Right old Mess

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Right old Mess

    As a letting agent I have an unusual situation.
    In Nov 06 a tenant moves into a property we manage The tenancy agreement is for one man one women to live in this property.
    Last week the man on the tenancy agreement approached us to say that his relationship had broken down & he wanted to move his new partner into this property along with the old partner. He informed us at the time that all people living in the property were happy with this agreement. We now find that old partner is not happy with situation and that we have somewhat let her down. What action do we now need to follow. 1 how do we protect all people living in this property. 2 how do we protect the landlords interest.
    Have any people out there come across this situation before?????????????

    As you know, a tenant may allow any number of guests to stay in the property he rents as it is "his" property of which he is entitled to "quiet enjoyment". Thus there is very little that you can do and you will have to let the tenant sort it out with his guests/lodgers. I wouldn't worry provided that the rent is being paid by the tenant and that your inspections show no unacceptable damage occurring. Of course, your client may not be happy with the situation under which circumstances a s21 notice could be served to take effect as near to the end of the fixed period as possible.

    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.


      To answer your points,

      1. You have no responsibility towards the people in the house, as you are purely the agent of the landlord.
      2. To protect your landlord's interest you should inform them of the situation, as he might well feel that he has some responsibility towards his tenants. I agree with PP, the landlord may feel it best to serve a S21 on them.

      Alternatively, if the old partner, the original co-tenant, wants to leave and the new partner wants to be added or the remaining tenant wants to stay as sole tenant, that might be a solution.


      Latest Activity