• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by John Duff View Post
    Do I have an HMO? YES

Do I need a licence? NO
    Not necessarily true. You may indeed need a licence if your local council exercises recently granted additional licensing powers. Best to check.

Do I need to provide a lounge? NO
    Again - this may be wrong.

See Lawcruncher's answer, above #2.

In other words, if the current Ts' agreements allow them use of the lounge as well as their individual bedrooms, the kitchen, bathroom, etc, then yes, until those agreements end, you do have to provide a lounge.

In this case, you could only use the lounge as an additional and separately demised bedroom if you issue them all with new agreements which allow them access to all the communal areas (clearly identified) but not that room.

They are under no obligation to accept this changed agreement and if they don't, you would have to seek possession before re-letting.

Leave a comment:

• John Duff
    replied
    Do I have an HMO? YES

Do I need a licence? NO

Do I need to provide a lounge? NO

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Once you have 5 or more tenants in an HMO you may find that the kitchen and bathroom amenities are inadequate (legally and/or practically). Tread carefully.

Ring your council and ask the housing dept. what their rules are.

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    Originally posted by mariner View Post
    Also if you convert Lounge to rented 5th bedroom you will have prob created a licensable HMO with additional LL cost implications for whole propery.
    Mariner is quite right if the property is 3 floors or the council has discretionary licensing. I suspect a '3 bed' would only be 2 floors, but I could so easily be wrong.

Originally posted by johnboy View Post
    I would guess it is a HMO already.
    It certainly is, but is it currently a licensable HMO?

Leave a comment:

• johnboy
    replied
    I would guess it is a HMO already.

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    Also if you convert Lounge to rented 5th bedroom you will have prob created a licensable HMO with additional LL cost implications for whole propery.

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    Irrespective of whether the lounge is used, it depends on whether you said the tenants could use it.

Leave a comment:

• swift1
    started a topic Do I have to provide a lounge?

Do I have to provide a lounge?

Hi,

I've tried googling this but can't find an answer.
    I currently have a 3 bed semi, 4 rooms are let and 1 room is being used as a lounge.
    Before I used to let the whole house to one set of people. I've now ended up with each bedroom being let individually to different people.
    The lounge doesn't get used. Can I convert the lounge into a bedroom and let this as well? or do I legally need to provide a lounge?

Thanks for your help.

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X