How long should I wait until aproaching new landlord regarding boiler problems.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long should I wait until aproaching new landlord regarding boiler problems.

Hi All. This is my situation

1) 8 months ago boiler cut out . Plumber removed the bottom of the boiler (which says "danger do not remove, risk of electric shock) and told me for a temporary measure to put my hand inside the boiler to ignite it!

2) After 5 months of the boiler cutting out at least once a day and no news from the landlord I e-mailed and politely asked if they could repair the boiler as I feel it is dangerous to be puting my hand inside it.

3) landlord denied any knowledge of the problem but said he would contact the plumber

4) landlord gets back to me stating he is selling the property at auction.

5) lots of people view the property , man from auction house explains that they should all be budgeting for a new boiler due to the danger.

6) As of the 07/12/12 I have a new landlord.

So . How long should I wait before contacting them. I do not know if they are aware of the problem. If I get barbecued I assume this would be an issue for them as well as me.

I'm tempted next time the boiler cuts out to just leave it and refuse to put my hand inside it.

sorry for the length of the post. Your help is appreciated as always.

You should have a gas safety certificate that has been signed off by a registered plumber within the last year (they are only valid for 12 months).

If you do not have this then your landlord is in breach of contract.

Either way the boiler is not your problem but the landlords. Call him immediately, tell him what is wrong and ask him to send a plumber over to fix it. Also ask him for a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate.

Comment

Hi. There is a gas safety certificate which was issued by the plumber who removed the bottom panel.

I contacted the Gas Safe register who advised that the risk is electrical so not covered by gas safety.

Comment

Contact the new landlord immediately.

Tell him that the problem has been ongoing for months, and if it isn't resolved within 14 days, you will ask an officer of the enviromental health office to come and inspect it.
        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by essexlandlord View Post
          How long should I wait before contacting them. I do not know if they are aware of the problem.
          You should not wait at all.

All disrepair should be reported immediately, ideally in writing, and if you report by phone, then follow up with an email or letter confirming the contents of the call.

Comment

Thank you everyone. Letter has been posted.

Comment

Hi everyone.

I wrote to new landlord politely asking that the boiler was looked at.

Landlord arrived on the 19/01/13 and said he had no idea about the problems as he had bought at auction. He said he would send his electrician round. I haven't heard anything since.

I'd be really grateful for some advice for next steps.

I think after 8 months I've been pushing my luck reigniting the boiler. Is it unreasonable of me to refuse to turn it back on if I have a genuine fear for my safety? Would it help if I uploaded some photos to get an idea if you would be happy with the boiler in one of your properties?

Thanks as always.

Comment

Contact the landlord to ask him when his electrician will be coming around?
                Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

I contacted the Gas Safe register who advised that the risk is electrical so not covered by gas safety.
                  I think the Gas Safe Register people are priceless.

Comment

contacted landlord. lots of apologies and I'm confident this will soon be sorted. Thank you all again for your help.

Comment

Write him a letter stating that if the electrician has not been by Friday 1st Feb 2013, you will be approaching the Enviromaental health Dept of the council for them to come and inspect the property.

It's easier for us on the forum, if you state facts. You said
                      I haven't heard anything since.
                      When you had.
                      lots of apologies and I'm confident this will soon be sorted.

Comment

I posted that after you advised to phone him

Comment

I posted that after you advised to phone him
                          I know.

At 10.32 you said you have heard nothing.
                          At 11.16 you said you had.

You should have said "I have heard nothing from the electrician", and when I spoke to the landlord, he apologised.
                          I would have then told you to do what I did in post #11.

The devil is in the detail.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• When do tenants' requests go too far?
                            Suzy76
                            Tenants moved in at the beginning of the year and have issued a stream of requests/demands since then, the main ones being

- After signing the contract but before moving in, requesting that I change the wallpaper in one room as they decided they didn't like the colour
                            - Asking to...
                            12-07-2017, 16:46 PM
                          • Reply to When do tenants' requests go too far?
                            Landlord1206
                            If you trust the tenant I would allow them to decorate upon approval. To agreed specifications and at THEIR EXPENSE. This improves the property and keeps them happy. I have had this happen, new paint colour in lounge. More difficult in your case with a new tenant so I would have said wait and see....then...
                            23-08-2017, 11:18 AM
                          • Private letting advice
                            xNicolex
                            My partner and I have recently moved into a private let with our 7 month old son.
                            now the flat was in a right state when we moved in - bathroom hadn't been cleaned, kitchen was a mess, oven absolutely caked in grease from the previous tenant (it still is, I refuse to clean it so I'm just not...
                            23-08-2017, 08:28 AM
                          • Reply to Private letting advice
                            xNicolex
                            Wannadonnadoodahl - a few of the issues were noticeable when we moved in, however the landlord reassured us they would be dealt with within a week or two, its now been 6 weeks

JK0 - we aren't on any benefits, we both work and have been full rent of £150 a week, which feels like robbery...
                            23-08-2017, 11:05 AM
                          • Reply to Private letting advice
                            Landlord1206
                            Not sure if you have a gas cooker or not. Either way, please check that you have a valid Gas Safe certificate. You do not mention the boiler but given the other issues, I hope this is safe for you.
                            You may wish to ask for a PAT on any electrical items.

Not sure why you moved in given...
                            23-08-2017, 11:02 AM
                          • TT not leaving
                            johnson13
                            A friend of mine (LL) rents his property through an agent and has asked them to get the tenant out as he's coming back to live in it. The agent served a S21 notice which is due to expire soon (we'll check, but for the purposes of this post assume that everything has been served correctly and the notice...
                            23-08-2017, 09:00 AM
                          • Reply to TT not leaving
                            Darth Wookie
                            The tenant may be 'morally' in the wrong, but is legally in the right. They have no outright legal obligation to leave at the end of the tenancy agreement, which can only be truly ended by the court. In essence, the court are the 'adjudicators' of the contract and decide whether to enforce it or not....
                            23-08-2017, 09:43 AM
                            jpkeates
                            The current tenancy continues until the landlord has recovered possession (or the tenant serves notice) so there's no danger of a new one coming into being accidentally .

The tenant is awarded costs if they lose, which is pretty standard in legal cases. If the landlord loses the case, the...
                            23-08-2017, 09:38 AM
                            johnson13
                            Ok, thanks. This seems to imply that the tenant is in the wrong by not leaving then.

The notice might as well say, "you don't have to leave when this notice expires, but you'll have a large legal bill if you don't."

Thanks again.

Is this...
                            23-08-2017, 09:19 AM
                            jpkeates
                            The landlord can carry on accepting rent, which is due until the tenancy ends.

The tenant has every right to stay, as the landlord's notice doesn't actually end the tenancy. To bring the tenancy to an end, the landlord will need to go to court. If the landlord is successful, the tenant...
                            23-08-2017, 09:12 AM
                          Working...
                          X