Helping a friend out - tenancy agreement advice

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Helping a friend out - tenancy agreement advice

    I've let my property out a few times now and have a tenancy agreement prepared. However, I've agreed to help a friend out and to check a new tenant in for him.

    My main thought/concern is amending the wording as I will be signing the tenancy on his behalf, but I know I still need to mention his contact details in there.

    For example, on page 1, my agreement says:

    This agreement is between ..... of....... (landlord) and ..... of ..... (tenant)

    Should I keep this as is, or is this agreement now between me as "agent, signing on behalf of the landlord" and tenant? Can I then simply insert the landlords details later in the agreement as the location to send Notices if required?

    Why cannot LL sign your form himself?

    Tech you are not his Agent as no business Contract exists between you & LL, just friendly help. IMO

    Also are you sure your AST format is valid. Best get it checked by solic specialising in LL&T Law or use NLA format.


      Unless you'd like to take on the landlord's legal obligations in respect of the tenancy, then put your friend's name down as landlord on the contract.

      If you are going to act as agent on behalf of your friend-landlord, then you should put this agreement in writing. Be aware that you may, as agent, take on legal liabilities, not least, if you are the one who receives the tenant's deposit on behalf of the LL, and either you or LL fails to protect it and provide the prescribed information, then the T may claim 3x the value of the deposit from you, the agent.

      Supposedly helping out a friend could turn into a lot more than you anticipated.


        You simply sign on his behalf.
        Signed "N Griffiths" on behalf of the landlord "Mr Landlord".

        You can sign as his agent if you want.
        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong


          If your friend is going to be a non UK resident then you could easily be liable for any income tax due from rental income unless an exemption has been obtained by him for you not to deduct tax.
          The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


          Latest Activity


          • Reply to Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
            by HobbitShire
            Sorry but I must reitterate that she DID provide all documents which were initially requested before both parties signed the lease. This new, rigid requirement for a utility bill only came a day before the agreed move-in date.

            This is not a case of a prospective tenant having no paper trail....
            20-01-2022, 01:28 AM
          • Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
            by HobbitShire
            My partner has recently signed a lease through a well known property agent in London.

            The lease was also signed by the landlord. References from current + previous employer, landlord, etc, and proof of address were requested before signing, and provided.

            Upon signing the lease...
            20-01-2022, 00:57 AM
          • Reply to Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
            by HobbitShire
            Firstly, she already provided the previous lease, along with a document from the municipality of Amsterdam stating that she was registered as living there. I paid the bills as we were living together, and she has closed her Dutch bank account (as is required when you are no longer a resident). I'm sure...
            20-01-2022, 01:11 AM
          • Reply to Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
            by Jon66
            No bank statements with the old address on? These are available freely from your online account, or previous utility bills, council tax bills etc. I find it difficult to accept that they are unable to provide something. I would have concerns if you were my prospective tenant. You need to provide the...
            20-01-2022, 01:02 AM
          • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
            by minorbark
            When you put it like that I'm more inclined to edge towards the S21 route regardless. As much as part of me feels some compassion for the guy and doesn't want to lump more stress on top of someone who appears to be struggling already, as has been said before, none of us are acting as a charity.
            19-01-2022, 22:51 PM
          • Property damaged. Advice please
            by minorbark
            Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

            TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
            18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
          • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
            by minorbark
            Thank you.

            My initial contact with the police was just a phone call to the local station. As I almost half expected they wouldn't give up much info, I didn't particularly push back when they said as much and I left it at that. A formal complaint might fill in a few blanks in the story but...
            19-01-2022, 22:37 PM
          • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
            by Hudson01
            A back door way into finding out what did happen (or more info than you have now), is to ask for a callback from the local PCSO who covers the beat area where the tenant lives (go online and start a live chat), he or she will know far more about your tenant that a faceless comms operator at HQ or anyone...
            19-01-2022, 22:17 PM
          • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
            by DoricPixie
            Just because someone knocks on your door, even if it crescendos to them banging loudly on your door, it doesn’t mean you have to answer it or have to go and investigate.

            If the tenant suffers from mental health issues and the police were sent round because someone thought the tenant’s...
            19-01-2022, 21:47 PM
          • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
            by WebLand
            From painful personal experience of this issue... You should formally contact the police, ask them why they broke the door down and ask for compensation. Their lawyer will then write to you with some information which may be useful for you to know (but not giving very much detail). I expect they'll...
            19-01-2022, 21:31 PM