how long does a section 21 last before it expires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how long does a section 21 last before it expires

A section 21 was issued to a tenant who was on a periodic but behind in rent. She has since paid arreas off in full so I agreed she could stay in property and remain on a periodic.

If for instance, sometime in the future the tenant again started to not pay rent, would the existing 21 notice be valid or would I have to issue another 21 notice.

Thanks in advance

Assuming it was validly served in the first place (e.g. gave at least two months' notice, was correctly worded and any deposit was protected and the prescribed info give to T), then no, there is no 'use by' date...you can apply for a court order for possession without having to issue a new s21.

However, if the s21 was served during the fixed term of the AST and the tenancy has since become periodic, you would (I think) have to re-issue it, as you'd need a s21 (4)(a) now, not the s21 (4)(b) which you originally served.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

If your Sec 21 was valid when served, it will remain valid unless another tenancy is granted.

Do not give the tenant anything in writing in regards to why you are not pursuing with the Sec 21.
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
        However, if the s21 was served during the fixed term of the AST and the tenancy has since become periodic, you would (I think) have to re-issue it, as you'd need a s21 (4)(a) now, not the s21 (1)(b) which you originally served.
        No. A valid notice served during the fixed term remains valid, regardless of the fixed term tenancy being replaced by a periodic tenancy.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
          No. A valid notice served during the fixed term remains valid, regardless of the fixed term tenancy being replaced by a periodic tenancy.
          Thanks for the correction.

Why have two different kinds of s21 at all, I wonder.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks for response.it was sereved correctly. It was served whilst on periodic to both named parties on ast.

Recently though i have been told her partner has left the property .split up. but I have not re-issued a new tenancy as I am confident the initial one remains valid, even though the partner has left.

Its in my interest not to issue a new ast then!!

Comment

Originally posted by megotbigears View Post
              A section 21 was issued to a tenant who was on a periodic but behind in rent. She has since paid arrears off in full so I agreed she could stay in property and remain on a periodic.
              A [valid] s.21 notice does not end the tenancy nor oblige the tenant to vacate, nor have any effect on the tenancy at all. It merely entitles you to apply for a possession order after the notice expires.

You cannot unilaterally end the tenancy other than by obtaining a court order for possession and getting a court bailiff to enforce it. In other words, you do not have the authority to agree or refuse to allow the T to stay on.

A [valid] s.21 notice remains actionable indefinitely unless you grant a new, replacement tenancy after having served it.

So, after having served a s.21 notice, it's a bad idea, generally, to say (or write) anything to a T along the lines of what you and your T 'agreed', because you risk undermining the notice served by giving the T a line of defence; it's not a major risk, but the rule is never say more than you have to.

Comment

Recently though i have been told her partner has left the property .split up. but I have not re-issued a new tenancy as I am confident the initial one remains valid, even though the partner has left.
                Did the partner/other joint tenant serve written notice to quit? If not, then the joint tenancy remains in place regardless of the partner having moved out.

Its in my interest not to issue a new ast then!!
                Why would you want to if the T is unreliable?

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                  Why have two different kinds of s21 at all, I wonder.
                  Section 21 is most mysterious in its ways. It seriously needs to be amended.

Comment

Thanks for response.it was sereved correctly. It was served whilst on periodic to both named parties on ast.
                    Was it expressed to expire "after" the last day of a period of the tenancy?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                      by jpkeates
                      I’d propose an increase in line with the contract term.
                      And don’t sign a new agreement, just let the current agreement roll into a periodic tenancy.
                      19-05-2022, 06:26 AM
                    • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                      by Renterthedragon
                      I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
                      18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
                    • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
                      by jpkeates
                      If you’ve paid them for a service they are refusing to provide, yes.

I’d start by invoicing the tenant company for the damage though.
                      You have two separate claims and it’s unlikely that the agent would bust a gut to do the job you want them to do....
                      19-05-2022, 06:22 AM
                    • Is my estate agent misleading me?
                      by abimsalabim
                      I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
                      18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
                    • Reply to Section 21 During Contract Period
                      by jpkeates
                      Correct. If your tenancy began on 9th December, they’re a day early.
                      I think you should check that again.

Note that the notice doesn’t bring the tenancy to an end, so you can issue your own notice after the fixed term ends, or simply leave before the end of the fixed term, if...
                      19-05-2022, 06:18 AM
                    • Section 21 During Contract Period
                      by matt001
                      Hello,

On 09.12.2021 I moved in to a flat and signed 6 months contract.
                      Then on 08.04.2022 I have been served section 21 notice by the letter trough the mailbox...

I have started reading about this and found in the web that agency cannot issue section 21 notice until...
                      18-05-2022, 13:31 PM
                    • Reply to Single parent renting
                      by Dct
                      I feel it's unfair to penalize single parent just because of receiving UC which is mainly used to pay childcare costs. She's no risk because she's on her own without that second income. I guess it's true there are fewer properties to rent and landlords can afford to be fussy. It's disheartening for...
                      19-05-2022, 05:31 AM
                    • Single parent renting
                      by Dct
                      A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                      18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
                    • Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                      by Hudson01
                      The quote you gave from the contract does not give a maximum %%, it just say '' in line '', that could mean it goes up a little or a lot..... it seems a bit vague. In the end if this property has become too expensive for you then in time you may have to move to somewhere cheaper (if they exist !!)....
                      19-05-2022, 04:58 AM
                    • Reply to Windows and front door smashed
                      by Hudson01
                      Do not let this get out of hand, increase the rent by the amount you say every year, and i would go for even more, have an honest conversation with the tenant, if she cannot afford it then it maybe time for her to move on, if you let it get too far behind then you will never catch up with this tenant.........
                      19-05-2022, 04:53 AM
                    Working...
                    X