Siliconing the bath

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siliconing the bath

Silly question but who is resonsible to resilicone the bath in the middle of an AST

Depends why it needs the work? has it reached the end of its life? Tenant been negligent and not ventilated causing it to mould up and dry/crack?

Ultimately, by the letter of the law I suspect that it would fall within the obligations of the Landlord under S11 L&T A 1985.
    [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

I doubt it falls under LL's s.11 repairing obligations.

It could easily fall under a T's duty to behave in a tenant-like manner, but that's still questionable. What if the sealant were on its last legs at the start of the tenancy? Why should T pay to fix it a month later? Different scenario if it's 10 years into an AST.

However, the silliness is if LL refuses to reseal then ends up with damp damage downstairs. If LL is convinced that T is responsible, but T refuses, then LL should carry out the work and claim against T for the cost.

Comment

I have to say, I wouldn't dream of leaving this to a tenant, or even to a tradesman. They always botch it up!

The secret is to cut all the old stuff out with Stanley blades, hoover, and then rub over with Meths on a bit of kitchen roll. If your hands are a bit shaky, mask a 1/4" gap with masking tape.

Fill up the bath, and run a 1/4" bead along the gap. Use the best silicone you can find. Lick your finger and run it over the top. Remove masking immediately, and smooth again. Leave water in until next day. Should be a perfect result.

Comment

Seems to me that this is part of keeping the bath in repair and proper working order, and so LL's duty under s.11.

Comment

A bath still works even if it leaks down the sides. And that only happens if you splash a lot; it's not inevitable that there would be leaks with a careful bather.

Comment

Well what is in repair and _proper_ working order, then? I think if you ask any reasonable bystander if that would include any sort of leak, I'm pretty sure the result would be clear.

In many houses there's only a bath so it is also used as shower. If not sealed properly water will leak through.

Comment

I'm changing a bath at the moment and I did one a couple of months ago. I have found that if you seal it with 90 degree plastic angles, about three quarters of an inch depending on the gap then it turns out very smart and does not gather mould at all. Easy to wipe over and restore the pristine look. Seal it with silicone of course but that's all hidden under the plastic.
                I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Great advice from JK0. Dow Corning 785 is the best silicon I've found. Water with a good dollop of washing-up liquid in it is a good substitute for wetting your finger.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
                    Well what is in repair and _proper_ working order, then? I think if you ask any reasonable bystander if that would include any sort of leak, I'm pretty sure the result would be clear.
                    Ask any reasonable bystander and I'm sure they'd say the LL is responsible for sweeping the chimney or changing a tap washer.

Doesn't follow that a court would agree it's the LL's obligation. The average bystander isn't aware of s.11 nor Lord Denning's judgment in Warren v Keen.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                      I have to say, I wouldn't dream of leaving this to a tenant, or even to a tradesman. They always botch it up!
                      Absolutely - that overrules any "Denning" issues for me, as the inevitable outcome (when you have a shower over the bath) just isn't worth contemplating.

The secret is to cut all the old stuff out with Stanley blades, hoover, and then rub over with Meths on a bit of kitchen roll. If your hands are a bit shaky, mask a 1/4" gap with masking tape.

Fill up the bath, and run a 1/4" bead along the gap. Use the best silicone you can find. Lick your finger and run it over the top. Remove masking immediately, and smooth again. Leave water in until next day. Should be a perfect result.
                      Not sure why you'd want to use saliva to lubricate your finger instead of dipping it in the water in the bath, but hey (some people reckon it makes subsequent mould growth more likely too...)

The mutt's nuts for this job is undoubtedly the Fugenboy - it's an absolute revelation to use and everyone I've heard of who's tried one swears by them. The finish you get is far better than any other form of tool (or finger) for doing the job, and is much easier too.

Comment

I will never ever ever let a T anywhere near silicon. My T tried to seal the edge of the bath and got silicon everywhere. It was such a mess I was stunned into silence. My handyman and I had to scrape it all off and it took AGES, although we laughed all the time we were there over the dreadful job the T had done.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X