LL not paid deposit in DPS.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LL not paid deposit in DPS.....

My brother lets a house and his having some issues with his LL over damp. The place need a damp proof but the guy is trying to blame him for it and has threatened not to return the deposit.

Now I'm a LL and the whole thing stinks to me but when I asked if he had got a confirmation letter from the DPS at the start of the tenancy and they didn't. So I'm assuming no deposit registered.

Am I right in thinking that my brother can counter claim in the event of him withholding deposit for 3 x the deposit?

Check the tenancy deposit services online to see whether the deposit is registered somewhere. Saves a little head banging later.

Originally posted by fridaypassion View Post
    Am I right in thinking that my brother can counter claim in the event of him withholding deposit for 3 x the deposit?
    YOur brother can counterclaim regardless of whether the deposit is withheld or not. He would have to go through the courts though. The court decide what level of compensation to award which could be 1 to 3x the deposit amount. Keep in mind the landlord can not evict him using Sec21 if the deposit is not protected.
    I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, solicitor or judge. It is simply my experience of being a landlord and what I have learnt along the way. I make no warranty for my opinion.

Comment

Your brothers claim would go through a special track of the courts as well which would require a solicitor, so additional costs.

Have you actually had a survey carried out and proof that there is a failure in the DPM? Where is the damp located? If it's a dpm failure then it will be very obvious, low level localised damp staining to lower walls etc.
      [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

The damp is damp the property doesnt have a damp course its a 100 year old terrace with none of the telltale drill holes (the two adjoining properties have these). I had rising damp in a property I bought and the marks on the walls are identical.

The LL at the moment has come up with the brilliant idea of supplying a heater to run in the room. I'm not sure what they think this will achieve but apparently his builder will come round to have a look "when the weather is warmer".

It looks to me like the LL has no intention of rectifying the issues and is fobbing my brother off. We have also confirmed the deposit is not registered.

At my suggestion they requested mutually ending the tenancy so that the LL can sort the house out and they can move out but this has been refused and the threat to take deposit re iterated by the LL (who blames the rising damp on cooking)

If the LL continues not to resolve the issues how should my brother proceed? They have 3 months left on the AST but they would like to vacate ASAP. In my opinion the house is borderline habitable at the moment as they only have one room which is damp free (the lounge).

Comment

If deposit is not protected and tenant suspect LL might try to unfairly withhold it, in practice the safer route is to withhold rent once planning to move so that when tenancy end owed rent equals deposit. Ie. LL is no longer holding any deposit...

Comment

OK there would be no comeback in terms of CCJs and whatever due to the LL not having the deposit registered?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
              Berlingogirl
              This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
              27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
            • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
              MrShed

I'm assuming you are posting this for a laugh
              27-07-2017, 14:22 PM
            • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
              nukecad
              I'm surprised that you are even asking, it's obviously some kind of scam.

At the very least phishing for your personal contact details.

"British America Business man" who can't spell 'American' or even write English properly? - "my personal assistance and he...
              27-07-2017, 14:11 PM
            • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
              Pb21
              Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
              25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
            • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
              John Duff
              Following on from my last post, had the tenant not informed the police and landlord at the time, they would have failed in their duty. I therefore would expect the tenant to foot the bill at the end of the tenancy or sooner.
              27-07-2017, 13:45 PM
            • Tenant's energy debt.
              Gordonmrln
              I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
              20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
            • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
              Gordonmrln
              Hi there, I've also been looking into the office of fair trading as nobody has said whether you believe that E.on or that LCS have acted is the correct manner when looking into a debt. well I have found out this piece of information and would like to know your thoughts and views if its correct and I'm...
              27-07-2017, 13:30 PM
              John Duff
              Criminal damage not connected with the tenant occurred during the tenancy and was reported as such at the time. It is not the case that the tenant caused or was responsible for loss of value beyond wear and tear.

I'm just stating my view which appears to be backed up from sources other...
              27-07-2017, 13:15 PM
              jpkeates
              If the tenancy ended and the lock was broken, it would be a loss in value beyond fair wear and tear and I'd expect the tenant to compensate the landlord for it.
              Same as any other damage.

What's different about it during the tenancy?
              27-07-2017, 13:03 PM
              John Duff
              Yes, they have a duty of care but not the same responsibilities as a lease/freeholder.

If I was the tenant, I'd refuse to pay. This is assuming I hadn't been grossly negligent and had reported the damage at the earliest opportunity to both the police and the landlord. I would expect a TDS...
              27-07-2017, 12:55 PM
            Working...
            X