Noise complaints from neighbours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise complaints from neighbours

One of my tenants is a musician and I am receiving complaints from a neighbour with two young children that they are being disturbed by him playing late at night.

The property is a first floor flat in a block of 8 terraced properties.

Tenant denies he plays late but pointed out he is continually disturbed by shouting and arguing from downstairs and a screaming baby but accepts that noise from both properties travels easily and wouldn't dream of complaining!

The situation is not aided by the fact that the neighbour is aggressive and verbally abusive to both the tenant and me and has taken to calling me at all hours of the night to make his point and that if I don't evict the tenant he will continue to do this. (note mistake: never give out your number to a neighbour).

I have written to the nieghbour stating this is unacceptable and that whilst I will continue to try to sort things out he can only contact me during working hours.

Despite my attempts to sort it amicably they are both equally determined to prove the other wrong.

I haven't received complaints from any of the other nieghbours and in every other respect my tenant is well behaved.

Any thoughts folks?

Tell the neighbour to report it to Environmental health if he is that bothered. You cannot evict your tenant without proof from an EHO that he is making excessive noise! (You can but the neighbour wont know that!)

My sister is living next door to a couple who make malicious complaints so I can see where your tenant is coming from!

If the guy continues to harrass you take the letter you have written to the police regarding contact within office hours only and make a complaint.
    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

The local authority recently became involved at my request and has spoken to them both without a resolution as yet. Early days I suppose - do you think I should just sit back an let them get on with it, safe in the knowledge I have acted as a socially responsible LL?

Comment

Agree with JSA - if the neighbour carries out his threat about keeping contacting you, then both you and the tenant(IMO) have potential claims for harrassment against him. Sounds like quite a malicious person! Presumably your tenant has said that he will stop playing late nights?
        Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

The tenant is saying he doesn't play late at night.

However, despite finding the neighbours behaviour unacceptable I can't help thinking that my tenant has become slightly miffed and decided to let the neighbour know what its really like being disturbed. And so it goes on.

Comment

It sounds to me, Rebecca like you are becoming some sort of referee against your will. You obviously can't bang their heads together, but maybe tell the neighbour that you will look at any complaint he has so long as he puts it in writing to you. You could also reiterate that any verbal abuse or threats to you will be taken seriously and straight to the police.

Comment

Just a thought, Rebecca, would it be worth chatting to any of the other neighbours to see if they have any problems with your tenant's music playing?

Comment

Is it possible that the LL has done what is required of him, in that, he has investigated the complaint? Is it possible that he can now reasonably write to both parties and explain to them that it is now their own responsibility to sort the problem out, and, if need be, to have a court session with a third party to determine the next course of action?
                ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

Originally posted by DianeB View Post
                  Just a thought, Rebecca, would it be worth chatting to any of the other neighbours to see if they have any problems with your tenant's music playing?

The responsibility for obtaining this evidence rests with the tenant providing the necessary information and details to the Environmental Health Department.

What is needed is evidence of the alleged noise nuisance and it is in my opinion inappropriate for the landlord to accept at face value hearsay information as evidence.

Best the leave the matter between the tenants and the Environmental Health Department.

This proposed course of action puts the landlord in the position of an amateur social worker. I would suggest the professional landlord approach should be to ensure that the matter is dealt with officially and legally - and that must be through the Environmental Health Department.

At the end of the day stirring up the other tenants could backfire if the landlord cannot do anything.
                  Vic - wicked landlord
                  Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
                  Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Good point, Worldlife!

Comment

noise complaints

Hi all,

I had a situation recently where my tenants were complaining to me regarding the house next door to them being noisy. They asked me to sort this (the tenants wanted to remain anonomous) so i contacted the enviromental health and explianed that i was the LL and would like to sort this. They told me that as i was not living there and that as i was not actually suffering the noise i was powerless to actually do anything apart from getting the process started and enviromental health wrote to both parties, my tenants were asked to keep a diary of events and times etc.. I am not now able to do any more as it is up to them to sort it with enviromental health.

Chris.

Comment

Ask your tenant to request noise recording equipment from your local council and that will determine what time this guy plays his music. If found guilty, he could be served with a noise abatement notice.

Comment

Just curious - what sort of musician he/she is and what instrument(s) does he/she play.

I have a piano - and used to be really good many moons ago - but now only play occasionally for fun.

Sometimes I've lived in places where people loved me playing - other places -even if it was only during the day at weekends - neighbours complained.

Ironically though, the places that complained - used to play their CDs - not such good music to my ears - really loud - long before I started to play (I always spend a month in a place before attempting to play - just to understand the noise around me).

Tended to be - people who loved classical music - were happy for me to play whenever I wanted - and my current neighbours love hearing it although they profess to know nothing about classical music.

Also been in a place where they complained about my piano playing but would play their electric guitars really badly after coming home from the pub! Particularly on a Saturday night at 3am!

Thinking about it in these terms may help you assess whether or not it could be someone being malicious - or someone who doesn't appreciate music of a certain type.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, this has been incredibly helpful.

I had thought about speaking to some of the other neighbours but think this may be stirring up a hornets nest. Agree with Worldlife the best approach is to ensure the matter is dealt with officially and legally.

I have kept a log of all calls, letters and discussions and after receiving another call this weekend plan to discuss it again with the Local Authority then write to both tenant and neighbour advising them that further noise complaints should be made directly to them.

thanks again!

Comment

Heather -just seen you reply.

My tenant plays the banjo! Apparantly very well, as the neighbour sometimes finds it difficult to decide if its him or a CD.

To be honest though, before he complained about the music he complained on the day my tenant moved in and said he had been drilling and hammering till late at night. His solution was to go banging on the door shouting abuse. How to make friends and influence people, eh!

Understandably, my tenant told him not to come back and from then the neighbour has seen me as some kind of public service everytime he feels disturbed. What he fails to accept is that noise carries in both directions and there are 4 of them making it compared to my one tenant.

Sorry, for the rant...... I would love to have someone next door playing the piano!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                                MrShed
                                I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                                20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
                              • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                                jpkeates
                                Principle 8 - and probably Principle 7 (data is automatically replicated onto insecure devices).

Amazon allows users to control where their data is stored.
                                Apple, Microsoft, Dropbox and Google do for their business offerings but not for their personal products.

This sounds...
                                21-07-2017, 14:39 PM
                              • Renting a flat to a company
                                Raiden328i
                                In the small block were I live the guy below me in the shop me and my wife rent to him wants one of the flats next door which is now empty. He says he wants to stick his workers in it and I am just wondering how it works or if you can do it seeing as you have to register the deposit etc?
                                21-07-2017, 14:02 PM
                              • Reply to Renting a flat to a company
                                MrShed
                                *** UNHELPFUL POST ALERT ***

I've lost track of the number of times I've seen on this forum posts like this. Why would you consider going into business with someone who you dont trust due to previous issues? Walk away.

To answer slightly mroe definitively, you cant have a tenancy...
                                21-07-2017, 14:19 PM
                                jjlandlord
                                The ones I have mentioned all explicitly state that they are compliant with Privacy Shield.

I mean, as said and repeated, if you are a cloud data provider in the EU and a minimum serious then your service complies with EU law...

Beyond that, they cannot check and be responsible...
                                21-07-2017, 13:54 PM
                                jpkeates
                                The only popular (used by real people routinely) cloud supplier who claims compliance is Microsoft for Office 365 storage (since 2014).
                                None of the other suppliers, as far as I can find out, claim to be compliant - although it's fudged on most of their "help" pages.

I am...
                                A data storage strategy is important because digital storage media are inherently unreliable and all file formats and physical storage media will ultimately become obsolete.
                                21-07-2017, 13:44 PM
                                jjlandlord
                                Read my comments again... Thank you for your contribution to the thread.

Privacy Shield has only been mentioned in relation to compliance with current rules.

As said, I'm sure providers will update their operations to comply with the GDPR,...
                                21-07-2017, 13:33 PM
                                MrShed
                                I feel that GDPR is being misunderstood here (which is common).

Privacy Shield is one tick box (of many) towards GDPR compliance. It allows the "transfer" of data outside of the EU jurisdiction.

However, it doesnt (for example) address the needs for the Data Controller...
                                21-07-2017, 13:25 PM
                                tatemono
                                backblaze is one such "serious" provider... and yet it doesn't let you choose....
                                21-07-2017, 13:15 PM
                                jjlandlord
                                It currently allows to send data to the US legally. As said, if your provider either keeps the data in the EU or complies with Privacy Shield then there is no problem.

I have no doubt that storage providers will adapt to the GDPR so as to continue doing business legally in the EU. Landlords...
                                21-07-2017, 12:20 PM
                              Working...
                              X