Can I bring a lawyer/friend to my checkout and do I have to tell the landlord?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by Dogtanian View Post
    Actually, a couple more questions if I may. I have suggested a noon checkout time which my landlord has rejected without reason. He's suggested two other times but neither are good for me - I've built my schedule around moving out like a house of cards!

Do I have any rights in this or do I have to fit in with him? I feel like I've made enough concessions already.
    No, you don't have any 'right' even to be there at checkout at all - it could be argued he's making a 'concession' to you by allowing you to attend!

I would certainly want to attend myself if I were in your shoes though.

Leave a comment:

• nick..
    replied
    Originally posted by Dogtanian View Post
    Also, he has asked in writing today that I 'do not clean the property as professional cleaning is required'. It needs nothing of the sort - it's not dirty or soiled in any way and I want to clean it to the same standard I found it in(which admittedly was clean) same as with the other flats I've moved out of..
    Oh dear, some will try anything on won't they. Do as you say and clean the property to the standard you found it in, do not let him take any money for professional cleaning if there is nothing more than wear and tear. Amazing how many landlords feel that the deposit is their re-decoration budget. Amazing

There will be less of this when TDS's are introduced

Leave a comment:

• Dogtanian
    replied
    Actually, a couple more questions if I may. I have suggested a noon checkout time which my landlord has rejected without reason. He's suggested two other times but neither are good for me - I've built my schedule around moving out like a house of cards!

Do I have any rights in this or do I have to fit in with him? I feel like I've made enough concessions already.

Also, he has asked in writing today that I 'do not clean the property as professional cleaning is required'. It needs nothing of the sort - it's not dirty or soiled in any way and I want to clean it to the same standard I found it in(which admittedly was clean) same as with the other flats I've moved out of.

I suspect he will be taking the charge for the professional cleaning out of my deposit. There's nothing in my contract that states that states there has to be a pro cleaner at checkout, so should I say that he will need to bear the costs for this himself if he wants one?

Thanks again in advance for any advice.

Leave a comment:

• Dogtanian
    replied
    Thanks P.P. and Paul F! This is a fantastic site.

Leave a comment:

• PaulF
    replied
    Don't worry. Your landlord has to prove dilapidations and you don't so if his inventory at check-in was poor you have little to worry about. Look at my other threads on this subject if you can locate them.

Leave a comment:

• P.Pilcher
    replied
    There is absoloutely no reason why your landlord should be informed - you are merely using an independent witness as to the state of the property when you vacate and the comments on that state made by the landlord. I suggest you introduce him to the landlord as a friend who is assisting you with your move and say nothing more.

P.P.

Leave a comment:

• Can I bring a lawyer/friend to my checkout and do I have to tell the landlord?

Hello. I guess the title says it all... but I'll elaborate anyway.

I live by myself and am checking out of my property soon. I'm not with a letting agency so there won't be any third party present. My landlord is not the most scrupulous person and I'd rather have someone with me during the checkout and inventory procedure.

Can a friend attend this with me, and does it matter if that person is a lawyer? Do I have to tell the landlord in advance? I'd rather not.

Sorry if this is rather a simple question - I suspect the answer is yes, but I want to do everything by the book!

Thanks!
    DT.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Unlicensed and HMO and room size
    by zrux
    My area doesn't need a HMO licence for 4 bed property. The license is only reqd for a 5 bed and more.

I have a 4 bed property which I rent out to students as a 3 bedroom house. The 4th bedroom size is bit less than 6.51 sq meters reqd for a HMO license and as a result I have never allowed...
    25-01-2022, 14:11 PM
  • Reply to VAT @ 20% on energy bills charged on by letting agent ?
    by Sydaton
    I'm not saying that it's correct for the agent to add VAT (because it's a disbursement not a supply) but if they were adding 20% to the net price they wouldn't be losing any money.

The sums would be
    purchase £100 + 5% VAT = £105
    sale £100 + 20% VAT = £120

Agent...
    25-01-2022, 13:59 PM
  • VAT @ 20% on energy bills charged on by letting agent ?
    by Affinite
    My agent collects rent from my student tenants along with a monthly utilities charge.as part of their "Bills Inclusive" package
    In the past, the utilities charge to my tenants has always included VAT at 5% (as per normal domestic bills) however the agent has now told me that his accountant...
    25-01-2022, 11:13 AM
  • Reply to Water Damage
    by Hooper
    As a word of warning - it took my insurers two months to arrange a first inspection by their loss adjuster and five months to agree to lift floor coverings to inspect beneath after water ingress in a rental.

As frustrating as it is for you, I don't think that your tenants complaining about...
    25-01-2022, 13:45 PM
  • Water Damage
    by Cheetah
    I have three 20-somethings in an ex-council flat in a block of six. A week ago they reported that the carpet and the furniture legs in the small bedroom had been damaged by water ingress. The tenant in that room had to move into the lounge. The council have accepted responsibility for the damage as...
    25-01-2022, 08:34 AM
  • Reply to Water Damage
    by jpkeates
    Tell the council that you can't do what they ask and move on....
    25-01-2022, 13:05 PM
  • Reply to What to do at the end of an AST period?
    by jpkeates
    This is a common thread.

OP - What should I do at the end of the fixed term, let it go periodic or a new fixed term?
    Experienced forum member 1 - let it go periodic. Here's why...
    Experienced forum member 2 - let it go periodic. Here's why...
    Experienced forum member 3...
    25-01-2022, 12:52 PM
  • What to do at the end of an AST period?
    by jtufty
    Hi,

I rent a property. The initial 6 months of the AST ends in Jan 2022. The tenant is very nice and she asked yesterday if she can stay on for another 6 months.

Is it a simple case of just giving her another AST contract to sign? Im sure it is, but wondered if theres anything...
    28-12-2021, 08:35 AM
  • Reply to Water Damage
    by DPT57
    I think I'd be on the phone every day to the Council insurers demanding an immediate inspection....
    25-01-2022, 12:47 PM
  • Reply to VAT @ 20% on energy bills charged on by letting agent ?
    by jpkeates
    That's not correct, and I think the agent has either misunderstood or the accountant has been misinformed about what the agent is doing.

And it's going to be costly to the agent.
    Output VAT is payable to the state, because it a tax.
    As the agent isn't actually adding any value...
    25-01-2022, 12:46 PM
Working...
X