First time landlord - just checking EVERYTHING and double checking again. Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time landlord - just checking EVERYTHING and double checking again. Help needed

So I need to make sure I have the following:

- Smoke Detectors - how many? Its a 1 bed maisonette.
    - Sets of keys - we have x 3. Do you as landlords keep a set - LA is managing the property for us.
    - Fire Extinguisher - do we need one?
    - Fire blanket - do we need one?
    - White goods to be PAT tested? Is it pat or pac.
    - Don't have gas so no gas certificate.
    - Instruction manuels for white goods and newly installed electric shower.
    - Its unfurnished so taking that won't add a complication?
    - We have an EPC - what do I do with that other than keep it safe?
    - Inform the tax office and fill in a self assessment for next tax year.
    - Sort out insurance. Have got landlord insurance ready to go with public liability insurance.

The link below is a guide for new landlords. Make sure that you have covered everything in the guide.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...2&postcount=12

Comment

Thanks very much :-)

Comment

The guide indicated above seems comprehensive.

I would only add that I would photocopy, laminate the instruction manuals and leave the copies in a ring binder for the tenant. Keep the originals at the office. Tenants invariably loose these and they can be a pain to replace, if you can replace them at all.

Lastly, welcome to our crazy world. It's fun but you pull your hair out sometimes.
        I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, solicitor or judge. It is simply my experience of being a landlord and what I have learnt along the way. I make no warranty for my opinion.

Comment

10 things a landlord needs:

1. A reliable supply of rubber gloves
          2. The ability to obliterate any sentimental attachments to the property they let out
          3. The constitution of an ox
          4. The patience of a saint
          5. Enough reserve funds to cover a three month void period if necessary
          6. A broad mind
          7. A sense of humour
          8. A secretarial instinct and a stock of stamped envelopes
          9. A basic grasp of human psychology
          10 A big plunger (and the ability to use it)
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

According to Money Saving Expert, the EPC has to be given to the tenant. I thought the law was just that you had to have one before letting?

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
              According to Money Saving Expert, the EPC has to be given to the tenant. I thought the law was just that you had to have one before letting?
              AFAIK there's no legal obligation to hand over the hard copy to the T, or even offer them the chance to inspect it unless they ask to do so.

However it makes good sense to flag it up to prospective Ts if it is an above average rating (i.e. above 50%), and you can always make it available to them electronically, which saves paper and coloured ink.

The requirement is to have an EPC in place at the time of advertising the property for sale or to let and to make it available to any prospective purchaser/T.
              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks MTG.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                  The requirement is to have an EPC in place at the time of advertising the property for sale or to let and to make it available to any prospective purchaser/T.
                  But as well as the slightly ambiguous wording "make available", the legislation does also state: "The relevant person must ensure that a valid energy performance certificate has been given free of charge to the person who ultimately becomes the buyer or tenant"

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                    10 things a landlord needs:

1. A reliable supply of rubber gloves
                    2. The ability to obliterate any sentimental attachments to the property they let out
                    3. The constitution of an ox
                    4. The patience of a saint
                    5. Enough reserve funds to cover a three month void period if necessary
                    6. A broad mind
                    7. A sense of humour
                    8. A secretarial instinct and a stock of stamped envelopes
                    9. A basic grasp of human psychology
                    10 A big plunger (and the ability to use it)
                    1. Interesting but ok! :-)
                    2. Yeah - already started doing that. Going to be difficult but will get through.
                    3. Maybe I am there with a bull.
                    4. I'm a teacher so kind of got that.
                    5. Have got 4 months!
                    6. Again - a teacher - so got this.
                    7. I have a dry sense of humour.
                    8. I love stationary.
                    9. I deal with children.
                    10. Interesting but ok! :-)

Comment

The rules to EPC's changed on 9 January 2013.

The recast Directive has put more onerous requirements on EPCs and the following changes will come into force on 9 January 2013:

The seller or landlord must provide an EPC free of charge to a prospective buyer or tenant at the earliest opportunity. A copy of the EPC must also be provided to the successful buyer or the person who takes up the tenancy.
                      Estate agents and other third parties must ensure that an EPC has been commissioned before they can market a property for sale or rent.
                      In addition, all advertisements in the commercial media* must clearly show the energy rating of the building (where available).

* 'Commercial media' means: Newspapers and magazines; written material produced by the seller/landlord/estate agent that describes the building being offered for sale or rent; or on the internet.

The Government Guidance states “From 9 January 2013 all sales or lettings advertisements in the commercial media1 should show the EPC rating of the property being advertised. There is no requirement to display the full certificate but where there is adequate space, the advertisement should show the A-G graph. However, it is recognised that this will not always be possible. In such cases the advertisement should include the actual EPC rating of the property (for example C)”.
                      Guidance paper https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-dwellings.pdf

We keep a copy of the EPC in the tenant's information file that contains the instruction manuals etc. The contents of the information file is logged in the inventory.
                      Last edited by Dinkum; 14-01-2013, 08:30 AM. Reason: Additional info
                      I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, solicitor or judge. It is simply my experience of being a landlord and what I have learnt along the way. I make no warranty for my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                        But as well as the slightly ambiguous wording "make available", the legislation does also state: "The relevant person must ensure that a valid energy performance certificate has been given free of charge to the person who ultimately becomes the buyer or tenant"
                        I stand corrected - that's a new development! Apologies for any confusion. I do think though that giving it to the T can mean emailing it to them. It would seem counter-intuitive to present them with a great wodge of printed-out paper when the whole idea is to raise consciousness of energy efficiency!

Comment

Originally posted by BigG10 View Post
                          8. I love stationary.
                          You love stationary what? Traffic?!

Comment

MTG#12 It's only one more sheet of paper and what's that when you've got a TA, prescribed info, white goods manuals, alarm testing instructions, etc etc !!

BTW is it just me thinking this or are there a lot of teachers on this forum? Or in my case ex-teacher.

Comment

Thanks Dinkum. I am glad it was only last week the rules changed. Are they retrospective though?

Do I now have to send EPC's to anyone who doesn't have one?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X