Helping a friend out - tenancy agreement advice

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Helping a friend out - tenancy agreement advice

    I've let my property out a few times now and have a tenancy agreement prepared. However, I've agreed to help a friend out and to check a new tenant in for him.

    My main thought/concern is amending the wording as I will be signing the tenancy on his behalf, but I know I still need to mention his contact details in there.

    For example, on page 1, my agreement says:

    This agreement is between ..... of....... (landlord) and ..... of ..... (tenant)

    Should I keep this as is, or is this agreement now between me as "agent, signing on behalf of the landlord" and tenant? Can I then simply insert the landlords details later in the agreement as the location to send Notices if required?

    Why cannot LL sign your form himself?

    Tech you are not his Agent as no business Contract exists between you & LL, just friendly help. IMO

    Also are you sure your AST format is valid. Best get it checked by solic specialising in LL&T Law or use NLA format.


      Unless you'd like to take on the landlord's legal obligations in respect of the tenancy, then put your friend's name down as landlord on the contract.

      If you are going to act as agent on behalf of your friend-landlord, then you should put this agreement in writing. Be aware that you may, as agent, take on legal liabilities, not least, if you are the one who receives the tenant's deposit on behalf of the LL, and either you or LL fails to protect it and provide the prescribed information, then the T may claim 3x the value of the deposit from you, the agent.

      Supposedly helping out a friend could turn into a lot more than you anticipated.


        You simply sign on his behalf.
        Signed "N Griffiths" on behalf of the landlord "Mr Landlord".

        You can sign as his agent if you want.
        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong


          If your friend is going to be a non UK resident then you could easily be liable for any income tax due from rental income unless an exemption has been obtained by him for you not to deduct tax.
          The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


          Latest Activity