Right old Mess

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Right old Mess

    As a letting agent I have an unusual situation.
    In Nov 06 a tenant moves into a property we manage The tenancy agreement is for one man one women to live in this property.
    Last week the man on the tenancy agreement approached us to say that his relationship had broken down & he wanted to move his new partner into this property along with the old partner. He informed us at the time that all people living in the property were happy with this agreement. We now find that old partner is not happy with situation and that we have somewhat let her down. What action do we now need to follow. 1 how do we protect all people living in this property. 2 how do we protect the landlords interest.
    Have any people out there come across this situation before?????????????

  • #2
    As you know, a tenant may allow any number of guests to stay in the property he rents as it is "his" property of which he is entitled to "quiet enjoyment". Thus there is very little that you can do and you will have to let the tenant sort it out with his guests/lodgers. I wouldn't worry provided that the rent is being paid by the tenant and that your inspections show no unacceptable damage occurring. Of course, your client may not be happy with the situation under which circumstances a s21 notice could be served to take effect as near to the end of the fixed period as possible.

    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.


    • #3
      To answer your points,

      1. You have no responsibility towards the people in the house, as you are purely the agent of the landlord.
      2. To protect your landlord's interest you should inform them of the situation, as he might well feel that he has some responsibility towards his tenants. I agree with PP, the landlord may feel it best to serve a S21 on them.

      Alternatively, if the old partner, the original co-tenant, wants to leave and the new partner wants to be added or the remaining tenant wants to stay as sole tenant, that might be a solution.


      Latest Activity


      • When do tenants' requests go too far?
        Tenants moved in at the beginning of the year and have issued a stream of requests/demands since then, the main ones being

        - After signing the contract but before moving in, requesting that I change the wallpaper in one room as they decided they didn't like the colour
        - Asking to...
        12-07-2017, 16:46 PM
      • Reply to When do tenants' requests go too far?
        If you trust the tenant I would allow them to decorate upon approval. To agreed specifications and at THEIR EXPENSE. This improves the property and keeps them happy. I have had this happen, new paint colour in lounge. More difficult in your case with a new tenant so I would have said wait and see....then...
        23-08-2017, 11:18 AM
      • Private letting advice
        My partner and I have recently moved into a private let with our 7 month old son.
        now the flat was in a right state when we moved in - bathroom hadn't been cleaned, kitchen was a mess, oven absolutely caked in grease from the previous tenant (it still is, I refuse to clean it so I'm just not...
        23-08-2017, 08:28 AM
      • Reply to Private letting advice
        Wannadonnadoodahl - a few of the issues were noticeable when we moved in, however the landlord reassured us they would be dealt with within a week or two, its now been 6 weeks

        JK0 - we aren't on any benefits, we both work and have been full rent of £150 a week, which feels like robbery...
        23-08-2017, 11:05 AM
      • Reply to Private letting advice
        Not sure if you have a gas cooker or not. Either way, please check that you have a valid Gas Safe certificate. You do not mention the boiler but given the other issues, I hope this is safe for you.
        You may wish to ask for a PAT on any electrical items.

        Not sure why you moved in given...
        23-08-2017, 11:02 AM
      • TT not leaving
        A friend of mine (LL) rents his property through an agent and has asked them to get the tenant out as he's coming back to live in it. The agent served a S21 notice which is due to expire soon (we'll check, but for the purposes of this post assume that everything has been served correctly and the notice...
        23-08-2017, 09:00 AM
      • Reply to TT not leaving
        Darth Wookie
        The tenant may be 'morally' in the wrong, but is legally in the right. They have no outright legal obligation to leave at the end of the tenancy agreement, which can only be truly ended by the court. In essence, the court are the 'adjudicators' of the contract and decide whether to enforce it or not....
        23-08-2017, 09:43 AM
      • Reply to TT not leaving
        The current tenancy continues until the landlord has recovered possession (or the tenant serves notice) so there's no danger of a new one coming into being accidentally .

        The tenant is awarded costs if they lose, which is pretty standard in legal cases. If the landlord loses the case, the...
        23-08-2017, 09:38 AM
      • Reply to TT not leaving
        Ok, thanks. This seems to imply that the tenant is in the wrong by not leaving then.

        The notice might as well say, "you don't have to leave when this notice expires, but you'll have a large legal bill if you don't."

        Thanks again.

        Is this...
        23-08-2017, 09:19 AM
      • Reply to TT not leaving
        The landlord can carry on accepting rent, which is due until the tenancy ends.

        The tenant has every right to stay, as the landlord's notice doesn't actually end the tenancy. To bring the tenancy to an end, the landlord will need to go to court. If the landlord is successful, the tenant...
        23-08-2017, 09:12 AM