Electric meters (pound coin one)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric meters (pound coin one)

are there any rules on settings?? im wondering if im being over charged, on average im putting in 2-5 a day, ive just had the meter changed and seem to be putting more in, so is there rules on unit charges, ???

The landlord should be charging you no more than he is being charged.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
      The landlord should be charging you no more than he is being charged.
      See The maximum resale price. There's much guidance on this. It depends upon your consumption, do you know the rate per unit that you're paying at present?
      [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

on my meter is says just over 7.5

my partner whos in the same building, hes doesnt say.. he has a rate button on it a or b.. his is set to b. hes put 31 quid through his meter in 10 days.. hes running bugger all i run a fish tank, and have a shower, he has a oil filled raditor on low 24/7 plus a fridge ..

Comment

Originally posted by jd1977 View Post
          "Just over"? That's a strange rate. What does it actually say?
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

thats it theres a scale and it sits just over 7.5 the next reading is 8.

Comment

So you are charged 7.5 pence per KWH? That's very cheap.

Comment

I think on these meters the scale is often "units per coin" so ~8 stands for 8 units per pound or ~12.5p per unit (I suppose 1 unit is 1 kWh)

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
                  I think on these meters the scale is often "units per coin" so ~8 stands for 8 units per pound or ~12.5p per unit (I suppose 1 unit is 1 kWh)
                  That sounds more like the "normal" rate.

Comment

I have two tariffs on my bill, no standing charge. How do I calculate the setting on my meter please? The first 138kwh are at 26.03p and after that at 11.36p. If I add the two tariffs together for an average the tenant is going to get less units for their £. I did not collect enough money to cover the bill last time but I do want to get it right. Pat

Comment

you seem to have a tariff with a primary rate / follow on rate system. Ideally you would have to weight it by the units the tenant consumes in each category. Difficult to get exactly right but you can guess based on the actuals. Bear in mind that it normally comes with shaping of the primary rate units, i.e. thy are not the same every month.
                      All views posted reflect my personal opinion only and do not constitute professional advice which I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to provide.

Comment

You can't get it right because the effective cost per kWh depends on consumption, so you only knows it at the end of the billing period.
                        The only thing you can do is set the rate to a reasonable value based on past consumption and either refund the tenant for over payments or ask him to top up.

Comment

Originally posted by jd1977 View Post

my partner whos in the same building, hes doesnt say.. he has a rate button on it a or b.. his is set to b. hes put 31 quid through his meter in 10 days.. hes running bugger all i run a fish tank, and have a shower, he has a oil filled raditor on low 24/7 plus a fridge ..
                          Currently I'm running one 1kW heater on approx 12 hours a day to heat my house

That's costing me 12 pounds a week on a standard credit meter.

Heating a house (even a sdmall one) using leccy is expensive!

Comment

Thank you for your replies. You have confirmed what I thought - that it's a guessing game! I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a better way. It's more complicated for my tenants as the house is in 4 flats sothey should each be paying the first 34.5 units at the higher rate to be fair (not the whole 138). I do occasionally ask the company who supplied the meters for a setting but his replies have also seemed to be a bit of a guess as he doesn't know how much I pay per unit. I've had this set up for a long time and it's only since the electricity has become more expensive and goes up constantly that it has become a worry. (Please don't suggest separate supplies to each flat as I do not want the expense or upheaval.:
                            Thanks, Pat

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X