Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp Freddy
    replied
    I'm not asking for reimbursement because the key wasn't available there and then... I'm asking for reimbursement because I now have to get another set of keys cut for emergencies.

When we moved into the apartment (there are three of us), there was 1 (incomplete) set of keys (including remotes) between us, so we all had to get keys cut and I made sure I had a spare set.

I guess it's just a matter of speaking to the LA and see what they say and hope that they're reasonable.

Leave a comment:

• MSaxp
    replied
    I sort of agree with 8086. You have the right to have the key back now that you requested it. But I dont think they are liable to reimburse you because you got locked out and the key wasnt available there and then. You have the right to the key, but the loss is your responsibility.

I agree that it is a shame that you did something out of good will and it came back to sting.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Did you tell the estate agent specifically to keep the keys?

Why would you expect them to not give them to the landlord? They're not an emergency key providing service, they're an estate agent.

Leave a comment:

• Camp Freddy
    replied
    Thanks all of your replies. I shall take a look at that link.

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    Unfortunately, this forum deals mainly with England & Wales tenancy law, though there is a sub-forum for Scotland. You'll notice the troublesome omission - there is no Northern Ireland in that list and I have never heard any of our regular contributors express a knowledge of NI law.

Contact http://www.housingadviceni.org/

Leave a comment:

• thesaint
    replied
    It's such a minor issue, I would expect them to reimburse you whether or not they had the "right" to.
    Ask. If they say "No", then come back for some advice.

Leave a comment:

• Camp Freddy
    replied
    Not yet... I wanted to see if I had any right to ask for such a thing or if the LA was within their rights to hand over the spare keys.

After all, if they were behaving appropriately, then I'm unlikely to get a result.

Leave a comment:

• thesaint
    replied
    Have you asked the agent to either replace the keys, or reimburse you for them?

Leave a comment:

• Camp Freddy
    replied
    Well, the cost of getting a spare set of keys cut would be ideal. I can't see that I have a leg to stand on if the LA is in the right in handing over my spare set of keys to the LL.

Leave a comment:

• MrJohnnyB
    replied
    What are you hoping to achieve or just looking to vent?

Leave a comment:

• Camp Freddy
    started a topic Spare keys issue with letting agent/landlord

Spare keys issue with letting agent/landlord

A year ago, our last landlord put our apartment up for sale. At the time, I gave out my spare keys (voluntarily) to help the estate agent (now our letting agent) view the apartment with prospective buyers. When the apartment was finally sold in July, I left the keys with the letting agent as it made sense for them to hang on to a spare set of keys should an emergency ever arise.

While the apartment is in Belfast, our landlord is based in England. There are three tenants, none of whom own an entire set of "keys". There are 5 "keys" in a complete set - 2 remotes for vehicle access to complex and garage area and three "normal" keys. The spare keys I mention above are two physical keys required to gain access, on foot, to the complex and the apartment.

Well, on Friday, I needed the spare set of keys as I found myself locked out of the apartment. I called the letting agent to arrange a time where I could call in and pick up the keys, but they claimed that there was no record of my keys in their system. I asked them to chase this up as a matter of urgency as I had no access to the apartment until one of the other tenants came back after Xmas.

Suffice to say, the letting agent has only just called me back this morning to tell me that they handed over my spare set of keys to the landlord a few months ago (per the landlord's request) without telling me.

While I appreciate that the landlord has a right to a set of keys to a property he owns, did the letting agent have the right to hand over a set of keys that I had paid for (without letting me know)? Should the landlord have gotten his own set cut from my spare set?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Single parent renting
    by Hudson01
    But we don't, as said in another post, we are a business and as such we pick and choose whom we feel will be best suited to our properties and will cause the least issues. The real culprits in all of this are the (and previous) governments, who, over many decades, have failed to build enough social...
    19-05-2022, 18:41 PM
  • Single parent renting
    by Dct
    A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
    18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
  • Reply to What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
    by doobrey
    My view would be that it is best for all concerned to bring the tenancy to an end.

If he gives notice, that ends the tenancy for both of them on expiry of that notice. This puts you in a considerably stronger position than if you give him notice (in which case you may well have to then...
    19-05-2022, 18:13 PM
  • What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
    by HMOmike
    I have a house rented on a standard AST to the same tenant since 2016. He has rented at other properties of mine on a single room basis for maybe 10 years prior and is a decent guy and very reliable. He is a Latvian and in 2017 he married a lady from Ukraine. He adopted his wife’s son and all 3 have...
    19-05-2022, 15:35 PM
  • Reply to Single parent renting
    by Dct
    She wants to move for reasons that are personal to her, I can't act as her gaurantor I'm the one helping her with her kids and I'm no position to do this. Some landlords need to give their heads a wobble and give single parents the benefit of the doubt
    19-05-2022, 18:13 PM
    by KTC
    It would be a normal non-accelerated claim for possession, not a possession claim against trespassers occupying. Someone who stayed after their notice to quit and hence their tenancy has expired are trespassers, but they didn't originally entered as a trespassers (since they had a tenancy) so the normal...
    19-05-2022, 18:11 PM
    by HMOmike
    Thank you I never realised that they could jointly or severally give notice and that would end the contract for all, but it does make sense and you put it so clearly, thank you. How do I take it to court for possession? I have a reasonable grasp of S21 and S8 and have been to court for possession and...
    19-05-2022, 18:02 PM
  • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
    by jpkeates
    The problem is that the agent isn't bound by the tenancy agreement, and what they do with the deposit depends on their agreement with you.

As you can't do anything with the deposit anyway, because it's the company's money and they don't agree that you can have any of it, it's a bit academic...
    19-05-2022, 15:57 PM
  • Is my estate agent misleading me?
    by abimsalabim
    I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
    18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
    by jpkeates
    If the tenancy is joint and several, and it's in a periodic tenancy, one tenant can serve notice and that ends the tenancy for both of them. So you don't have to serve notice on anyone if you don't want to.
    That bit is simple.

The issue you will then face is that neither of them or...
    19-05-2022, 15:51 PM
Working...
X