are posting this for a laugh
              27-07-2017, 14:22 PM
            • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
              nukecad
              I'm surprised that you are even asking, it's obviously some kind of scam.

At the very least phishing for your personal contact details.

"British America Business man" who can't spell 'American' or even write English properly? - "my personal assistance and he...
              27-07-2017, 14:11 PM
            • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
              Pb21
              Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
              25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
            • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
              John Duff
              Following on from my last post, had the tenant not informed the police and landlord at the time, they would have failed in their duty. I therefore would expect the tenant to foot the bill at the end of the tenancy or sooner.
              27-07-2017, 13:45 PM
            • Tenant's energy debt.
              Gordonmrln
              I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
              20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
            • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
              Gordonmrln
              Hi there, I've also been looking into the office of fair trading as nobody has said whether you believe that E.on or that LCS have acted is the correct manner when looking into a debt. well I have found out this piece of information and would like to know your thoughts and views if its correct and I'm...
              27-07-2017, 13:30 PM
              John Duff
              Criminal damage not connected with the tenant occurred during the tenancy and was reported as such at the time. It is not the case that the tenant caused or was responsible for loss of value beyond wear and tear.

I'm just stating my view which appears to be backed up from sources other...
              27-07-2017, 13:15 PM
              jpkeates
              If the tenancy ended and the lock was broken, it would be a loss in value beyond fair wear and tear and I'd expect the tenant to compensate the landlord for it.
              Same as any other damage.

What's different about it during the tenancy?
              27-07-2017, 13:03 PM
              John Duff
              Yes, they have a duty of care but not the same responsibilities as a lease/freeholder.

If I was the tenant, I'd refuse to pay. This is assuming I hadn't been grossly negligent and had reported the damage at the earliest opportunity to both the police and the landlord. I would expect a TDS...
              27-07-2017, 12:55 PM
            Working...
            X