Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bailiff

Hello,

My landlord owns the freehold on a small set of flats, each of whose entrance is onto a communal hallway with a communal door from there to the street. We all have separate ASTs and each flat is self-contained.

One of my neighbours owes a considerable amount of unpaid Council Tax, and the council have now instructed bailiffs to recover the debt. (I am not a party to the dispute).

I am curious as to what the law is regarding whether my landlord can unlock the door to my neighbour's flat against my neighbour's wishes, so they can enforce the recovery for the council. This would minimise potentional damage caused by bailiffs trying to gain entry, which I'm sure the landlord is keen to avoid (and stop them taking the landlord's items if the landlord is present). Can the landlord do this?

Also, is there any legal obligation on the landlord, or residents of other flats, to allow access to the communal hallway if requested?

Thanks

I believe Baillifs have right of entry to enforce an order, but have to do so with miminal damage, so they will not just break down the door. They should attend on several occasions to try to find the occupier at home, and will sometimes bring police officer to ensure no breach of the peace. If they cannot gain access by occupier co-operation, they can employ a locksmith to enter without damage and re-secure the property.

If there are items within the flat that are the LL's property, LL would have to prove ownership. Baillifs can sieze goods but have to return them if the ownership is later proved to be the LL's.

Not been directly involved in this myself, but my brother is a locksmith!

Comment

You don't have to let them in and they can't break in on their first entry, as per 10 seconds on Google and Citizen Advice Bureau:
      http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan..._your_home.htm

Comment

The neighbour uses the flat as their second home, and only visits every few months or so, so there's a fair chance there will be no-one in to let them in on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th times, so to speak. The bailiffs have already visited once and left a letter (contents visible to everyone!)

Comment

Originally posted by maniacmartin View Post
          The neighbour uses the flat as their second home, and only visits every few months or so, so there's a fair chance there will be no-one in to let them in on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th times, so to speak. The bailiffs have already visited once and left a letter (contents visible to everyone!)
          Then (to be pedantic) your neighbour doesn't have an AST.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice Needed
            by Hudson01
            I am very sorry to hear about the issue, i can add little more to what has already been said above, I am one of those lanldords spoken about in terms of about to sell up........ all that has been pointed out as to why we are all leaving is totally true, it has simply become too much hassle and with...
            16-05-2022, 20:53 PM
          • Advice Needed
            by Confused2022
            Hello!

I an trying to get as much information and advice for someone whom is very vulnerable and has many health problems.

The issue is they have lived at a property which they’ve rented now for 2 years just over, never missed a rental payment and never had any issues,...
            15-05-2022, 15:45 PM
          • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
            by Hudson01
            I agree with one of the other posts, Company A should have sorted the whole job, it sounds like a 10 mins job with maybe a collar for the pipework being tightened up and then some basthroom sealant ...........you are right.......... just under a ' monkey'' (Arthur Daley speak) for what is a simple pipe...
            16-05-2022, 18:46 PM
          • Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
            by Laurasplog
            We have a London flat managed by an agent (full management service).

My husband and I were abroad, and got a call from the council saying the property was leaking sewage into the flat below. We contacted our agent immediately who sent someone around the same day (Company A).

16-05-2022, 12:58 PM
            by theartfullodger
            What does your agreement (or terms & conditions sent) with this say about such queries, please? I'd start there first & then probably their complaints process (if they have one)

Is this the lettings agent on the block (of flats) management agent please?

I humbly note...
            16-05-2022, 16:15 PM
            by Laurasplog
            The pipework was found to be sound. I think Company A were there as an emergency "see if it's sewage and shut off the water if necessary". They said it was a pipework problem and a sealant problem. Company B carried out a full audit on the pipes and found it was only a sealant problem....
            16-05-2022, 14:59 PM
            by Laurasplog
            The letting agent engaged all of them. We gave them an instruction to fix whatever the problem was after the notification from the council there was a problem - we pay for a full management service.

I doubt the agency will give us money back because they've paid it out directly to the contractor,...
            16-05-2022, 14:58 PM
          • Reply to Buying a tenanted residential property
            by theartfullodger
            In November 1979 BoE base rate hit 17% under Thatcher's government. My building society was kind by only raising their rates to 15%.....

IMHO rates will continue to rise. Sorry.

What you are proposing would breach your mortgage terms and possibly result in place being repo'd....
            16-05-2022, 14:30 PM
          Working...
          X