Rent review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent review

Hi there I am a landlord and have a fixed term tenancy of 3 years.The contract states from the commencement date an annual review of the contractual agreement is to be in place with a clause to terminate or extend the agreement at the discretion of the landlord and/or tenant.A minimum of 6 months notice is required by the landlord and 3 months by the tenant.The contract has no mention of a rent review.
    I would like to know if I can increase the rent with notice during the fixed term of three years? The tenant is in to the 19 month of the contract.
    Thanks for any advice.

No, you have a contract of £X for 3 years.

Incidentally, was the tenancy executed as a deed? If not, you may not be able to hold the tenant to their 3 months notice.

Your only option, if you want to risk it, is to activate the break clause (subject to wording) and then offer the tenant a new agreement at your new rent. They may agree to the new rent, they may not. Once the break clause has ended the fixed term tenancy (6 months hence) you could look at increasing the rent via a section 13 notice.

Comment

Rent review

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
      No, you have a contract of £X for 3 years.

Incidentally, was the tenancy executed as a deed? If not, you may not be able to hold the tenant to their 3 months notice.

Your only option, if you want to risk it, is to activate the break clause (subject to wording) and then offer the tenant a new agreement at your new rent. They may agree to the new rent, they may not. Once the break clause has ended the fixed term tenancy (6 months hence) you could look at increasing the rent via a section 13 notice.
      Thank you for the advice.Please could you explain why the tenanacy should have been executed as a deed? Is it because it is runs longer than two years?
      Thanks

Comment

If the term is for three years or less then a deed was not required

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X