Utilities- unoccupied house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utilities- unoccupied house

I'm about to exchange and complete on a previously tenanted house that is currently vacant. I need gas and electricity so I can check the boiler works, carry out some repairs and improvements etc. etc.

Obviously I'll use very little energy, it would be cheaper for me to get a supplier with a tarrif that makes no standing charge.

My first thought was just to pick the first supplier I can find that doesn't make a standing charge. It doesn't really matter how high their tarrif is, to me. But maybe I should bear in mind that a tenant will be moving in who will using more energy. OK they can swap, but from day one they might be paying a high tarrif.

Do you think this is worth any more thought, or should I just get on with it with any supplier who doesn't charge a standing charge?

Thanks.

For reference

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...124#post414124
    Thunderbirds are go

Comment

You will need some energy this time of year to stop the place getting damp. I really don't think it worth the hassle changing suppliers for the short time while renovating. Just use whatever companies are supplying at the moment, and let your future tenant change if they wish.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
        You will need some energy this time of year to stop the place getting damp. I really don't think it worth the hassle changing suppliers for the short time while renovating. Just use whatever companies are supplying at the moment, and let your future tenant change if they wish.
        The place has been vacant for some time; I don't know who the previous supplier was and am unlikely to find out. Do you think it's likely that there's still a supply there, not switched off?

Comment

Originally posted by 45002 View Post
          This is a different property. The one referred to in those threads has gone through without any problems, to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricco E View Post
            The place has been vacant for some time; I don't know who the previous supplier was and am unlikely to find out. Do you think it's likely that there's still a supply there, not switched off?
            Yeah, unless someone was growing cannabis and the police asked them to shut it off. This website may help:

http://cfe.custhelp.com/app/answers/...s-suppliers%3F

Comment

I take it that it is a PAYG meter?
              Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Ricco E View Post
                I don't know who the previous supplier was and am unlikely to find out. Do you think it's likely that there's still a supply there, not switched off?
                Well, regardless of whether it's switched on or not, the property will still be registered with the previous supplier, and that's who you need to track down and contact because like it ot not, they will also be your supplier when you take possession.

Information for findig the supplier is here:
                http://www.ukenergy.co.uk/pages/area.html

The point is that even if you pick new utility suppliers on the day you move in, it takes a finite lenght of time to process the application during which time you will be billed by the previous companies. You can pick your tarrif though, so as you've said, just pick one with a zero standing charge - most companies do them now - and make sure you hand in the meter reading and move-in date so you don't get screwed for the previous owner's bill.

As has been mentioned, it's probably not worth your while switching suppliers for its own sake; though the last time I bought a property I did so just in order to grab the cashback on offer - think I got £30 or £40? Eg see moneysavingexpert or quidco.

Comment

How long is the house going to be empty

It will take a month for the new supplier to take over, and you will be billed by the current one in the meantime (there's no option to backdate to date of request)

Will it be worth changing

Comment

standing charge

standing charge
                    The standing charge never really went away,most Utilities suppliers will charge a higher rate for 1st 180 units used on electric then at a lower rate after 180 units have been used,smiler for Gas ...

Did you know

You can switch suppliers every 28 days if you want to
                    But

be careful to check for cancellation charges.
                    http://www.uswitch.com/gas-electrici...d-electricity/
                    Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X