X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tim123456789
    replied
    Originally posted by bbva View Post
    My tenants are all medium earning professionals (flat in central London) None have bothered to change so it must suit them. I wouldn't object if they wanted to. I didn't find it a big deal to top up as there are 5 places on the way to the tube to do it.
    I used to work with a professional couple who would, each month, alternate bewteen paying off in full, one of their two credit cards (making minimum payment on the other)!

Some people are just born financially incompetent!

tim

Leave a comment:

• bbva
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post

It's horses for courses - depends entirely what sort of tenant you're targeting. eg, professional medium-high earners: likely to prefer credit meters; very low earners and housing benefit tenants who are budgeting on a week-to-week basis are probably going to be happier with a prepayment meter.
    My tenants are all medium earning professionals (flat in central London) None have bothered to change so it must suit them. I wouldn't object if they wanted to. I didn't find it a big deal to top up as there are 5 places on the way to the tube to do it.

Leave a comment:

• MSaxp
    replied
    It would be a deal breaker for me too and I always ask. Apart from the added cost and the limited choice of products, I would consider it insulting to have to top up a meter. It is normally associated with bad payers.

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Pre payment meters are the way to go. My last property had one when I bought it and at first I wanted to change it. COuldn't as I don't live in the UK so left it as is. 2 sets of tenants so far and neither has complained. And face it how many tenants ask if the meter is pre payment.
    Plenty of them do in my own experience; as they're aware that they'll end up paying more for their fuel if they have prepayment meters (never mind the inconvenience of topping them up etc.) It would certainly have been a deal-breaker for some of my applicants if they had been forced to use a prepayment meter, and who ended up taking up tenancies, and personally, it almost certainly would be for me, if I found myself being a tenant.

It's horses for courses - depends entirely what sort of tenant you're targeting. eg, professional medium-high earners: likely to prefer credit meters; very low earners and housing benefit tenants who are budgeting on a week-to-week basis are probably going to be happier with a prepayment meter.

Leave a comment:

• keydow
    replied
    Originally posted by westminster View Post
    The law has changed in respect of water bills.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/blog/l...-water-charges
    wow. i didnt realise this was the case. i usually let it to the tenants to inform the utility companies... guess i need to get a bit more proactive!!

Leave a comment:

• keydow
    replied
    Pre payment meters are the way to go. My last property had one when I bought it and at first I wanted to change it. COuldn't as I don't live in the UK so left it as is. 2 sets of tenants so far and neither has complained. And face it how many tenants ask if the meter is pre payment.
    actually the last property i bought had the prepaid meter in. initially the tenants wanted to change it. i was happy to do that but the bills would have had to go in my name. they used it for 6 months and then when they could change it (in their name) the said they didnt want to. they preferred the prepay meter... so I guess it does suit some people

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    The law has changed in respect of water bills.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/blog/l...-water-charges

Leave a comment:

• bbva
    replied

Leave a comment:

• keydow
    replied
    i was always under the assumption that the tenants are responsible. if there is such a sizemic change in the law like this i think you will hear about it in a LOT of places... i dont think such a change could be pushed through "unnoticed"

Leave a comment:

• LesleyAnne
    replied
    Were the bills put in the tenant's name? If so, tenant is responsible, so ring with rings meter readings, follow up on writing and they will have to chase their customer, ie the tenant.

Leave a comment:

• thesaint
    replied
    Originally posted by Kags View Post
    My tenant moved out a few weeks ago and I have just learnt that they have an outstanding debt to the utility company (gas & elecricity). The utility company employee has informed me that a recent law change means that landlords are now ultimately responsible for unpaid bills as it is their property!! (Have I been sleeping and missed something?!)
    Can anyone shed any light on this, or have had similar problems?
    They are lying to you.
    In future, if someone says something about a law change, ask them what the law is called.

Call them back with the readings, and if you don't know a forwarding address, tell them that as well.
    If they have a log of the previous call, ask to speak to the person you spoke to previously, and if they insist they are correct, ask them to put it in writing.

Leave a comment:

• Kags
    started a topic Utility Bill

Utility Bill

My tenant moved out a few weeks ago and I have just learnt that they have an outstanding debt to the utility company (gas & elecricity). The utility company employee has informed me that a recent law change means that landlords are now ultimately responsible for unpaid bills as it is their property!! (Have I been sleeping and missed something?!)
    Can anyone shed any light on this, or have had similar problems?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
    by doobrey
    My view would be that it is best for all concerned to bring the tenancy to an end.

If he gives notice, that ends the tenancy for both of them on expiry of that notice. This puts you in a considerably stronger position than if you give him notice (in which case you may well have to then...
    19-05-2022, 18:13 PM
  • What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
    by HMOmike
    I have a house rented on a standard AST to the same tenant since 2016. He has rented at other properties of mine on a single room basis for maybe 10 years prior and is a decent guy and very reliable. He is a Latvian and in 2017 he married a lady from Ukraine. He adopted his wife’s son and all 3 have...
    19-05-2022, 15:35 PM
  • Reply to Single parent renting
    by Dct
    She wants to move for reasons that are personal to her, I can't act as her gaurantor I'm the one helping her with her kids and I'm no position to do this. Some landlords need to give their heads a wobble and give single parents the benefit of the doubt
    19-05-2022, 18:13 PM
  • Single parent renting
    by Dct
    A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
    18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
    by KTC
    It would be a normal non-accelerated claim for possession, not a possession claim against trespassers occupying. Someone who stayed after their notice to quit and hence their tenancy has expired are trespassers, but they didn't originally entered as a trespassers (since they had a tenancy) so the normal...
    19-05-2022, 18:11 PM
    by HMOmike
    Thank you I never realised that they could jointly or severally give notice and that would end the contract for all, but it does make sense and you put it so clearly, thank you. How do I take it to court for possession? I have a reasonable grasp of S21 and S8 and have been to court for possession and...
    19-05-2022, 18:02 PM
  • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
    by jpkeates
    The problem is that the agent isn't bound by the tenancy agreement, and what they do with the deposit depends on their agreement with you.

As you can't do anything with the deposit anyway, because it's the company's money and they don't agree that you can have any of it, it's a bit academic...
    19-05-2022, 15:57 PM
  • Is my estate agent misleading me?
    by abimsalabim
    I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
    18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
    by jpkeates
    If the tenancy is joint and several, and it's in a periodic tenancy, one tenant can serve notice and that ends the tenancy for both of them. So you don't have to serve notice on anyone if you don't want to.
    That bit is simple.

The issue you will then face is that neither of them or...
    19-05-2022, 15:51 PM
  • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
    by abimsalabim
    The tenant agreement states that the Landlord should hold onto the deposit until the dispute is resolved but, the agent is disputing this, claiming that they are the ones to hold onto the deposit as part of their Full Management Service...
    19-05-2022, 15:31 PM
Working...
X