Horrid time in court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you everyone for your replies. I hope this post supports others.

Comment

Ericthe lobster #12. I can appreciate this as I have held multiagency meetings with children with ESBD and PHONE HAVE GONE OFF. Grrr trying to have a serious meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
        I hope this post supports others.
        Seriously?

I don't see a touchy-feely lesson here. I think the lesson is that you should go into a court hearing fully prepared, with phones off and copy documents already submitted for all parties. And if you don't you should be very grateful if the court makes the order you have applied for, rather than complaining about the horrid judge.

Comment

I have to agree- it is a no nonsense and very focused environment, and the ill prepared and nervous do find themselves overwhelmed.

I can't say if she was truly rude or if her judgement of you was wrong, nor whether it is a matter of perspective and expectation , however as a rule they "will not suffer fools gladly" and to them a fool is someone who is not prepared and able to present and argue a case.

If you are,then you will find them "nice" and likely to approach you in a far more positive frame of mind, after all, even though they have the papers, those are for their information and verification, bur it is for you to present and argue the case ( or defend).

I sympathise in that I have met 3 horrible members of the judiciary, two where I knew the law better than they- then you see them really cross .

If you wish to complain then you can do so here with the OJC

http://judicialcomplaints.judiciary....laints_mag.htm
          The sort of conduct we may be able to deal with:

• Discrimination
          • Inappropriate behaviour and comments
          • Misuse of judicial status (e.g. using judicial title for personal gain)
          • Not fulfilling judicial duties (e.g. failing to meet sitting requirements)
          • Criminal convictions
          • Professional misconduct (e.g. findings by a professional body, such as the Bar Standards Board)
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

A court isn't supposed to be a place for jollity. Of court you’ll be reprimanded for not switching your phone off. Why would you not switch it off as soon as you enter the building, never mind waiting until you’re called. You are in court, hinting that something has already gone wrong, meaning that no call in the world takes priority over the current situation.
            Seriously? One copy of your paperwork for the entire chamber? Always, always take at least three copies. One for you (with all the key points highlighted), a copy for the judge and another for the defendant. If the duty solicitor/advisor wants a copy, they can deal with the defendant.
            Judges see these claims every five minutes and don’t have time to be ‘touchy feely’. They have to deal with fact, not conjecture. The facts are evidenced by payments, or lack thereof. The facts are evidenced by letters from Housing Benefit, notices from Landlord, awards from DWP, medical records, etc. They do not have to account for ‘it was Christmas and I needed a new X-box for the kids’.
            Granted, some judges are grumpier than others, but they are there to make a decision on procedural right and wrong, not morality, It’s unfortunate that everyone in chambers came out feeling deflated, but it’s not unusual. LHA is right, it's all about preparation. If you know your case, the judge will give you the credibility you deserve.
            I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.

Comment

Yes, you do need to be properly prepared - and ready with all the facts to argue the case. If the court was 45 mins running late, I would be sitting there, re-reading my documentation and making notes of dates etc.

At least from the experience you had, you will learn for next time and go in properly prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
                Thank you everyone for your replies. I hope this post supports others.
                I think it is a useful thread.
                It highlights some very important issues.
                A members experience of the court system will be useful for other members wishing to prepare for court.

There were some very good posts on preparing for court from a member called Joannepowell. If you do a member name search you will find them
                All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

It seems that Bournemouth CC must be the only one where the ushers - all in my experience formidable women, insist that phones are produced before entering the chamber and switched off at that point in the corridor. I never take my phone into the building.

In December at a CC hearing my opponent did not know how to switch off his new i phone. The usher snatched it from him, pressed a few buttons and discarded it to the carpeted floor of the corridor for him to pick up. Bearing in mind he was of the opinion that women are all inferior it was amusing to find the judge taking the case was incredibly like Hattie Jacques in manner and looks. It was his worst nightmare I could tell.

I am of the opinion that CC judges have a 'court persona' which enables them to get through the day and for the nervous newbie it is not always a pleasant experience.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
                    The usher snatched it from him, pressed a few buttons and discarded it to the carpeted floor of the corridor for him to pick up.
                    Well respect goes both ways, and this could be a criminal offense (try to do that to someone in the street and see what the police thinks about it...)

Comment

claymore#21 I have, indeed, had a learning experience. I have always used the 'paper' option for a S21 but this time I used online. The paper option is easier to follow, I think. Not that I have to follow a S21 through to court all that often!

Comment

Two good reason to switch off and not to use a mobile in court

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiff...1466-30287002/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...herts-15057842
                        Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X