Council Tax on empty property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Council Tax on empty property

The house which we used to live in was empty for 2 months before being rented. When I enquired about the Council Tax on this period I was informed that for an empty property there will be no Council Tax for the first 6-month. After the 6-months period the full amount is payable.

My question is:

Question one: Is this correct? I thought on an empty property it was rebated by 25%
    Question two: If this is correct then what will happen when the next period when the property is empty again? Will a new 6-months "no council tax" period be applied or will I have no council tac to paid for another 4-months only?

Thanks in advance

If it was empty and unfurnished, I thought it was 3 months. If it was uninhabitable and being restored, I thought it was 6 months. If it was empty but furnished, you only get a 10% deduction. I will check my council rules and come back to you.
    ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

Originally posted by steveandbee View Post
      The house which we used to live in was empty for 2 months before being rented. When I enquired about the Council Tax on this period I was informed that for an empty property there will be no Council Tax for the first 6-month. After the 6-months period the full amount is payable.

My question is:

Question one: Is this correct? I thought on an empty property it was rebated by 25%
      Question two: If this is correct then what will happen when the next period when the property is empty again? Will a new 6-months "no council tax" period be applied or will I have no council tac to paid for another 4-months only?

Thanks in advance
      1. You are confusing two points. Empty property carries no CT for first six months. Property with only one adult in occupation carries 75% of full CT (ie sole occupant gets 25% discount).
      2. The six-month rule is property-based, not person-based. Only one six-month period is available per property.
      BUT there are other disregards too. For example:
      a. exempt dwellings, as set out in Statutory Instruments;
      b. dwelling of now-deceased owner during period of obtaining Grant of Probate etc.; and
      c. students.
      Finally, the person liable to pay CT is defined in s.6 of Local Government Act 1992 as amended. Even tenants can be liable, despite what you might have been told to the contrary, depending on whether anyone outranks them in descending order of liability set out there.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Got it.

Class A: Empty and unfurnished and that need major repairs or are being repaired so they can be lived in will be exempt for up to 12 months.

Class C: Empty and unfurnished properties will be exempt for up to six months from the date they were last lived in.

from 1 April 2004, 90% council tax is payable on second homes which is furnished.

From my own experience, the council form that I fill out between tenancies does not ask the question how many times I have asked for the exemption. I don't think there is any limit, as the council knows we have void periods between tenancies.

Comment

Originally posted by Paragon View Post
          from 1 April 2004, 90% council tax is payable on second homes which is furnished.
          Not all local authorities have implemented the allowed change in regulations. In my area, one has and the other has not.

Round our way an empty 3 bedroom at 90% cost a LL over £110 a month in council tax. Thus there has been a definite trend towards unfurnished.

Alternatively, I know of some landlords of furnished properties registering themselves as sole occupant "living there for security against squatters" thus saving themselves 15% a month.
          On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Because of the number of posts I have done, I am now a Senior Member. However, read anything I write with the above in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Esio Trot View Post
            Not all local authorities have implemented the allowed change in regulations. In my area, one has and the other has not.<snip>
            That is indeed the situation - local authorities do seem to vary.

Steveandbee has quite correctly checked with the Council involved and it is best to record the date and time of this advice in the event of there being any future dispute.
            Vic - wicked landlord
            Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
            Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Originally posted by Esio Trot View Post
              Not all local authorities have implemented the allowed change in regulations. In my area, one has and the other has not.

Round our way an empty 3 bedroom at 90% cost a LL over £110 a month in council tax. Thus there has been a definite trend towards unfurnished.

Alternatively, I know of some landlords of furnished properties registering themselves as sole occupant "living there for security against squatters" thus saving themselves 15% a month.
              Interesting. I didn't realize that the 90% on furnished properties was optional and at the discretion of individual councils. Mine used to be furnished, but not any more - but the garage is getting full.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Whos responsible for slow draining bathroom sink and black grout? Landlord or Tenant?
                Bounce
                Hi

I was wondering if anybody could help me and tell me who could be responsible Landlord or Tenant?

One of my properties, the tenant has been in there about 2 years and normally has always called me direct for any little problem.

I then went through months where...
                Black Grout they want me to get redone...
                17-01-2018, 21:53 PM
              • Reply to Whos responsible for slow draining bathroom sink and black grout? Landlord or Tenant?
                Bounce
                In regards to this, I attended the property today with a plumber, as he tenants claimed they had tried using some sink unblocker and plunger etc...

When we were shown the sink she now decides to tell us that since using the sink unblocker it doesn't seem to bad (she could have told me this...
                19-01-2018, 23:13 PM
              • Joint tenancy - end fixed term
                Nottinverno
                Hello,

need some advice, please, I'm getting mad at this.

I have a joint tenancy, renting a flat through an agency with other 2 people, ending end January.
                I have decided to move out and I gave my notice (to both the agency and my flatmates) last end November, however...
                09-01-2018, 14:29 PM
              • Reply to Joint tenancy - end fixed term
                KTC
                Ask the solicitor for their interpretation of section 5(5)(b) of the Housing Act 1988 regarding giving a notice to quit on the first day of the statutory periodic tenancy.
                19-01-2018, 22:54 PM
              • Reply to Joint tenancy - end fixed term
                Nottinverno
                Oh nono, I have to leave at the end of Feb. I have already moved forward my move and luckily the new landlord is flexible, but I can't stay other 2 months in my current place.
                It really seems that as soon as the periodic roll starts I can serve 1 month notice, so by end Feb I should be able to...
                19-01-2018, 22:48 PM
              • Payment Break
                OlliesDad
                I have a great long-term tenant who, along with her husband and daughter has been with me for nearly 5 years. Unfortunately the husband has done the dirty and left leaving her with nothing but debts. Her finances are in a mess and she has said she may need to move in with family whilst she sorts herself...
                18-01-2018, 21:27 PM
              • Reply to Payment Break
                royw
                You have a good tenant and if it were me I'd be looking for ways to keep her rather than evict her. Might be worth having a chat and find out how much she can afford now and in the long-term. If she can afford it on her own once the debts are cleared possibly offer her a reduced rent for a year equivalent...
                19-01-2018, 22:26 PM
              • Tenants not vacated at check-out
                tatemono
                Had a lovely young couple with a baby in our property for about 8 months, they gave notice to leave as he'd moved out after they split up and she couldn't afford rent. Sad situation for them. Property has been on market since.

Anyway, yesterday our very competent and well-trusted long-standing...
                09-01-2018, 08:58 AM
              • Reply to Tenants not vacated at check-out
                KTC
                If it were a notice to quit given during a periodic tenancy, as opposed to an agreement with the landlord during the fixed term, then tenancy has ended. Validity of a notice to quit does not depend on whether the tenant follow up and acting in accordance to it. A notice to quit is not a notice of intention....
                19-01-2018, 22:20 PM
              • Reply to Tenants not vacated at check-out
                buzzard1994
                But the notice wasn't valid because the tenant did not give up possession. The notice is an intention to end the tenancy but the tenant remains in possession so they did not end the tenancy. If it was the end of a fixed term that would be different....
                19-01-2018, 22:06 PM
              Working...
              X