X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which possession notice to use? Help Please

Hi all,

Would appreciate your advice on this.

My tenants moved in November 2012 on a 12 month contract. However past 2 months they have been messing about paying the rent on
    time. Although they have paid the rent for the month ahead they
    have never paid the full amount on the agreed date, there's
    always been one excuse or another so we are having to go down 2-3 times to collect the rent in bits and bobs

It seems that this will continue and we can't afford to keep
    covering our mortgage from our own money therefore can you please advise whether this is grounds for possession and if so which
    notice to use.

Many thanks in advance

Rubz

Before the 12 months are up, you can only go through the section 8 route. Requires 2 months unpaid rent. Late payment could be a reason for discretionary grounds, but not really worth the hassle. And not 2 months into the tenancy.
    All views posted reflect my personal opinion only and do not constitute professional advice which I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to provide.

Comment

Thanks MSaxp, appreciate the response and yes I will see how it goes going forward and take it from there!

Comment

It's really annoying to have to go and collect the rent in bits and bobs. Explain this to your T (nicely!) and provide them with a standing order form (you can make one up or get one from your bank). Fill in the amount they need to pay. Explain that you can't afford to pay your bills if they don't pay the rent and that you are struggling. Give them an up to date rent statement showing them how much they in arrears.

It is early days but IMO it's not a very good start.

Look up how to serve a section 8 and a section 21 and be ready to serve them should the situation continue. Make sure you've secured the deposit and given the prescribed info (very important that bit).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
          by Hudson01
          I can see that from a laymans point of view that is correct, but when you talk/deal with individuals who have attempted suicide it's simply not the case, if this was a genuine cause for concern and the Police forced entry they did it in the belief that his life was in danger, from himself probably....
          22-01-2022, 20:56 PM
        • Property damaged. Advice please
          by minorbark
          Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
          18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
        • Reply to Garage left filled with tenant's goods
          by theartfullodger
          When I bought a house in 2000 in the Highlands it came with a garage: Which had a car in it. Belonged to a neighbour, who used it to sleep in when he'd been in the pub too late & his wife locked him out. Took me 6 months to sort...
          22-01-2022, 18:51 PM
        • Garage left filled with tenant's goods
          by robbo2233
          Hi! Hoping the forum can advise me. We have a lock-up garage in a residential estate that had been let to an individual who ceased to pay monthly rental. Notice to quit was served by our letting agents Countrywide in October, and yet the tenant's goods still remain in situ. Agents have advised...
          20-01-2022, 21:31 PM
        • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
          by Lawcruncher
          The point here is though that the tenant's obligations under the tenancy cannot extend to repairing parts of the property which the landlord is under an obligation to repair.

Outside the tenancy, anyone, including a tenant, who damages property must meet the cost of repairing the damage....
          22-01-2022, 18:45 PM
        • Reply to Labour taxation plans
          by theartfullodger
          May I quote the Telegraph. on Sunak's kind gift of the highest tax burden for quite some time....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...tax-burden-70/
          22-01-2022, 18:10 PM
        • Labour taxation plans
          by steaming
          Rachel Reeves R4 this am told the interviewer that Labour (when in power) would raise money by taxing those with BTL property much more than at present, she opined it was wrong that “they” were “getting away with it”. No challenge from BBC or fact check as to present tax. You are warned.
          20-01-2022, 16:55 PM
          by SouthernDave
          The limited company system has been abused for too long by people trying to save on tax by claiming they are a company. I know loads of people of set themselves up as limted companies and have now been caught by IR35. They have spoiled it for those of us who have proper companies to rub who used to...
          22-01-2022, 17:55 PM
          by SouthernDave
          Agreed. Peoples care should not be down to those who work hard, to take from their labours. The levy is a joke and im disappointed in the conservatives for doing it.
          22-01-2022, 17:52 PM
        • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
          by SouthernDave
          I thought the main issue of taking a tenant on UC is not so much the fact they are receiving benefits, but the fact that its a pain in the proverbial to evict as the council tell them to sot tight until forced out by bailiffs....
          22-01-2022, 17:47 PM
        Working...
        X