Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra Rent?

Hi there,

Signed an AST yesterday, moving in on March 1st and rent payable on the 2ndof each month, will
    a) I need to pay rent on 2nd February before I move in? or is it the day after I've moved.
    b) Does this make it two months rent advance in addition to a one month deposit?
    c) What happens at the end of the 6 months? I’ll have paid two months rent.
    d) Does this advance rent need a deposit protection?
    e) Does this two month advance rent change the type of tenancy at the end of the fixed term?

Thankyou in advance

The answers to your subsequent questions depend on the answer to (a) and although we can guess, only your landlord 'knows'. Is it a private landlord you could phone today or an agency who are not open 'til tommorrow?

Is landlord taking any sort of deposit?

Comment

Hi there,
      Just done that, I need to pay on the 2nd before I move in, I've called the landlord but thats what I agreed tosign and as I paid a deposit of one month now to secure the house that is non refundable. Is is normal to ask for rent before a month in advance before I move in and accept keys? how does that effect my contract?

Comment

Originally posted by ll 1956 View Post
        I need to pay on the 2nd before I move in,
        Above, you say you are moving in on the 1st, can you clarify when you move in, when you 1st pay 'rent' and if anything extra is due on the 2nd?

Forgive me if I am seeming dense!

Comment

Move in March 1st, deposit paid now
          They want rent on February 2nd before I move in.
          Thats will be two months in advance so what will happen at the end of the six months
          will I stop paying rent 4 months in? If so, and I want to stay on monthly after the 6 months
          at what point do I begin paying rent again? surely I do not continue paying rent as the landlord
          will always be two months ahead in rent and I will have to trust he returns it to me?

Comment

I am getting some bad vibes about this! It is established that taking rent an extra month in advance should be treated as a deposit and I wonder if the landlord thinks taking it less than a full month is a work around? The question is why? because he seems willing to comply with the deposit regulations.

You say the deposit is non-refundable? Never? Have you read this thread? http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...d-for-security do you know what kind of deposit you have paid? I would be asking him how & when he intends to protect your deposit.

Stay tuned! I don't know the answer but there are people on here who can give guidance (and may need to ask more relevant Qs).

Comment

I paid the deposit, it is a security deposit but it has not been protected but I'm sure this is to come.
              This is non refundable so that the landlord has security that I don't back out of deal and this will go towards damages at the end of the contract.

When I signed I thought the 2nd implied the day after I moved in but now he has said the month before.
              Why would I need to pay before moving in and then the day after I move in then pay again?
              Would the landlord have to protect this money along with my deposit?

How do I decide when to stop paying rent? The landlord will always be two months of rent ahead. If I move out after 6 months how does he give me the two months back?
              If I stay in the house how do I pay him monthly after the end of 6 months?

Comment

What is the start date of the tenancy?
                Will the property be available for you to move into on Feb 1st?

Comment

Originally posted by daveg View Post
                  Seems to be 1st March - 27 days after 1st rent payment!

Comment

I think we need to see the exact wording of the tenancy agreements as to (1) when it says the tenancy starts (2) what rent is payable and (3) what the rent covenant clause says.

Anticipating a reply, as a general observation if you sign a tenancy agreement with a postponed start date I cannot see you can be liable to pay any rent in respect of a period before the tenancy starts. Overall, you should be paying by way of rent whatever the rent is for the whole tenancy. To put the matter beyond doubt a well drafted agreement should provide that the initial and final payments are if appropriate of proportionate sums.

Comment

Go onto land registry here;

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/

Pay £4 and check who is the property owner.

Before paying any more money, check (with photo drivers license or passport) that the owner on land registry is the same person as the landlord or expect a very good verifiable reason why not.

Comment

It appears at first glance that the landlord wants the rent paid in advance long before move in, and nothing more.
                        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                          It appears at first glance that the landlord wants the rent paid in advance long before move in, and nothing more.
                          I bet that is what these 60 prospective tenants thought;

http://www.met.police.uk/fraudalert/...ts_advised.htm

In a simple but effective scam, fraudsters, masquerading as would-be landlords, demand tenants pay a holding deposit to secure a property. But when the tenant arrives at the property to collect the keys, having paid the deposit, they discover that it is owned or rented by an unsuspecting third party who has no intention of renting it out. In some cases, the property does not even exist.

In one case, criminals "fraudulently" let a property at least 60 times.

Comment

Originally posted by daveg View Post
                            move in date 1st March , rent paid on the 2nd of the month, it does not say which month, be it February or March, although the landlord has told me its February which seems a bit odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                              I think we need to see the exact wording of the tenancy agreements as to (1) when it says the tenancy starts (2) what rent is payable and (3) what the rent covenant clause says.
                              Tenancy starts march 1st and rent is payable monthly commencing on the 2nd, it does not state which month I just thought that I cannot pay rent before the contract starts because I don't have a tenancy then, am I correct?

I understand the deposit is to hold the house and will be used for my tenancy contract over 6 months.

Am confused about how I pay monthly if, for example will I terminate my payments to him in June to reflect the two months advance ?? and then what happens if I want to continue monthly, I don't pay for one month and then start paying again? seems a little complicated

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X