Right to stay but right to entertain???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right to stay but right to entertain???

Hello,

I am currently stuck with a very malicious tenant. She has stayed beyond her 6 month contract and we are currently using the notice of intended possession to get her out. Her contract had expired and she had been given more than one-month notice.

I understand that we cannot do anything else to get her out but exactly what are the tenant’s rights concerning guests. Can she entertain guests in her room? She rents out the room in a house share. Exactly under what conditions can we actually do anything else other than sit on our hands? What if she torched her room caused wilful damage etc what then.?

What if she had guests over and cause disturbance to the neighbourhood, or to the other tenants?

Many thanks

GTI

You can do nothing in any of these circumstances other than continue with the existing eviction. Tenants are allowed guests.

As a point of note, you realise that 1 months notice is insufficient?
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

On the face of your post, I agree with Mr Shed, but it may help members further if you can clarify the kind of agreement you have with her; and that you are/or are not a residential landlord.

Here are some more comments
      Originally posted by gti_driver368 View Post
      Hello,

I am currently stuck with a very malicious tenant. She has stayed beyond her 6 month contract and we are currently using the notice of intended possession to get her out. Her contract had expired and she had been given more than one-month notice. If she is an assured shorthold tenant, you will need to issue a section 21 notice, which requires a minimum of 2 months notice, expiring after the end of the tenancy period. Search forum for more details.
      I understand that we cannot do anything else to get her out but exactly what are the tenant’s rights concerning guests. Can she entertain guests in her room? She has a right to quiet enjoyment; this includes a social life. If she were a lodger in your home; you can make up your own rules She rents out the room in a house share. Exactly under what conditions can we actually do anything else other than sit on our hands? What if she torched her room caused wilful damage etc what then.?This would be a breach of the agreement, but by seeking possession, this is the best you can do. If you think her behaviour is a risk to other tenants, call the police for advice. You would deduct damages from her deposit. If no deposit, you would persue her in the small claims court, but you will need evidence; usually a schedule of condition, before the tenant started

What if she had guests over and cause disturbance to the neighbourhood, or to the other tenants? She is responsible for the behaviour of guests, any wrong doing would be a breach of the agreement, but by seeking possession, this is the best you can do. Noise issues; call Environmental Health

Many thanks

GTI
      All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Originally posted by gti_driver368 View Post
        Can she entertain guests in her room? She rents out the room in a house share.
        I don't understand this, please clarify, you first say she entertains guests in her room and then go on to say she rents out the room in a house share. Is she a lodger or a tenant with an AST?

Comment

Originally posted by MrWoof View Post
          I don't understand this, please clarify, you first say she entertains guests in her room and then go on to say she rents out the room in a house share. Is she a lodger or a tenant with an AST?
          Is the "entertaining guests in her room" a euphemism for, er, short-stay remunerated horizontal mutual activity entertainment? If so, use g12 and g14 on a section 8 Notice too- illegal or immoral use is breach of Tenancy Agreement.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
            Is the "entertaining guests in her room" a euphemism for, er, short-stay remunerated horizontal mutual activity entertainment? If so, use g12 and g14 on a section 8 Notice too- illegal or immoral use is breach of Tenancy Agreement.
            But who would gather the evidence of immoral use?

No doubt a punter would be found without difficulty, but would the lass be willing to give a receipt for the money?
            On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Because of the number of posts I have done, I am now a Senior Member. However, read anything I write with the above in mind.

Comment

JUSTICE & LAW..what a paradox

She has a tenancy agreement.
              She has the personal use of one room in a house. There are four other rooms in the house, each of which is rented out to individuals. They share the bathroom, kitchen and garden.

-she has caused the other tenants grief and aggravation.
              -she regularly stubbles in at 4am drunk, bangs on the room doors and insults the other tenants
              -she has late night visitors, after 11.
              -she has cause damage to the premises, damaging property
              -her room is very untidy and a fire hazard.
              -she has not paid her share of the utility bills and she has stayed beyond the end of her contract.
              -also she has made threats, such as 'you'll be sorry'

And even after all the numerous visits from the police we are always told that we can not do anything except go through this ridiculous law system, which is so biased to the tenant it a farce.

So anyway the landlord has cut the electricity supply to her room.
              We have also tried to be 'nice' and offered her money to get out but she won’t accept even that.

Tell me in all honesty, when someone (the landlord) works hard all there life to get another property only to be in this situation and never see an ounce of justice, where is the justice? JUSTICE, not the law for there is no justice in that at all.

Anyways I wanted to get that off my chest but the question I would like to have answered is... is it illegal to cut the power and heating to her room only?

Comment

Answer: yes, definitely. Harassment is a criminal offence.
                If you want catharsis, get the video of PACIFIC HEIGHTS. It's a USA film, starring Michael Keaton, whose tenant is even worse than yours.
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

is it illegal in the UK ????

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                    pdmalik
                    Hello,

There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
                    23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
                  • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                    wfd_property
                    So you are wanting to act as the owners agent, submit the outline planning agreement, represent the property at the national auction?

Surely he simply signs to confirm agreed disbursements and your commission percentage?

Are you able to say which university city this is?...
                    24-07-2017, 22:25 PM
                  • Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                    Manchesterlandlord
                    hi there

had tenants in a property for 4 years. Looking at selling the property for various reasons and they are interested in buying but need more time to get a deposit together. Has anyone ever set up a deal like the rent to buy schemes you used to get with new builds?

t...
                    24-07-2017, 19:54 PM
                  • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                    wfd_property
                    Do they have a mortgage in principle? Will they show you bank statements / letters from parents to confirm that deposit is almost there?...
                    24-07-2017, 22:21 PM
                    KTC
                    "More time" - days, weeks, months, years?

Can you wait that time? How long would it take you to evict to sell with vacant possession? How much of a possible hit would you need to take to sell with tenant in place?
                    24-07-2017, 21:44 PM
                  • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                    Jcg76
                    I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                    Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                    24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                    nukecad
                    At the moment you they pay rent and it's your property.

With rent-to-buy you are proposing that they agree, in principle, to buy the property off you after a certain time for a price agreed now.
                    And at the end of that time they can still walk away without buying.

In the...
                    24-07-2017, 20:56 PM
                    jpkeates
                    Just rent to them while they buy it and sell it to them as though they weren't tenants.
                    Anything else is fraught.

When the sale completes, they'll be their own landlord - so the lease will be academic.
                    Give them the deposit back and you're done....
                    24-07-2017, 20:28 PM
                  • Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                    JP23
                    Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
                    23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
                  • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                    jpkeates
                    Unless the OP comes back to confirm whether the charge was pre-agreed and now regretted or simply sprung on them, we're a bit stuck.
                    24-07-2017, 19:48 PM
                  Working...
                  X