problems with landlord - not following the contract

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    problems with landlord - not following the contract


    Me and my family has been renting property for almost 10 years now. Since than we had a lot of problems with our landlord. In this 10 years he hasn't repaired anything in the house. We kept on refurbishing the house our selves, bought new washing machine, cooker, microwave, beds etc. There are also insects and mouses in the house which landlord ignores when we tell him about it, so we had to pay to get rid off them our selves.

    Couple months ago we had argument with landlord where he and his wife were using abusive language towards my son and his girlfriend who often came to visit and stay with us. Landlord caused the argument as he decided to enter a property without notice at any time using his own keys. He also has decided to do some electricity works at evening times with a guy who i believe is his friend and without a proper certificate and safety tests passed. I have a lot of video recording of this works done and also video of landlord and his wife swearing at us. The boiler also has not been working for over three years on what landlord refuses to repair. I've had invited a plumber to to plumbing check on which he said that all the plumbing in the flat has to be replaced as it is in dangerous condition, he also gave us official letter.

    I believe that for this period of almost 10 year we also have paid off all of the mortgage, and I have been advised by some of my friends that it is possible to claim the property from the landlord.

    Could you please help me with these, and what should I do?

    Thank you

    Originally posted by incognito View Post

    I believe that for this period of almost 10 year we also have paid off all of the mortgage, and I have been advised by some of my friends that it is possible to claim the property from the landlord.
    I shouldn't laugh, but I did. Your friends have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

    Call the enviromental health department, and/or move house.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong


      Call the enviromental health department as advised, and as the property
      is in such a state of disrepair, it looks like the landlord will be
      given a 28 day enforcement notice to rectify the problems.

      However, this will upset the landlord, and you could, and probably
      will be evicted ( S21 notice to quit ). So start looking for somewhere

      I complained to the enviromental health department, and was
      evicted because I DARED to, basicly, sue the landlord.
      However, the flat is still un-let after 9 months, and he has a
      £ 20,000 refurbishment to do, not just the £600 on the flat, but
      on the whle building, and all for the want of spending £ 600 in
      my flat.
      He cannot let out the flat till ALL the repairs have been done.

      Moving after being evicted was a pain, and increased rent.
      But It was worth it to see him unable to rent out the flat till
      all works were done, and him being £ 20,000 poorer.

      But "Revenge IS sweet" but it was my right, to complain.



        Please (PLEASE!!!!) stop doing the landlord's job for him & paying for stuff yoruself....

        See here for advice on Landlord harassment...

        (Sadly..) have to agree with saint..

        Hope you find somewhere with a better, more professional, landlord
        I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


          I'd be very interested in the landlord's version of events.

          OP, Why is the plumbing "dangerous"?


            Claim a property because you've paid them rent? Sounds a strange one. If you'd lived in a property without the permission of the owner and openly and adversely in accordance with their ownership then you maybe able to claim adverse possession. But all of that cannot be true as you're a tenant and have been paying rent.
            [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]



              Thanks for your advice that's probably what I will do.

              Thanks everyone for your answers.


                Thank you I will have a look


                Latest Activity