Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant can't continue with tenancy!!

Hi
    My tenant has completed 3 months of a 12 month tenancy and states he can no longer continue with the tenancy from March as he has to go into hospital. I have already paid the LA a fee for finding this tenant and he has paid a security deposit.
    My last tenant only completed a 3 month tenancy because of personal circumstances and I don't feel very gracious just letting another tenant do the same for whatever reason.

Any advise greatly appreciated.

You dont have to agree to anything. Obviously, if you are unlikely to recover the rent owed, you might be better off agreeing to something that replaces the tenant and does not leave you out of pocket. Suggest he pays a surrender fee that can include reletting fees, some rent buffer, etc.
    All views posted reflect my personal opinion only and do not constitute professional advice which I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to provide.

Comment

What does the hospital visit have to do with his ability to pay rent?
      I suggest that you get guarantors in future.
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

I do sympathise with his predictament,but you can't simply stop paying a contractual obligation because you will not be using the property I doubt a mortgage provider would let you stop paying a mortgage under these circumstances.

He is a professional worker, so I don't think recovering the rent would be a huge problem (although a hassle).

Comment

Originally posted by conchita 63 View Post
          My tenant has completed 3 months of a 12 month tenancy and states he can no longer continue with the tenancy from March as he has to go into hospital.
          The T is offering to surrender the tenancy. You are free to choose to accept or refuse.

If you refuse, then even if the T moves out, you may treat the tenancy as continuing, and pursue the T for rent for the remainder of the fixed term, as it falls due. (Of course, you could not re-let the property if you take this route).

If you accept, then, as MSaxp indicates, you may make your acceptance conditional upon the T paying you a lump sum, perhaps equivalent to two months' rent, or whatever amount will ensure that you're not left out of pocket. When the T has paid and moved out, you then both sign a Deed of Surrender.

(You ought to be able to get a refund of commission paid to the agent, read your agency contract - if it's not refundable then next time ensure that it *is* refundable pro-rata when a tenancy ends early).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X