Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit issues

Dear friends

My concern is about a property deposit. Specifically i was a T and i asked to end a tenancy agreement earlier and the LA and the L have accepted this but they have not told me for any fees for ending the tenancy earlier, However, i returned the keys and the property was in excellent condition. Now 1 month later the landlord is refusing to return the deposit, for covering his loss and for breach of contract as he stating. Please note that there was no any clause stating for any fees for ending the tenancy earlier or breach of contract. And neither the LA or the L have informed when i asked for ending the tenancy for any fees that i have to pay. Does he have the right to do so? Thanks in advance

How did the agent and LL 'accept' your early surrender of the tenancy? What did they say/write, and do? Please describe each step along the way, starting from you asking to end the tenancy.

Did you/LL sign a deed of surrender?

Has the LL re-let the property since you moved out?

Comment

Thanks a lot friend for your response.
      At first i am a student and due to money difficulties i have to end the property and move in,a shared accommodation. Further, firstly i have send 3 months before the end of the tenancy to the letting agent an email and a formal letter asking for ending earlier the tenancy agreement for reasons beyond my control. The next day the letting agent has respond to me saying that is confirming my request and has informed the landlord for that, and they are going to proceed with the procedure of check out only this. Further, the have send me a letter - notice a request to vacate the property, and last a letter for the check out date, for the day moving out, cleaning etc. At the end of the checkout, the letting agent has orally informed me that the landlord is going to keep the deposit if he do not find a tenant soon, proposal which i have rejected. 10 days after the ending of the tenancy they have contacted me and asked me to accept the proposal for returning the deposit to the landlord for loss, as i have end the tenancy earlier. Secondly, No the landlord has not re let the property yet.

Again Thanks a lot in advance, i really appreciate your help

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Is it worth becoming a BTL landlord if you have no DIY skills?
        LordLand78
        Does the average BTL landlord do a ton of DIY? I have a disability which means that most DIY is simply impractical, meaning I will likely never pickup DIY skills, except the ones that involve no hand strength or dexterity (lol). Thanks
        17-10-2019, 16:26 PM
      • Reply to Is it worth becoming a BTL landlord if you have no DIY skills?
        ram
        Are you fully conversant with ALL the rules and regulations, laws, deposit protection, eviction procedures, and such overlooked things such as, it's not your house any more as you have assigned it over to a tenant. You cant just call unannounced ( best not to ), nor wander round unannounced, as it's...
        18-10-2019, 23:47 PM
      • Reply to Is it worth becoming a BTL landlord if you have no DIY skills?
        LordLand78
        I already own a house outright and am planning on letting it out for £1000-£1200pcm, and using the income to pay cheaper pcm rent elsewhere. According to my research and calculations, after fees (say 15%) for full management, taxes, and unforeseen expenses (say £2-3k a year), I should have a yearly...
        18-10-2019, 23:07 PM
      • Five Friends Renting a Home.
        PaulBlartFan
        Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, I'm new to the forum.
        Me and 4 other (completely unrelated) people are looking to rent an unfurnished 5 bed house sometime in 2021, from what I have seen it does not seem possible to do that legally, and instead we would need to rent a HMO.
        The...
        17-10-2019, 22:06 PM
      • Reply to Five Friends Renting a Home.
        AlexR
        At the outset your plan looks good...…. but stuff happens and that's why there are rules. The rules are there because you are 5 individuals who may all have partners, individual schedules, cooking requirements , bathroom timetables etc and that uses a house in a different way . At some time the...
        18-10-2019, 22:56 PM
      • tenant with 3 kids
        abc777uu
        Hi,
        My current tenant has 2 kids and living in my 2 bed flat.
        the kids are a 5 years old girl and a 6 months old baby boy.
        recently, I came to know that the tenant’s wife is pregnant.
        by law, can they stay in 2 bed flat with 3 kids?

Please advise.
        Thanks...
        16-10-2019, 14:10 PM
      • Reply to tenant with 3 kids
        leaseholder64
        The actual legislation basically says that it is a defence that they have applied for council housing and haven't refused a reasonable offer. Relatives are also allowed to hold over until they find alternative accommodation. In practice they won't get council accommodation and the chances are that...
        18-10-2019, 21:57 PM
      • Does deposit cover rent?
        Lawcruncher
        A tenancy agreement contains the following provision:

The landlord may make reasonable deductions from the deposit for any damage or costs incurred, or as provision for unsettled bills

Does that cover rent? I do not think it does since rent is not any of damage, costs or an...
        16-10-2019, 21:50 PM
      • Reply to Does deposit cover rent?
        Lawcruncher
        Strictly they are not 100%, but I think we can concede that it is not unreasonable to assume that most deposit provisions cover rent.

For the record, the agreement from which the deposit clause was taken was very amateurishly drafted in other respects....
        18-10-2019, 20:44 PM
      • Reply to Does deposit cover rent?
        Lawcruncher
        Any assumption that the deposit automatically covers anything has in my view to be incorrect. The deposit is a security and only covers what the agreement says it covers...
        18-10-2019, 20:39 PM
      Working...
      X