Tenant wants to leave early and told me to use deposit for this months rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant wants to leave early and told me to use deposit for this months rent

Tenant is 6 months into a 12 month AST and has got in touch with me to say she has just been sacked and so cannot afford the rent any more.
    She wants to terminate the contract but intents to use her deposit as what will be her final payment(due 7th Jan).

I have agreed to let her terminate early but how do I go about keeping the deposit as its held with the DPS?

Any advice please

You make it a condition of your written offer of surrender (which you should have properly drafted) that she authorises the DPS to release her deposit to you in lieu of the last month's rent. She then contacts the DPS.

If your contract states the deposit cannot be used for rent (check whether this is the case), then you will have to make it an agreed payment in acknowledgement of the early surrender offer.

Either way, don't let her off the hook until you have the deposit money.

What will you do if there is any damage or cleaning to be paid for when she vacates?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

TBH I think she just wants to get out without it costing her any more.

She does have her grandfather as a guarantor on the AST and she was very keen not to get him involved when I told her he would be liable for remainder of contract so the threat of that will be enough so that she leaves without any damage Id say.

Just want speedy resolution with current tenant to get property relet.

What would happen if I contact DPS rather than waiting for her to do it?

Comment

You could contact them and ask for the whole deposit to be paid to you - they would then contact your tenant and ask if she authorises that. She needs to say yes, of course. She might not. That's why you need a properly drafted Deed of Surrender making it a condition that she does agree.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

would this be ok to use as a template deed of surrender

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...d-of-Surrender

with addition condition that you have said?

Comment

You really need a lawyer to comment on that.

Where do you propose to add the condition and how would you word it?

Comment

thanks for your advice so far.
              After speaking to tenant she has agreed to move out with immediate effect once rent is due(mon 7th)
              She has agreed to the idea of a deed of surrender to be signed on Monday with clause that the money held in DPS is also mine and that if I get tenant quick will refund her whatever is due to her.

Comment

That sounds promising, but

(i) who has drafted/will draft the clause about the deposit in the Deed?
                (ii) does it contradict any stipulations in the tenancy contract about how the deposit may be used?

Please answer these questions.

Comment

T is actually getting off very lightly indeed, and you are giving something for very little.

You are picking up all the costs of re-renting without compensation.

And in addition you have no money left to claim against for damages and delapidations.

It would be reasonable to request that the deposit is kept to be the deposit, that the rent is paid until departure, and that you should get a sum to compensate you for the costs of reletting. And it is at a quiet time of year.

What is your cost to relet?

My minimum would be about £300-£400 plus the loss of void rent and cost of cleaning etc, unless I got lucky.

It's your right to do it, but be aware.

ML
                  Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

What you need is not an agreement by the tenant to release the deposit, but an actual release given at the same time as the tenancy is surrendered. If unsure how to secure this ask the company holding/guaranteeing the deposit.

Comment

Contact the DPS now, and get the deposit released to you imediately.
                      There is no point in doing at a later date.
                      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Thanks everyone so far.
                        The tenant has now moved out and left the house in good condition.
                        Re let should not be a problem Ive got 9 viewings lined up for Sunday/Monday after 4 days on Rightmove.
                        I have applied to the DPS for full return of deposit to myself and tenant agreed to this to cover my costs.I told her if there is anything left after my costs then I will return it to her.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Labour taxation plans
                          by SouthernDave
                          The limited company system has been abused for too long by people trying to save on tax by claiming they are a company. I know loads of people of set themselves up as limted companies and have now been caught by IR35. They have spoiled it for those of us who have proper companies to rub who used to...
                          22-01-2022, 17:55 PM
                        • Labour taxation plans
                          by steaming
                          Rachel Reeves R4 this am told the interviewer that Labour (when in power) would raise money by taxing those with BTL property much more than at present, she opined it was wrong that “they” were “getting away with it”. No challenge from BBC or fact check as to present tax. You are warned.
                          20-01-2022, 16:55 PM
                        • Reply to Labour taxation plans
                          by SouthernDave
                          Agreed. Peoples care should not be down to those who work hard to pay for. The levy is a joke and im disappointed in the conservatives for doing it....
                          22-01-2022, 17:52 PM
                        • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                          by SouthernDave
                          I thought the main issue of taking a tenant on UC is not so much the fact they are receiving benefits, but the fact that its a pain in the proverbial to evict as the council tell them to sot tight until forced out by bailiffs....
                          22-01-2022, 17:47 PM
                        • Greetings, I Come in Peace
                          by AVJ113
                          Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
                          20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
                        • Reply to Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
                          by AndrewDod
                          I think you need to ask whether he/she is responsible for the things you say, and whether these warrant immediate attention as you think they do:

a) leaking shower - what do you mean exactly. Leak from where, when...
                          b) broken burglar alarm - what is broken? What does your contract...
                          22-01-2022, 16:59 PM
                        • Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
                          by Lucylou99
                          Hi just after some advice. I have been renting the property for 4.5 years, 4 of those with a fantastic landlord and 6 months with a new landlord. When he took over he immediately increased the rent by 25%, annoying but perfectly within his rights. The main issue is maintainance and repairs. I cant report...
                          21-01-2022, 22:11 PM
                        • Reply to Occupational rent to an executor.
                          by Lawcruncher
                          It is in the nature of co-ownership that each owner owns the whole and each is therefore entitled to occupy the whole. The sister's right.therefore is not to receive rent but to occupy the property as well. If the sister does not want to share occupation but wants some benefit then, keeping things simple,...
                          22-01-2022, 16:08 PM
                        • Occupational rent to an executor.
                          by Yoda 111
                          I am currently living in my deceased mother's house which I have lived in for 46 years my sister is the executor of the Will. My mother died in February 2020 so nearly 2 years ago and now my sister want's to charge me occupational rent from the time of death up until grant of probate was granted may...
                          20-01-2022, 19:44 PM
                        • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                          by AVJ113
                          Not at all, it's all very informative, thank you. I think I might opt out of criterion 3 though, I'm not a pie and chips man myself....
                          22-01-2022, 15:20 PM
                        Working...
                        X