Tenants move out EARLY!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenants move out EARLY!!

Can someone tell me if a group of tenants move out before the tenancy has ended but have paid the rent up to the last day can they still keep there keys to come and go as they please?One of the group handed the key in the others kept theirs.
    Also when would an inventory become due the day the move or when the end of tenancy date has been reached?

Originally posted by bazza View Post
    Can someone tell me if a group of tenants move out before the tenancy has ended but have paid the rent up to the last day can they still keep there keys to come and go as they please?One of the group handed the key in the others kept theirs.
    Also when would an inventory become due the day the move or when the end of tenancy date has been reached?
    Yes. Tenancy runs until it expires, so they could have stayed put; moving out doesn't prejudice their right to move back in. Similarly, inventory relevany only at/after expiry and therefore not when tenants left.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

jeffery,the thing that I have a question over is the tenats did not come back for the check out and it was discovered by the new agents that items where missing.If the check out occured on the day they moved out this might have been avoided also damage was discovered to an upstairs carpet this could have addressed at the check out with the tenants but as they had already moved out it could not surely this will lead to a great deal of ambiguity later on over how much deposit is kept back as they will deny the damage and say it happend after they moved out!!

Comment

Originally posted by bazza View Post
        jeffery,the thing that I have a question over is the tenats did not come back for the check out and it was discovered by the new agents that items where missing.If the check out occured on the day they moved out this might have been avoided also damage was discovered to an upstairs carpet this could have addressed at the check out with the tenants but as they had already moved out it could not surely this will lead to a great deal of ambiguity later on over how much deposit is kept back as they will deny the damage and say it happend after they moved out!!
        Hmm- tenants are responsible for handing back to L, at end of tenancy, what L handed to them at start of tenancy. They haven't done so. Why should onus not be on them? They could have requested inspection when they moved out, if they were so concerned by what might happen afterwards.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X