Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query on AST dep - leaving early with LL agreement

Hi,

My wife signed a 6 month contract to rent a house. 4 months into the contract the landlord put the house on the market. My wife queried whether it would be ok to move out before the 6 months were up and landlord said yes fine no problems.

So we found another house, wrote to the landlord a month before moving out letting her know. My wife called since we didn't hear anything and she has been away looking after her ill mother. She then stated that she would keep the deposit as the last months rent as it was a 6 month contract. My wife challenged this and said you agreed to us moving out, she agreed this was the case but said it was a 6 month contract and so she would hang to the deposit.

I think the LL has more or less agreed to give our deposit back, however just in case where do we stand - this was all verbal and the LL is not disputing any of it, although I suspect that will change if things get out of hand.

Thanks in advance for views.

As far as I know if you have a 6 month contract you have to honour it.Unless the landlord agrees in writing otherwise.If the house was put on the market then I think the LL was slightly harsh in keeping the deposit as it would be in there interest if you were not there.

It would be advisadble though to get anything agreed in writing if you think the LL may go back on there word though.The LL should have clarified about the rent when they agreed to you moving early though if they didnt that is a bit remiss on there part anyway.

Can anyone else help with this?

Comment

Anyone else?

Would you say that there is a written contract, a verbal contract was also agreed afterwards?

The LL is not disputing that she agreed that we could move out early, far from she agrees. Although neither my wife or the LL discussed the return of the deposit. Interesting one..

Comment

Originally posted by faxfan2002 View Post
        Anyone else?
        Blimey keep your hair on - you only posted your query 50 minutes ago! Do you imagine there are hundreds of LLs sitting here logged into this forum in the middle of a working day, waiting for your questions?!!

Anyway - basically, no, he can't keep your deposit; however because you've broken your contract he is allowed to charge you rent (as far as the end of the contract) and readvertising costs etc until he gets a new tenant in - and he must actively look for one. The amount charged is likely to be less than your deposit - but could be more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
          Blimey keep your hair on - you only posted your query 50 minutes ago! Do you imagine there are hundreds of LLs sitting here logged into this forum in the middle of a working day, waiting for your questions?!!

Anyway - basically, no, he can't keep your deposit; however because you've broken your contract he is allowed to charge you rent (as far as the end of the contract) and readvertising costs etc until he gets a new tenant in - and he must actively look for one. The amount charged is likely to be less than your deposit - but could be more than that.
          Erm, firsted posted on 28th

Comment

You need to clear that there is a difference between you surrendering the tenancy early and the landlord accepting, but still charging rent as entitled, and surrendering the tenancy without penalty.
            All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Am I locked in to agency fees?
              SaurfLondonLad
              I am just coming to the end of my first year of being a LL on a property which I self manage. My tenants are great and I now wish to ditch my agent to save them and me money and collect the rent myself. The agent's contract does clearly state that fees are liable for as long as the tenant resides. This...
              15-01-2018, 20:02 PM
            • Reply to Am I locked in to agency fees?
              jpkeates
              Don't lie to the agent - they're not (that) stupid, and then you would owe them the fees if they claimed them.

I'd try and negotiate a deal - for most businesses a large chunk of income today is worth more than the promise of income month by month.

The agent's business model...
              16-01-2018, 09:24 AM
            • Termination of Tenancy
              janeygee
              Hi,
              looking for some practical advice here, first post.I shall try to hit the main points and be brief.
              I have been renting my house to a couple whilst I have been out of the UK with a private rental contract, visiting the house once a year. They have been renting for 10 years , on a one...
              15-01-2018, 15:34 PM
            • Reply to Termination of Tenancy
              jpkeates
              The tenant "gave" the landlord the light fittings and power sockets when they fitted them to the landlord's property.
              They can't return the property with holes where they used to be - that isn't fair wear and tear.
              They could replace them with sockets and light fittings equivalent...
              16-01-2018, 09:19 AM
            • Letting in name of a Ltd company
              matt.svppli
              Hi,

I have a quick question to ask.
              Is it generally acceptable to sign a tenancy agreement in name of one's business and make rent payments via a business account?

The idea here is that part of the rented house would work as a home office, therefore I would like the payments...
              15-01-2018, 14:16 PM
            • Reply to Letting in name of a Ltd company
              theartfullodger
              That would be fraud (probably, based on what OP stated), a criminal offence...
              16-01-2018, 09:18 AM
            • Deposit not Protected
              prm70115
              Hi there,

I have recently found out the the agent (working for the landlord) has not protected my deposit paid Summer 2017 for a 6 month tenancy. The tenancy is up in 2 weeks and I have been asked if I want to renew which I would like to do as I wish to stay in the property.

15-01-2018, 11:42 AM
            • Reply to Deposit not Protected
              theartfullodger
              You are, in my opinion, better off with an unprotected deposit. No s21 eviction notice can be valid until they return deposit in full & you can sue for up to 3xdeposit penalty. So don;t ask for it to be protected. If they anyway protect it both of these are still true.

Do nothing....
              16-01-2018, 09:17 AM
            • Reply to Deposit not Protected
              KTC
              You won't see my other response yet which got caught in moderation, which already made the same point. Just leave them to it whether you renew or not. If they still haven't protected the deposit and serve you the required prescribed information by 30 days after your renewed tenancy start or it going...
              16-01-2018, 09:16 AM
            • Reply to Letting in name of a Ltd company
              jpkeates
              That would make some sense, but that doesn't seem to be what's proposed here.

A property incorporating a "home office" isn't lodgings near a remote workplace....
              16-01-2018, 09:09 AM
            Working...
            X