4 people are going to rent my house, can I sign the contract with one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tim123456789
    replied
    Originally posted by hamilton View Post
    Unfortunately not! You would think that is the case, but it isn't.

The rent he pays to you is apparently not a deductible expense.
    no that is not right

It's right that he can't claim expenses when using "rent a room", but he can if he using "normal" accounting.

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    I can't comment on the lodger tax issue but I would say to the OP that if he signs a tenancy agreement for the whole property with just one person then he has only one person to chase if there are payment or damage issues. Is the prospective signee financially secure enough to handle such a financial burden or is the landlord exposing himself to an unenforceable debt?

Leave a comment:

• hamilton
    replied
    I hope someone will step in to tell me I've got it wrong!

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    I'm sure my ground rents are deductible. Why aren't other rents?

Leave a comment:

• hamilton
    replied
    Originally posted by JK0 View Post
    Yes, but his payable tax would be £0 wouldn't it, as he makes no profit?
    Unfortunately not! You would think that is the case, but it isn't.

The rent he pays to you is apparently not a deductible expense.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Originally posted by hamilton View Post
    The complication is that, legally speaking, your one tenant is himself a landlord, and the other three are his lodgers. He is liable to pay 40% tax on the rent he receives from them, above the rent-a-room threshold of just over 4k a year, despite the fact that he is passing it straight on to you. He also takes on repairing responsibilities. And the property is an HMO, and may or may not require a license.
    Yes, but his payable tax would be £0 wouldn't it, as he makes no profit?

Leave a comment:

• hamilton
    replied
    Originally posted by JK0 View Post
    That arrangement has worked quite well for a shared property I let in Battersea. I only have one contact for repairs, and he/she collects the rent from the other three, and pays the total to me. People have moved in and out, and they always find a replacement. They have not missed paying the rent once in nearly 13 years.

I don't take a deposit due to complication of people moving in/out. The agreement is a normal AST for the full (combined) amount of the rent. One is the tenant, and the others are permitted occupiers.
    The complication with this set-up is that your one tenant is technically landlord to the other three, who are his lodgers.

Your tenant is liable to pay 40% tax on the rent he receives from the other three, above the rent-a-room threshold of just over 4k a year. It doesn't matter that he is passing the money straight on to you, it's still treated as his taxable income.

I believe he also takes on responsibilities for repairs and safety checks, and may require insurance. The property is an HMO, and may or may not require a license.

I am writing this based on advice I've received from knowledgeable posters to this forum, who I am sure will correct me if I'm wrong on any of the details.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Originally posted by dyangx View Post
    Hi,

Four young people are going to rent my house. One has submitted all the documents I required for checking, but for the rest of the tenants, I either have received part or none documents for checking. But the one who have given me all the documents eager to move in tomorrow morning. Should I sign the tenancy agreement with him, while put another three on the contract as occupants? What kind of tenancy agreement I should use?
    It's really urgent! Please help.

Dyangx
    That arrangement has worked quite well for a shared property I let in Battersea. I only have one contact for repairs, and he/she collects the rent from the other three, and pays the total to me. People have moved in and out, and they always find a replacement. They have not missed paying the rent once in nearly 13 years.

I don't take a deposit due to complication of people moving in/out. The agreement is a normal AST for the full (combined) amount of the rent. One is the tenant, and the others are permitted occupiers.

Leave a comment:

• 4 people are going to rent my house, can I sign the contract with one?

Hi,

Four young people are going to rent my house. One has submitted all the documents I required for checking, but for the rest of the tenants, I either have received part or none documents for checking. But the one who have given me all the documents eager to move in tomorrow morning. Should I sign the tenancy agreement with him, while put another three on the contract as occupants? What kind of tenancy agreement I should use?
    It's really urgent! Please help.

Dyangx

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Carpet burn
    by Calambert
    By the way, a few days after I posted that I burned a hole in my carpet xD Karma, I guess...
    12-05-2021, 22:41 PM
  • Carpet burn
    by jase222
    Over the last three months I have been engaged in a spat with my tenants, they have been working from home and the women put her company laptop on the carpet charging, well the charger over heated and put a large burn on the carpet along with destroying the laptop.
    She has said she will not pay...
    27-03-2021, 09:37 AM
  • Reply to New landlord needs some advice
    by ash72
    Most likely the T's are still looking around for a cheaper/ better place, I usually insist that who ever is going to live they all come to see it, it shows that they are serious and I don't have to do 2nd viewings, some people will say that what ever they want, their partner will agree.... don't believe...
    12-05-2021, 22:31 PM
  • New landlord needs some advice
    by wenqi
    Hi, I am just a new landlord who is renting our first property using openrent. I do need some advice from you.

We had a very lovely lady to view our house. She looked love our property and wanted to take it straight away. Because she came alone (her partner was working), my husband advised...
    12-05-2021, 19:56 PM
  • Reply to Should I let to this person?
    by ash72
    1. 2 year old, who is looking after the child while she's out?
    2. Doesn't pass the affordability, but most likely gets aid from UC, there are more T's now getting state aid
    3. Only started job recently, may not stick to it, if she has to work long distances frequently.
    4. I'd get a...
    12-05-2021, 22:24 PM
  • Should I let to this person?
    by JK0
    A two bedroom unfurnished flat of mine fell vacant a couple of weeks ago, and I put it back with the same agent. I have received an email from them as follows:

This normally would be a no, but tenants are a bit thin on the ground at the moment. What would you guys do?...
    12-05-2021, 15:28 PM
  • Reply to In view of gov likely to extend eviction ban again
    by MdeB
    If it
    - is a national register
    - is a criminal offence to let when not on the register
    - allows courts to remove people from the register
    - makes directors legally responsible for offences committed by companies
    - allows properties let by an unregistered landlord to be...
    12-05-2021, 22:17 PM
  • In view of gov likely to extend eviction ban again
    by rob1648
    Happy easter all, our tenant stopped rent in Nov 2019 (way before Covid), after broken promises to pay we used a solicitor to issue sec 21&sec 8 , they advised us to use s21 accelerated , fast forward after eviction bans to Jan 21 finally got possession order granted , totally ignored by tenant...
    05-04-2021, 15:31 PM
  • Reply to Phased reduction in notice period
    by Perce
    Hello OS7

Yes you can apply now. Why not ? I have my warrant already. My PO is s21 accelerated. Your PO is S21 standard which is also mandatory.

I remember you wanted to wait with applying for the warrant until the ban is lifted.

What is S21 induced possession...
    12-05-2021, 21:49 PM
  • Phased reduction in notice period
    by KTC
    Down from 6 to 4 months "until at least October", and if everything goes to plan re. COVID-19, 2 months from then.

Bailiffs enforcement ban to end.

4 weeks section 8 ground 8 down from 6 months arrears to 4 months. New grounds included on "reduced" notice...
    12-05-2021, 15:48 PM
Working...
X