I want to be a tenant- but I have a pet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't you just ask permission? The Landlord might give it.

I personally would not be happy with dogs in my house (they all smell), esppecially a bull terrier as they could be dangerous to others.

However, I may still give permission under certasin circumstances.

Comment

WHY DO PEOPLE JUDGE DOGS BECAUSE OF A BREED,Hes the most kindest affectionate dog ever.!!!!

Comment

Love Choices Response.exactly Thanks Choices,hes Known By To Previous Landlords Who Love Him,so Ill See.let You Know.

Comment

All dogs smell regardless of pedigree. Poor argument.

ANY dog may have a bad day and have an "occasional "accident. - Again Poor argument

Maybe, you're previous LL's could give you, AND your dog, references in this respect but isn't guaranteed to overcome an individual Landlord's hesitation or misgivings.

I think the breed would also be relevant to a LL when making such a decision. i.e. Rottwieller/ German Shepherd as opposed to Yorkshire Terrier / Lhasa Apso (who by the way hardly moult and their relatives the Schitz Zu don't moult at all)

Sorry I can't be more helpful - I'm a tenant with pets - all i'm trying to do is see it from a LL's perspective, note their objections and see if you can overcome those objections ...

Originally posted by POLO View Post
          my dog goes all day ,doesnt smell cos hes pedigree and is extremely well house trained and have rented twice before where they have allowed him.i just dont have a house at the moment and dont want to be turned away.
          Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

Why don't you just ask???? Where people have asked me I've generally agreed (if I'm ok with the size of the animal in relation to the size of the property), I normally ask for a little bit of an extra deposit for the animal in case they damage the carpet or something.

The only time I've been against the pet is where the tenant a) didn't tell me in the beginning b)hasn't been paying the rent c)been generally diasagreeable.
            Petillant

Comment

I CANT AFFORD NOT TO HAVE A HOUSE.BUT I'll have to take the risk.

Comment

Pets OK

Not all dogs smell, if looked after properly. Dogs are dogs regardless of the breed. FACT.
                Having worked with dogs for the last 30 years, I can honestly state that usually it is down to the owner if the dog smells/chews furniture/barks all day long/bites people/digs holes in gardens etc. If you are honest with the landlord about your dogs behaviour patterns and temperment (all good owners want the best for their dog/s)they will normally be ok. Have rented many times, most I have had are 3 of medium size - ALL rescue dogs with past problems, never have I had a problem with the landlord, similar to many tenants I have met with pets.
                The only problem I have come across are people who do not like dogs/cats and tar all with the same brush.
                The same landlords will not usually agree to having children in the property either.
                To all the pet hating landlords, it is your choice of course, however, there are many many potential tenants with well-behaved animals so you would never experience a void period, ever.

Comment

Sorry if the previous post seems harsh. Many dogs/cats are well-behaved.
                  Many pets can and are looked after very well. Many pet owning tenants are well aware how difficult it is to find premises where pets welcome, there are fewer bad pet owning tenants than good.
                  Many pet owning tenants are in for a long term tenancy.
                  Most pet owning tenants make more effort to be a good tenant. We would appreciate an open-minded landlord, ideally who has pets themselves. Yes, pets sometimes have an upset tummy and accidents occur, this is easily cleared up, no long lingering smells, when tenancy over, most tenants would be happy to pay for the carpets to be professionally cleaned, and house returned spotless, remember most would prefer to have a good reference for future use.

Comment

You're right Choices, all landlords work to their own criteria which doesn't always suit potential tenants. One previous tenant of mine had a dog - lovely dog, no doggy smells and no problem with her having it. However, my last tenant had no pets but was a smoker (burnt the carpet) and despite having to completely redecorate due to yellow walls and clean all the carpets and curtains, I can still smell the smoke. That, I personally find offensive

Comment

Thanks,well i asked the situation about dogs and he said the owner doesnt accept cats or dogs but doesnt mind people visting with them.I suppose they say that so thay are never left.So i didnt have the guts to say.my partner will have to go out with him when thay come to do the inspections.Thay cant enter on there own accord can they without are permission?.What should i do ????If i come clean im scared they will want us to move and i dont have the money for another property.:confused

Comment

Originally posted by POLO
                        What should i do ????
                        Find a landlord who will allow you to keep a dog.

Comment

ITS NOT THAT EASY WHEN YOU HAVENT A ROOF OVER YOUR HEAD!!!!

Comment

I generally say no pets, but have allowed them when approached by tenants so long as the pet was suited to the particular property.

However, if a tenant sneaked one in I would question what else he/she might be hiding. I really think you'd be far better off just asking the question rather than spend the next 6 months worrying about it.

Good luck anyway.

Comment

ive asked but just said no cats or dogs staying but can visit?im just scared of losing the property as its with a agent.

Comment

Originally posted by POLO View Post
                                ive asked but just said no cats or dogs staying but can visit?im just scared of losing the property as its with a agent.
                                Is is not possible to speak to the LL directly or are the agents not offering to give you his name and address? If you can speak to the LL and show him your dog and that the dog is well trained e.g. sit on command, go down on command, recall on command, heal on command and go to his bed on command, the LL might relent. I probably would, especially if it was a ground floor flat and no chance of other tenants in other flats being disturbed.

The problem with sneaking him in, after you have agreed not to have a pet, may be construed at a minimum as a breach of contract, and at most, a misrepresentation to obtain goods which is more serious.
                                ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
                                  by doobrey
                                  My view would be that it is best for all concerned to bring the tenancy to an end.

If he gives notice, that ends the tenancy for both of them on expiry of that notice. This puts you in a considerably stronger position than if you give him notice (in which case you may well have to then...
                                  19-05-2022, 18:13 PM
                                • What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
                                  by HMOmike
                                  I have a house rented on a standard AST to the same tenant since 2016. He has rented at other properties of mine on a single room basis for maybe 10 years prior and is a decent guy and very reliable. He is a Latvian and in 2017 he married a lady from Ukraine. He adopted his wife’s son and all 3 have...
                                  19-05-2022, 15:35 PM
                                • Reply to Single parent renting
                                  by Dct
                                  She wants to move for reasons that are personal to her, I can't act as her gaurantor I'm the one helping her with her kids and I'm no position to do this. Some landlords need to give their heads a wobble and give single parents the benefit of the doubt
                                  19-05-2022, 18:13 PM
                                • Single parent renting
                                  by Dct
                                  A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                                  18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
                                  by KTC
                                  It would be a normal non-accelerated claim for possession, not a possession claim against trespassers occupying. Someone who stayed after their notice to quit and hence their tenancy has expired are trespassers, but they didn't originally entered as a trespassers (since they had a tenancy) so the normal...
                                  19-05-2022, 18:11 PM
                                  by HMOmike
                                  Thank you I never realised that they could jointly or severally give notice and that would end the contract for all, but it does make sense and you put it so clearly, thank you. How do I take it to court for possession? I have a reasonable grasp of S21 and S8 and have been to court for possession and...
                                  19-05-2022, 18:02 PM
                                • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
                                  by jpkeates
                                  The problem is that the agent isn't bound by the tenancy agreement, and what they do with the deposit depends on their agreement with you.

As you can't do anything with the deposit anyway, because it's the company's money and they don't agree that you can have any of it, it's a bit academic...
                                  19-05-2022, 15:57 PM
                                • Is my estate agent misleading me?
                                  by abimsalabim
                                  I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
                                  18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
                                  by jpkeates
                                  If the tenancy is joint and several, and it's in a periodic tenancy, one tenant can serve notice and that ends the tenancy for both of them. So you don't have to serve notice on anyone if you don't want to.
                                  That bit is simple.

The issue you will then face is that neither of them or...
                                  19-05-2022, 15:51 PM
                                • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
                                  by abimsalabim
                                  The tenant agreement states that the Landlord should hold onto the deposit until the dispute is resolved but, the agent is disputing this, claiming that they are the ones to hold onto the deposit as part of their Full Management Service...
                                  19-05-2022, 15:31 PM
                                Working...
                                X