Potential issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential issues?

I have recently found a wonderful place to move closer to my elderly mum who needs my help more and more each day, however I am having issues with the landlord and I haven't even moved in so I was hoping that I could run them past you lovely people so that you could offer advice.

The property was advertised as part furnished, this included carpets, lampshades, fridge, freezer, washing machine, cooker (all of which I have but will have to get rid of) Upon the initial viewing the landlord suggested leaving 2 x wardrobes, and a bed (all of which I have but will have to throw away) I wasn't overly happy about this but compromised that eventually they would be moved out. They did try and palm two bedside cabinets off on me also, which I stated that I didn't need.

On the second viewing, a chest of drawers appeared (next to one set of the wardrobes that weren't there previously and the bedside cabinets were also there. I also asked if the massive display cabinet, coffee table, giant microwave and TV unit would be staying, they said yes and refused to compromise despite my pleas stating that I wouldn't be able to fit all my stuff in this small two bedroomed house with theirs too. This stuff is not at all to my taste, I didnt tell them that though, I was as tactful as I could be about it!

I am stretching my budget for this place, it is the maximum for me, she even refused to drop the monthly rent £10 despite it being overpriced and outdated fittings and fixtures(think advacado bathroom )

Another sticking point is the moving in date, I am unable to take holidays during term time and have to take them during the school holidays, however they will not relent on this and insist on moving day being on the 1st March as they have "painting to do", I have said that the removal men will struggle to move me with it being a Friday and they are busy, but they are still refusing to give - even a day before. The worrying part is that they wants me to move on a day they are off work as they would like to be there to show me round, I don't know how much more I can see of a two up two down???

I do really want this house, the move will mean so much to be and my mum but I am not sure how to go about getting what I want without upsetting her. Any ideas?

Originally posted by afrayednot View Post
    The property was advertised as part furnished, this included carpets, lampshades, fridge, freezer, washing machine, cooker (all of which I have but will have to get rid of) Upon the initial viewing the landlord suggested leaving 2 x wardrobes, and a bed (all of which I have but will have to throw away)
    You can't just 'throw away' or 'get rid of' the LL's furniture or appliances (or, if you did, he could claim against you for the cost of replacing it). If you don't want the stuff, then say so NOW, before signing a contract. If the LL refuses to move the stuff out, then you should consider looking for another, unfurnished, property.

Equally, if the LL refuses to allow you to start the tenancy on a convenient date, find a more cooperative LL.

Comment

Thanks for your reply and advice

I must note and clarify that I will have to get rid of my wardrobe, bed, freezer, cooker,fridge etc to make way for their possessions, not the other way round. Apologies if it came across if I was going to get rid of their stuff!

Comment

Oh, sorry! I misread your post.

Comment

Still, it may be best to be less tactful, and say exactly what you want.

Bear in mind that if you were to sign up for a six month fixed term, it's quite possible the LL could seek possession not long after that for no particular reason, under s.21 Housing Act 1988 (whatever the LL says about his long term plans...). So think twice before getting rid of all your possessions. It does sound like you might be better suited to an unfurnished property....?

Comment

Originally posted by afrayednot View Post
            The property was advertised as part furnished, this included carpets, lampshades, fridge, freezer, washing machine, cooker (all of which I have but will have to get rid of).
            If you are renting a furnished or part-furnished property I don't think you can be too surprised or unhappy if it has furniture in it! The landlord has made the business decision to let the property as he has; if he were to agree to your request then he has to get rid of his stuff or organise storage.

Sometimes people post here in a similar position, but about finding furniture in the property when the move in, whereas they viewed it unfurnished (or vice versa). Assuming you haven't signed anything yet, you are in a different position - if the landlord won't change his mind, you either like it or lump it.

FYI I let my own properties part-furnished to the level I want, and I quite often get asked if I will either provide extra items or remove stuff that's currently there; the answer's always 'no', as the incoming tenant may be gone in 6 months leaving me with more or less furniture than I actually want.

Another sticking point is the moving in date, I am unable to take holidays during term time and have to take them during the school holidays, however they will not relent on this and insist on moving day being on the 1st March as they have "painting to do", I have said that the removal men will struggle to move me with it being a Friday and they are busy, but they are still refusing to give - even a day before.
            Again this just comes down to negotiating - if they are adamant about this, then you'll have to comply; if it's a seller's market in your area then they've plenty of time to find someone else before 1 February. is the property currently empty? If so,bit surprising that they can't make it 28 Feb rather than 1 Mar; I'd have thought they'd be pushing for an earlier date rather than later. If the property is occupied, when does it become vacant?

When do you need to vacate your current property? Can you afford to overlap a bit if have to? Or can you move in without all your stuff and 'camp' there until the removal men are free? (And are you sure you can't find one for the Friday)?

The worrying part is that they wants me to move on a day they are off work as they would like to be there to show me round, I don't know how much more I can see of a two up two down???
            I don't think that's worrying at all - I always meet my tenants at the property on move-in. Most importantly, I expect they want to do an inventory with you, and that's the time to do it. There will also probably be details to tell you as a tenant which they wouldn't go into when showing you round - how to work the boiler; where the stop-cock is; when bin day is; etc etc

You say they want to do it on a day they are off work - are they local? can they move you in on the evening the day before? Personally, if a tenancy starts on, say, 10th of the months, I'll often agree to meet the tenant at the property for handover after work on the evening of the 9th; ie they get the keys a few hours early and have the whole of the following day to get moved in, starting as early as they want. Would that be an option for you (even if you had to offer to pay a day's rent for the previous day?)

I do really want this house, the move will mean so much to be and my mum but I am not sure how to go about getting what I want without upsetting her. Any ideas?
            Ultimately it's down to negotiating what you and the landlord want out of this - if you can't reach an agreement then you'll have to walk away. At least you haven't signed anything or paid any money yet (presumably?) which would make the situation more awkward.

Comment

Although i know you like this house, i do think (like others) that you need an unfurnished house, also i agree with you regarding not wanting a furnished flat with '' tired and old junk '' as furniture but as others have said, this is what the LL considers adequate furniture, but then again most let properties do not have what would be considered the best of the best, i have seen a few let properties and without exeption the ' furnished ' ones always look like the set of the young ones. The decision is yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                I don't think that's worrying at all - I always meet my tenants at the property on move-in. Most importantly, I expect they want to do an inventory with you, and that's the time to do it. There will also probably be details to tell you as a tenant which they wouldn't go into when showing you round - how to work the boiler; where the stop-cock is; when bin day is; etc etc

I think that it's worrying that a professional LL self managing a property who has another jobm, expectes his tenants to work around that other job,

If you're a professional LL that has to come first (after a right to a personal life, obviously).

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post
                  Although i know you like this house, i do think (like others) that you need an unfurnished house, also i agree with you regarding not wanting a furnished flat with '' tired and old junk '' as furniture but as others have said, this is what the LL considers adequate furniture, but then again most let properties do not have what would be considered the best of the best, i have seen a few let properties and without exeption the ' furnished ' ones always look like the set of the young ones. The decision is yours.
                  I suppose that this depends upon area.

I was looking in Cambridge and one that I saw had been available for weeks. It was glaringly obvious that the reason it hadn't let was because it was full of old junk, but LL wouldn’t throw it away so that he could let to someone like me who wanted it unfurnished and anybody who did want furnished just thought "Yuk"!

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123456789 View Post
                    I think that it's worrying that a professional LL self managing a property who has another jobm, expectes his tenants to work around that other job
                    Sure - I assumed (maybe wrongly) that the 'worrying' part was that the landlord expected to be present when the keys were handed over

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X