Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International students issue

Hi,

We are 2 international (EU) students looking to rent a property for the next academic year (2013/2014). The standard of student accommodation in our small town is disgusting and we've decided to go on the professional market and rent either from an agent, or a private landlord.

We had a lot of trouble last year on the student market. The landlord was unable to credit check guarantors abroad; we had to provide their P60 forms, references from previous 2 landlords (we were okay doing that, because we really have nothing to hide), references from work, and our parents had to fly to England (!) to sign the agreement too.

The whole hassle will start again this year, and I suspect that with a letting agent it will be more than mediocre.

We can't really afford to pay upfront. How to prove we are trustworthy tenants and convince potential landlords/agents that we are reliable? What would convince you?

Thanks.

A UK based guarantor or six months' rent up front, I'm afraid.

Where do your parents live?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

We're Lithuanian.

What should I understand as a British guarantor? Is it just a person based in the UK who will sign the contract? Do they have to have British citizenship, do they have to be British residents, or can they just live here? Are they going to be checked for anything? If so, what is being checked?

Comment

Originally posted by loop View Post
        We can't really afford to pay upfront. How to prove we are trustworthy tenants and convince potential landlords/agents that we are reliable? What would convince you?
        A letter from your college or university would help (in addition to the usual previous landlords references, etc).

What should I understand as a British guarantor? Is it just a person based in the UK who will sign the contract? Do they have to have British citizenship, do they have to be British residents, or can they just live here? Are they going to be checked for anything? If so, what is being checked?
        The point of a guarantor is that it's somebody the landlord could claim against in the County Court, and successfully enforce the debt, in the event that you disappeared from the UK owing rent.

Therefore, the guarantor should be UK resident, and ideally a home-owner. At the very least, someone with a reasonably high income and good employment history. Their financial status/property ownership would be checked.

Usually, a guarantor would be asked to sign a Deed of Guarantee.

Comment

Your guarantor needs to be traceable and afford to pay, in the event you vanish. The issue is that if you guys leave the country, there is no way for the landlord to chase you (or is very difficult). And you have no income and steady job. Which makes landlords worry.

It would be good if the guarantor owned a property in the UK. Even if he vanished, he would still have assets in the UK. They will be checked for their income, as you dont have any, and they need to prove they can pay.
          All views posted reflect my personal opinion only and do not constitute professional advice which I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to provide.

Comment

Any information about their residential status? I am trying to think of a Lithuanian friend or a relative, who owns a property, however they have no British citizenship, and are not even a British resident.

Comment

I believe after 5 years of exercising treaty rights in the UK EU citizens have permanent resident status. citizenship is somewhat irrelevant as EU citizens have no need to get one so quite often they dont bother. I dont see why a lithuanian national who is a homeowner is worse than a british national with no assets
              All views posted reflect my personal opinion only and do not constitute professional advice which I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to provide.

Comment

Have you spoken to your university accommodation officer?
                Ask if they run a 'head lease' scheme with private landlords (for which you don't need a guarantor).

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
                  Have you spoken to your university accommodation officer?
                  Ask if they run a 'head lease' scheme with private landlords (for which you don't need a guarantor).
                  boletus, is that where the University effectively agrees to stand surety/act as Guarantor, or does the uni become the tenant then sublet to international students or British ones who cannot produce a Guarantor?

There must be lots of British students (let alone international ones), whose parents rent and/or are retired/low income/unemployed. I often wonder how they go about getting a tenancy in a private rented house.
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Heres a link explaining;

http://housing.london.ac.uk/cms/head-leasing/

The University wants to increase the number of bed-spaces we can offer directly to our students. From our recent survey we know that students do find good quality private sector housing in London on their own. However, we also know that they find the experience daunting and often very difficult and upsetting.

We want to help them through the process by sourcing properties from landlords directly and then letting them on to them.

In effect, we will become your tenants, guaranteeing the rent through the tenancy period and returning the property in good condition with vacant possession at the end.

For the students, we will be their landlords and you will not need to have any contact with them (unless you want to).

What can we offer you?
                    •Guaranteed rent directly into your bank account.
                    •We guarantee vacant possession at the expiry of the contract and will return the property in the same condition as at the start of the tenancy, subject to fair wear and tear.
                    •We have professional management and experienced staff to manage your property
                    •51 week tenancies. If a letting is successful, we will be likely to renew.
                    •Competitive rent levels

Please note, I'm not recommending this, just pointing out it exists.

Comment

Thanks, that's very helpful.

I wonder whether all unis offer this, or just the London ones?

Comment

Any information about their residential status? I am trying to think of a Lithuanian friend or a relative, who owns a property, however they have no British citizenship, and are not even a British resident.
                        I suspect that would be a problem when it comes to credit checks etc - one 'negative' on any credit application is if you are not registered on the electoral roll.

International students are a fact of life for all Uni's - mine has a department specifically to help them. Check out your own Uni.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Mouldy silicone wear and tear?
                          aciduzzo
                          Tenants are moving out today and i am doing the final inspection later; however, last time i was at the flat i noticed the bathroom was in a poor state.

What is the general opinion on black mould that has formed inside bathroom silicone? Is it considered wear and tear? Also, the seal...
                          03-07-2017, 08:07 AM
                        • Reply to Mouldy silicone wear and tear?
                          mystic08
                          You might like to gift your new tenants some Kilrock mould cleaner which is magic in a bottle! Cheapest in the Pound shop or The Range but supermarkets sell it too. Works brilliantly on algae too. Garden pots, patios, headstones etc.
                          22-07-2017, 20:52 PM
                        • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                          MrShed
                          I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                          20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
                        • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                          jjlandlord
                          That's the exemption that allows sending data outside of the EEA, which is the issue discussed.

No, because of that very exemption....
                          22-07-2017, 19:19 PM
                        • Referencing question
                          kangoo1
                          A couple wants to rent from me, she is on maternity leave and will not be returning to her previous employment, he is permanently employed and moving due to a job transfer. I have referenced him for the full rent and his guarantor has been successfully referenced.
                          I am going to prepare the ast...
                          22-07-2017, 17:19 PM
                        • Claiming for protected deposit
                          mandm
                          This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
                          Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
                          I served the...
                          21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
                        • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                          JK0
                          I'll leave it at that. I'm not going to get into one of JPK's interminable arguments.
                          22-07-2017, 16:28 PM
                        • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                          jpkeates
                          That's simply one of the Schedule 2 exemptions which, if met, allows a process using personal data at all - all the other principles still apply in parallel (where it can be stored, be not excessive, kept up to date etc).

So, while it might be OK because it relates to a contract, there...
                          22-07-2017, 15:22 PM
                        • Excessive estate agent fees
                          Cml241
                          I have a property which I started renting out via an agency. When the contract started, they found new tenants, did the relevant checks etc and charged an upfront fee which equates to approx one month's rent. As one year has almost passed, the agent has approached me asking if I want them to 'renegotiate'...
                          21-07-2017, 16:26 PM
                        • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
                          mariner
                          A new 12 month fixed term does provide LL & T with extra security but can lead to complications for either if their resp circumstances/legislation change during the new AST.
                          Personally, I would prefer if a orig AST was for a fixed 6 month term, followed by an SPT that required both LL &...
                          22-07-2017, 14:09 PM
                        Working...
                        X